Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's May 2012 Reads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments While May on the whole was a totally crappy month at work, the reading was good! Not a stinker in the bunch!

Gem of a Ghost (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #3) by Sue Ann Jaffarian Gem of a Ghost by Sue Ann Jaffarian: 3rd in Ghost of Granny Apples series and another good read. I still like the 2nd one the best. Grade: 7.5

The Selection  by Kiera Cass The Selection by Kiera Cass: another YA dystopian, though the dystopia wasn't really terribly extreme, IMHO. I had read that the CW was thinking about doing a series based on this so thought I'd get it read ahead of time (the ended up not picking it up for the fall season). A bit liked an amped up "The Bachelor/Bachelorette", which I absolutely loathe on TV, but I actually liked this book. Definite potential for the 2nd one. Grade: 8.5

Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth Insurgent by Veronica Roth: 2nd in YA DIVERGENT dystopian trilogy and MUCH better than the first one. I'm a minority with my opinion on DIVERGENT, but it just didn't do much for me. This book told me more about what I wanted to know. Grade: 8

Robert B. Parker's Lullaby by Ace Atkins Robert B. Parker's Lullaby by Ace Atkins: I thought Atkins did an excellent job of continuing on with the Spenser saga! The bad guys were despicable and Spenser & Hawk saved the day. Grade: 8.5

Brownies and Broomsticks (A Magical Bakery Mystery #1) by Bailey Cates Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates: 1st in a new series and while not a bad read, nowhere near the Home Crafting series she writes as Cricket MacRae. Grade: 6.5

Black Dawn (The Morganville Vampires, #12) by Rachel Caine Black Dawn by Rachel Caine: newest in the Morganville Vampires series, and hands down one of my top 3 favorite series in any genre. Loved it and Shane, my favorite character, was one of the main focuses of the story. Grade: 9.5

Pages of Sin A Bibliophile Mystery - An eSpecial from New American Library by Kate Carlisle Pages of Sin: A Bibliophile Mystery - An eSpecial from New American Library by Kate Carlisle: a novella from one of my favorite cozy series and a fun read. My 2nd Kindle read. Grade: 8

Monkey Wrench by Terri Thayer Monkey Wrench by Terri Thayer: 4th in Quilting mystery series. Had been a few years since the last one, which was a bit disappointing, so I didn't figure there would be anymore of these. Was happy to find this one and the story was quite good! Grade: 8.5

Don't Die Under the Apple Tree by Amy Patricia Meade Don't Die Under the Apple Tree by Amy Patricia Meade: 1st in a new WWII time period "Rosie the Riveter" series and a fun read. Ms. Meade did her homework on the time period and I really liked this one! Grade: 8

50% Off Murder by Josie Belle 50% Off Murder by Josie Belle: 1st in Good Buy Girls series. This is a pen name for Jenn McKinlay who writes 2 other cozy series that I really like. This one was a good first effort for this series and I'll read the next one. Grade: 8

Balthazar by Claudia Gray Balthazar by Claudia Gray: Ms. Gray wrote the YA Evernight series which I loved until the last one. This book deals with one of the other Evernight major characters who was a favorite of mine. I really enjoyed getting a better look at Balthazar's life, both past & present, and will be looking for the continuation of this story. Grade: 8.5

Bone Yard by Donna Ball Bone Yard by Donna Ball: Ms. Ball had a paper & ink series a few years ago with a main character named Raine Stockton. Raine is a dog trainer who has a trained search & rescue dog. Has been several years since the last book in the series came out and I was happy to find that she has several more Raine stories available for the Kindle. Enjoyed this one and will be picking up the others! Grade: 7.5

A Deadly Grind (A Vintage Kitchen Mystery #1) by Victoria Hamilton A Deadly Grind by Victoria Hamilton: 1st in new Vintage Kitchen series and another enjoyable first effort. Liked the vintage kitchenware info, too! Grade: 8.5

I saved the new Sookie book for the end of the month, sort of a treat for surviving May, and am enjoying the visit with some my favorite characters! It'll be my first book finished in June.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1201 comments Hope your work gets better in June. At least you had a good month reading. Lots of interesting titles I just requested Don't Die Under the Apple Tree.

message 3: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Great reading month, Melodie. I think I need to get Robert Parker's Lullaby - too hard to say a final goodbye to Spenser.

message 4: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Schneider (jaschneider) | 3 comments Melodie, being able to look forward to the evening's great read waiting is a huge stress reliever for me :)

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Great month Melodie! I see three that I've read...and I totally agree with your Lullaby review! Two others are on my wish list ;)

message 6: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Good month, Mel. What is a quilting mystery? I thought you just stuck a needle into something and a blanket fell out.

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments as usual looks like a great reading month for you. I have the beginning ones of carlisle on the nook. never tried her books before. I have both of roth's I was going to do the first as a group read but I wasn't able to get to it. they had just done the second one so hearing good reviews on it. I'll get around to them at some point. it seems I'm reading alot of that type of book lately or YA so need a break for awhile with other stuff before I can get back to them. between the clare series and frost series I'm getting my full of vampires or YA type reading.

message 8: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Melodie wrote: "While May on the whole was a totally crappy month at work, the reading was good! Not a stinker in the bunch!

Gem of a Ghost (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #3) by Sue Ann Jaffarian Gem of a Ghost by Sue Ann Jaffarian: 3rd in Ghost of Grann..."

A good amount of reading this month for you.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14418 comments Melodie- I hope the work place stress is relieved soon, and congrats - you did have a good month! I have been tempted by the Morganville Vampires series.
Melodie wrote: "While May on the whole was a totally crappy month at work, the reading was good! Not a stinker in the bunch!
I saved the new Sookie book for the end of the month, sort of a treat for surviving May, and am enjoying the visit with some my favorite characters! It'll be my first book finished in June. "