Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

ABOUT BOOKS AND READING > Summer reads(2012)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 19 comments This thread is basically for what you plan on reading this summer. I'll start

-the stand-Stephen king-1152 pages

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Darling - Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs (coming out August 2012) - 304 pages
- The Professor And The Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of The Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester - 272 pages
- Bitterblue by Kristen Cashore, book 3 in Graceling Trilogy - 576 pages

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I hope to finish the "Kent Family Chronicles" by John Jakes (a series of historical novels).

Right now I'm reading The Rebels, which is #2 in the collection. I find the books compelling, entertaining, and educational as well. This is history brought to life, the story of a family which started with a young boy in Europe (he soon changes his name to "Philip Kent") who emigrates to America before the Revolutionary War. The various books trace the family's experiences through all the stages of American history. Very exciting.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6319 comments I'm going to get back into Janny Wurts's War of Light & Shadow series since she's writing the last one now. I read the first two books, the second being Ships Of Merior & will probably jump right into the the third, Warhost of Vastmark. It's been a while, but I've been thinking about the books & can still remember everything pretty clearly, even though I've probably read 200 books since then, 100 of them other fantasies. That pretty amazing & a real testament to her writing.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: "I'm going to get back into Janny Wurts's War of Light & Shadow series since she's writing the last one now. I read the first two books, the second being Ships Of Merior & will probably jump right ..."

Don't forget to mention that Janny Wurts is accessible as a poster at the following GR group, "Beyond Reality":
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...
Even her posts are cleverly written and intelligent.

Here's a link to a post where I commented on Janny's style of writing:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike | 19 comments (if I finish the stand) I want to finish the Among the hidden series by Margaret Peterson haddix then I'm going to finish all of the harry potter series. That should lead me through the summer.

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jun 01, 2012 04:43PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Mike wrote: "(if I finish the stand) I want to finish the Among the hidden series by Margaret Peterson haddix then I'm going to finish all of the harry potter series. That should lead me through the summer."

For reference:
Among the Hidden

Shadow Children Complete Set, Books 1 7: Among The Hidden, Among The Impostors, Among The Betrayed, Among The Barons, Among The Brave, Among The Enemy, And Among The Free

by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Wow, there are a lot of them... :)

Genre: Science Fiction / Young Adult