Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Richard's 50 for 2009

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments good job on 10...was that fiction? heehee

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 36 comments Richard, your numbers 1 & 11 are on my to-read list... I just need to get motivated. Quite impressive, the titles you've already read!

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments RE: Spenser series, by Robert Parker - is this the same Spenser that the TV series 'Spenser For Hire' is about? I think Spenser was played by Robert Urich, who is now deceased.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Richard wrote: "Carol wrote: "RE: Spenser series, by Robert Parker - is this the same Spenser that the TV series 'Spenser For Hire' is about? I think Spenser was played by Robert Urich, who is now deceased."

Yes..."
Richard, I'm seeing more and more books in here that were made into movies/tv shows! Could be an idea for a new blog...'our favorite books into shows' kinda thing. Do you think people would respond?

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments Richard wrote: "Carol wrote: "Richard, I'm seeing more and more books in here that were made into movies/tv shows! Could be an idea for a new blog...'our favorite books into shows' kinda thing. Do you think people..." And this is Avery Brooks of 'Deep Space Nine' fame. I must confess, I only watched Spenser For Hire a few times, and my impression at the time was that the character of Hawk outshined the character of Spenser. There was just something about him that was 'bigger and better'. When I first saw AB on DS9 I didn't realize he was 'Hawk', the two roles have such a different dynamic. He also looked different as Hawk. That's what tells me if an actor is worth watching, if he/she can bring something unique to a different kind of role. Since you said that Robert Urich didn't fit the mental image you had of Spenser, perhaps I would find the book a more enjoyable story than the series, and perhaps spending the time to read.