CUPCAKES WAR READING CHALLENGE 2012 discussion

Cupcakes War Reading Challenge > What Chick-Lit Book have you decided to read first?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

Brenda Gail | 285 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

It is hard to believe that it is June already and Chick-Lit month is here! What book have you chosen to be your first for this month??

Also, it seems in our poll of what to read and discuss together - it seems that we have a winner! Check out the poll.

Let me know what you are reading!

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela I actually am going to read One For The Money...seeing as how I didn't have the time to read it when we were reading it together. :) Thought it would be perfect to read for Chick Lit Month.

message 3: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Jun 01, 2012 08:38AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) I thought Janet Evanovich wrote cozy mysteries, but I guess they are also under Chick-lit. I have Smokin' Seventeen for some other challenges I am doing, so will be reading it.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) Sure is a long title Lol. :D

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "Sure is a long title Lol. :D"

I know!

message 7: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

Amy, you are ready! That is probably the longest title I have ever heard!
I am going to be reading lots of Janet Evanovich this month hopefully. I have read the first three with Stephanie Plum and hope to read at least three more. I bought the books used from Paperback Swap - I love that place!

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments Brenda wrote: "Amy, you are ready! That is probably the longest title I have ever heard!
I am going to be reading lots of Janet Evanovich this month hopefully. I have read the first three with Stephanie Plum a..."

I know! A friend of mine suggested this one just as "Bitter Is the New Black". I laughed when I added it and saw the complete title, and I have to say it's really funny so far. I looked up some more books by Jen Lancaster and they've all got really long titles like that. I've never been to Paperback Swap...I'll have to check it out. I'll probably read some Stephanie Plum this month too (:

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie | 83 comments Brenda wrote: "Amy, you are ready! That is probably the longest title I have ever heard!
I am going to be reading lots of Janet Evanovich this month hopefully. I have read the first three with Stephanie Plum a..."

You will have let me know what your username is on PBS so that we can maybe swap with each other.

message 10: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Jun 01, 2012 07:17PM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) I also love paperback swap. :D I can find books there that I cannot find anywhere else. I also love thriftbooks.com

message 11: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

I know same with me Melissa. If I can't find a book anywhere else, I can usually find it on Paperback Swap. In fact, I saw a book just the other day which was by an Australian author and I couldn't get it through Amazon but I found it on PBS. I also found it at Alibris but it was expensive. At PBS it only cost me 1 credit!!!

Julie, I'll have to look to see what my username is that I use. I think it might be my email address. I'll let you know!

I am liking my first Chick-Lit book that I am reading.

message 12: by Carissa (new)

Carissa one book I looking at reading is Identical Differences by Erynn Mangum

and Miss Match also by Erynn Mangum

and something by Sophie Kinsella

message 13: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

I just received "Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella today from Paperback Swap. Maybe I'll make that book my next choice!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments I just finished Bitter is the New Black Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart-Ass, or Why You Should Never Carry a Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office A Memoir by Jen Lancaster by Jen Lancaster. I just have to say...HILARIOUS! I must warn though that there is some "strong" language, but if you can look past that it's a really funny book. I will probably read more by her. She is definitely one to say EXACTLY what she thinks...lol. She is also really honest about herself, and I admire her for that.

I'll be starting Single Girl Summer by Deanna Kimberly Burrell Looking forward to it!

message 15: by Julie (last edited Jun 05, 2012 07:58PM) (new)

Julie | 83 comments I think I will start May off with The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty The Center of Everything. I haven't decided on the rest.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments I finished Single Girl Summer.
Now I'm reading Confessions of a Shopaholic.

message 17: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

How did you like Single Girl Summer?

message 18: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

I just finished Good in Bed. I really liked it. Now I am going to start reading Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin and also Single Girl Summer

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments Brenda wrote: "How did you like Single Girl Summer?"

It wasn't bad. The story and characters were good, but I just didn't relate at all. I don't think I'd read another one like it.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments I finished Confessions of a Shopaholic last night. I'm really surprised by how much I liked it. It was a really cute, funny book. I plan to read the rest in the Shopaholic series.

My next book is Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel. I started it this morning, and I'm really liking it already.

message 21: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

I know I really liked that book also. I have gotten some of the others from Paperback Swap and Goodwill. I think that Shopaholic Ties the Knot is her latest!

I am reading Emily Giffin's book, "Heart of the Matter" and I really like it a lot!

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments Brenda wrote: "I know I really liked that book also. I have gotten some of the others from Paperback Swap and Goodwill. I think that Shopaholic Ties the Knot is her latest!

I am reading Emily Giffin's book, "H..."

Hi Brenda! I'll have to add "Heart of the Matter" to my TBR list. Have you seen the Confessions of a Shopaholic movie? I was wondering if it's any good?

message 23: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

I haven't seen it yet but my niece who is here with me today at work said that she saw it and it was funny!

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara | 5 comments I just joined the challenge and first on my list is the TIme Traveler's Wife. I have been wanting to read this book for a while now. ;)

message 25: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

So glad that you joined us, Sara! I saw that movie but never read the book. Let me know how you liked it!

We have been having fun reading our Chick-Lit this month! There are so many great books to choose from. Again, welcome to our group.

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments Sara wrote: "I just joined the challenge and first on my list is the TIme Traveler's Wife. I have been wanting to read this book for a while now. ;)"

I've read The Time Travelers Wife and loved it. For me it was a little slow at first but picked up nicely. Hope you like it.

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments Brenda wrote: "I haven't seen it yet but my niece who is here with me today at work said that she saw it and it was funny!"

I watched it yesterday and it was really cute although it's only loosely based on the books...lots of diferences. It was funny though, and I liked it.

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments Just finished Wallflower in Bloom: A Novel.
Really enjoyed it!

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments My next chic-lit read will beAngry Housewives Eating Bon Bons. I read Oh My Stars by Lorna Landvik and really liked it. So I've got high hopes for this one'

message 30: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

Amy wrote: "My next chic-lit read will beAngry Housewives Eating Bon Bons. I read Oh My Stars by Lorna Landvik and really liked it. So I've got high hopes for this one'"

OMG! I LOVE THIS FUNNY TITLE! Are enjoy reading it?

message 31: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Jun 21, 2012 08:12AM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) I finished Smokin' Seventeen and my next book is going to be Girls In Pants: The Third Summer Of The Sisterhood. I haven't read any of the other books in the series, but I really have wanted to. The Bookmobile only had this book and another one that is like a reunion between the girls.

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie | 83 comments Well I finally finished The Center of Everything. It was not the best book ever, but I was disappointed more by the ending. In my opinion there really wasn't an ending, it just stopped.

Now I plan to read Nights In Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks and then Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski .

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy | 142 comments Julie wrote: "Well I finally finished The Center of Everything. It was not the best book ever, but I was disappointed more by the ending. In my opinion there really wasn't an ending, it just stopped.

Now I ..."

I've never read Nights in Rodanthe, but I liked the movie. Looking forward to hearing what you think of this one!

message 34: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

I think that is supposed to be a good one! Let us know!

message 35: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "I finished Smokin' Seventeen and my next book is going to be Girls In Pants: The Third Summer Of The Sisterhood. I haven't read any of the other books in the series, but I really have wanted to. ..."

I just love the Stephanie Plum books. I have only read the first three! I need more reading time! I have some of the Sisterhood books that I think I got at Goodwill but I just haven't read them yet. Let me know if you like them.

message 36: by W. Donna (new)

W. Donna | 18 comments I finished reading One For The Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich . I liked it. I read
Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15) by Janet Evanovich and Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum, #16) by Janet Evanovich last summer, now I understand some of the history between Stephanie and her boyfriends.

I also just finished Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2) by Lisa Kleypas . This was a Goodreads book. It was a page turner. Great story.

message 37: by Julie (new)

Julie | 83 comments I just finished Nights in Rodanthe. I loved it! I was sucked into the story immediately. It made me cry, as most Nicholas Sparks books do, I am coming to find out. Being a male author, how can he write like he does?? He is so in-tune with women. I wonder if he is this romantic and sensitive in real life.

I will be starting Ten Things we Did Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski next.

message 38: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

Wonder if he cries at movies? I know I think I have cried every time I have read his books. I guess he is just a sensitive guy in touch with what makes us women tick!

message 39: by Brenda, Lone Wolf (new)

W. Donna wrote: "I finished reading One For The Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich. I liked it. I read
Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15) by Janet Evanovich and Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum, #16) by Janet Evanovich last summer, now I understand some of the history betwee..."

W. Donna wrote: "I finished reading One For The Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich. I liked it. I read
Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15) by Janet Evanovich and Sizzling Sixteen (Stephanie Plum, #16) by Janet Evanovich last summer, now I understand some of the history betwee..."

I saw that Rainshadow Road was supposed to be good. I love page turners.

message 40: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Jun 26, 2012 08:11AM) (new)