Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > June 2012 Purchases

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1866 comments Mod
Share your June purchases here.

message 2: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I brought this a few days ago. It just arrived in the post today.

The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney

message 3: by Joseph (last edited Jun 01, 2012 04:39PM) (new)

I just got a delivery today to start off the month with: 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover (Jazz Tremaine #1) by Linda Wisdom Never Cry Wolf (Night Watch, #4) by Cynthia Eden Unhappy Medium by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel Copper Beach (Dark Legacy, #1) by Jayne Ann Krentz

message 4: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 71 comments Bought Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent People of the Wolf (The First North Americans, #1) by W. Michael Gear (which is signed by the author!) Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson and Ascendant (Killer Unicorns, #2) by Diana Peterfreund from half-priced books.

message 5: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Destiny. by Sally Beauman Blood of Ambrose (Morlock Ambrosius, #1) by James Enge The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan Gone But Not Forgotten by Phillip Margolin Jackdaws by Ken Follett Fear Nothing (Moonlight Bay, #1) by Dean Koontz Patty Hearst Her Story by Patricia Campbell Hearst The Holcroft Covenant by Robert Ludlum Above Top Secret The Worldwide UFO Cover-up by Timothy Good Complicit  by Nicci French Close Up by Len Deighton The Tower of Babel by Morris L. West Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz Intensity by Dean Koontz Who Do You Think You Are, Charlie Brown?  by Charles M. Schulz Good Ol' Snoopy (Good Ol' Snoopy) by Charles M. Schulz The Eyes of Darkness by Dean Koontz Unholy Fire by Whitley Strieber The Woman in Black (Movie Tie-in Edition) A Ghost Story by Susan Hill The Bondmaid by Pearl S. Buck Last Days of the Sicilians by Ralph Blumenthal For The Love Of Peanuts (Coronet Books) by Charles M. Schulz Beach Music by Pat Conroy Billy by Whitley Strieber I Never Promised You a Rose Garden  by Joanne Greenberg Lies of Silence by Brian Moore The Bridges Of Madison County by Robert James Waller Before She Met Me by Julian Barnes Shattered by Dean Koontz Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz This is my harvest from a yard sale... Another yard of books!

message 6: by Veronika (new)

message 7: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 151 comments Conquered by a Highlander (Children Of The Mist, #4) by Paula Quinn ? First book of June.

message 8: by cazdoll (new)

cazdoll | 23 comments I bought 3 so far this month Evening Class by Maeve Binchy The Beach House by James Patterson and I bought The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins for my holidays in two weeks time

message 9: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Today I bought 2 Kurt Vonneguts for my son: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
and, of course, one for me: The Bridge by Doug Marlette .

message 10: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) Ellie wrote: "Today I bought 2 Kurt Vonneguts for my son: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
and, of course, one for me: The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2) by John Flanagan."

Just bought Slaughterhouse 5 for myself last month...hopefully I'll enjoy it.
Bought The Family Fang A Novel by Kevin Wilson *explodes with anticipation* and Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King today.

message 11: by Nicole D. (last edited Jun 03, 2012 05:35PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 130 comments for my mom's b-day: Unspeakable (Tracers, #2) by Laura Griffin and Snapped (Tracers #4) by Laura Griffin
and for me
The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer

message 13: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 130 comments The Toll-Gate by Georgette Heyer and The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer @ barnes and noble today

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (26kathryn) | 42 comments So far this month I've bought The Drowning Pool by Syd Moore The Pledge by Kimberly Derting and Rosebush by Michele Jaffe

message 15: by Joseph (new)

Got Grimm Fairy Tales: Different Seasons Volume 2 delivered, finally.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Bought The Accidental City Improvising New Orleans by Lawrence N. Powell for my step-dad for Father's Day.

And bought these for myself:
The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam
Company Commander The Classic Infantry Memoir of World War II by Charles B. MacDonald
The Black Sheep The Definitive History of Marine Fighting Squadron 214 in World War II by Bruce Gamble

message 17: by Rhianna (new)

Rhianna Clawson just bought Twin Souls (Twin Souls, #1) by DelSheree Gladden for my kindle :)

message 18: by Veronika (last edited Jun 06, 2012 05:41PM) (new)

Veronika (vforveronika) loved the first one so much that I had to go out to buy the second one The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson

message 19: by Colby (last edited Jun 08, 2012 06:18PM) (new)

Colby (colbz) Hit up my local used bookstore today, and ended up getting some really cheap classics. :D
Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger Animal Farm by George Orwell Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer by Joseph Conrad Beowulf by Unknown
Also, was just given a book that we have to read for AP English over the summer.
How to Read Literature Like a Professor A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines by Thomas C. Foster

message 20: by Joseph (new)

Went to Chicago's Printers Row Lit Fest today and picked up: Murder Past Due by Miranda James The Seventh Sinner by Elizabeth Peters Robber's Wine (Jane Lawless, #7) by Ellen Hart

message 21: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 71 comments Bought Reunited by Hilary Weisman Graham and You Are Here by Jennifer E. Smith

And relatives bought me If I Stay by Gayle Forman and Forgotten by Cat Patrick

and was given Island in the Sea of Time (Nantucket, Book 1) by S.M. Stirling , Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #9) by Lois McMaster Bujold , and Legend in Green Velvet by Elizabeth Peters .

message 23: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 411 comments It's been a rough week!! To make myself feel better:
Sam's Club: Shayla Witherwood A Half-Faerie Tale by Tamra Torero The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze Revived by Cat Patrick The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, #6) by Eoin Colfer The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl, #7) by Eoin Colfer Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys Dark Vengeance Vol. 2 Winter, Spring by Jeff Mariotte Dark Vengeance Vol. 1 by Jeff Mariotte
Walmart: Wrecked by Anna Davies Immortal City (Immortal City #1) by Scott Speer

message 24: by Joseph (last edited Jun 10, 2012 05:47PM) (new)

Only two more at the Lit Fest today, not too many used book sellers there this year. :-( The Annotated Hunting of the snark and Sepulchre

message 25: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katmcv) Today at a charity book fair:

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton 4 Ingredients Over 340 Quick, Easy And Delicious Recipes Using 4 Or Less Ingredients by Kim McCosker

message 26: by Huw (new)

Huw Evans (dochuw) | 58 comments WH Smith's to use birthday voucher. Overspent as usual!
The Second World War by Antony Beevor , Gok Cooks Chinese by Gok Wan and Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood . Can't wait to start

message 28: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) Hit up the bookstore yesterday and came home with The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror (Penguin Classics) by Robert Louis Stevenson and The Screwtape Letters  by C.S. Lewis .

message 29: by Nicole D. (last edited Jun 11, 2012 11:51PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 130 comments Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth grabbed it at target

message 30: by R. (new)

R. | 4 comments I purchased Charlainne Harris - Deathlocked but it still hasn't arrived. I will be ordering Darren Shan - Brothers To The Death tomorrow.

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 45 comments I finally gave in to the urge and went to the local used bookstore.

I left with Shadowfae (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #1) by Erica Hayes The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1) by L.J. McDonald The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1) by Kelly Gay My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent Enemy Within (Enemy, #1) by Marcella Burnard and Nightfall (Dark Age Dawning, #1) by Ellen Connor

message 33: by Huw (new)

Huw Evans (dochuw) | 58 comments Couldn't pass Waterstones by without going in;
number9dream by David Mitchell and
Embassytown by China Miéville

message 34: by Joseph (new)

Black-Hearted Betrayal (Shades of Fury, #3) by Kasey MacKenzie just arrived for me.

message 35: by Shannon (last edited Jun 15, 2012 12:57PM) (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 354 comments Got some oldies but goodies from authors I love and a few unexpected finds. What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie The Lawman (Urban Cowboys #3) (Harlequin Temptation #563) by Vicki Lewis Thompson Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon The Bluewater Affair (Silhouette Family Secrets, #4) by Cindy Gerard Obsessed by Susan Andersen A Desirable Residence by Madeleine Wickham The Laird Who Loved Me (MacLean Curse, #5) by Karen Hawkins They Wear What Under Their Kilts? (Emily, #2) by Katie Maxwell Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum, #17) by Janet Evanovich Shifter (Includes Warriors of Poseidon, #2.5; Breeds, #15; Children of the Sea Prequel) by Angela Knight Extreme Exposure (I-Team, #1) by Pamela Clare Atlantis Unmasked (Warriors of Poseidon, #4) by Alyssa Day

http://www.goodreads.com/list/user_vo...

message 36: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) Just got this in the post today:

Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig

I've been wanting to read this book for ages and it taken me ages to find a copy of it.

message 37: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments The Sands of Time by Sidney Sheldon Ratu Berlian (Master Of The Game) by Sidney Sheldon The Afghan by Frederick Forsyth The Lake House by James Patterson The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (George Smiley #3) by John le Carré A Small Town in Germany by John le Carré The Looking Glass War by John le Carré Call for the Dead (George Smiley, #1) by John le Carré A Murder of Quality (George Smiley #2) by John le Carré Hungry As The Sea by Wilbur A. Smith The Eye of the Tiger by Wilbur A. Smith The Sound Of Thunder by Wilbur A. Smith Fishes of the world An illustrated dictionary by Alwyne C Wheeler I wasn't really looking for books but just couldn't resist adopting them and giving them a loving home.

message 38: by Joseph (new)

Another delivery arrived for me: Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6) by Rachel Vincent

message 39: by Nicole D. (last edited Jun 16, 2012 12:11PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 130 comments Emily's Ghost A Novel of the Bronte Sisters by Denise Giardina
Hope it's good it was an impulse buy.

message 40: by Paulfozz (last edited Jun 16, 2012 03:14PM) (new)

Paulfozz So far this month has been quite restrained compared to May, I've only bought these so far:

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time by Mark Haddon Seashore by Peter Hayward Badger by Timothy J. Roper .

Those do add up to about £40 though and I'm waiting for the Seashore book to be delivered.

Edit: just remembered that I did actually also buy these from a charity shop too (oops! how did I forget those?):

A Brief History of Time From the Big Bang to Black Holes by Stephen Hawking How To Be A Bad Birdwatcher by Simon Barnes

message 41: by Joseph (new)

Got some good reading I've been looking forward to: Tempest’s Fury (Jane True, #5) by Nicole Peeler In a Witch's Wardrobe by Juliet Blackwell Pies & Prejudice by Ellery Adams as well as adding to my collection one of the best books out in 2012, I gave it 5 stars: Amped by Daniel H. Wilson

message 42: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz Have splurged this evening, temptation came in the form of a 10% off code for Waterstones. :-D Have ordered these:

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Ladybirds (Coccinellidae) of Britain and Ireland An Atlas of the Ladybirds of Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands by Helen E. Roy Plant Galls by Margaret Redfern

to add to these purchases so far this month:

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time by Mark Haddon Seashore by Peter Hayward Badger by Timothy J. Roper A Brief History of Time From the Big Bang to Black Holes by Stephen Hawking How To Be A Bad Birdwatcher by Simon Barnes

Have been trying to resist the plant galls book for a bit but I knew all along that I'd end up buying it. I already have some paperback copies of the Lord of the Rings books but have been hankering for some nice hardback editions.

message 43: by Ellie (last edited Jun 23, 2012 03:06PM) (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Bought Into the Silent Land A Guide to the Christian Practice of Contemplation by Martin Laird , Little Brother by Cory Doctorow , Adam Bede by George Eliot , the ebook copy of Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon , and The Gift of Years Growing Older Gracefully by Joan D. Chittister .

message 44: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 71 comments A friend just gave me two boxes of books that they saved from a yard sale that was going to burn them because they didn't sell, I'll figure out what is all in the boxes later and post it here.

message 45: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (vforveronika) got Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild by Mary A. Kassian

message 46: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 36 comments I was in Europe these last two weeks, of corse being in another country means they have different books, so I couldn't resist! I would have gotten more but I wouldn't have had enough room. :(
From a used book shop in London:
City of Masks (Stravaganza, Book 1) by Mary Hoffman , The Glass Swallow by Julia Golding , and Riddles Of Epsilon by Christine Morton-Shaw
From Shakespeare and Company, an English book shop in Paris:
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë
And a fun but semi educational flip book book about the eiffel tower I got in a random gift shop in Paris:
The Flip-Book of the Eiffel-Tower
A souvenier I got for a friend, a French editon of:
Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1)  by Suzanne Collins
And from an English bookshop in Florence, Italy:
Doctor Who The Way Through the Woods by Una McCormack I'm most excited about this one, because it is my first Doctor Who book! :)

message 47: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) So many books lately, too lazy to upload them.
Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry Reasons for and Advantages of Breathing Stories by Lydia Peelle The Pat Hobby Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald Girl Trouble Stories by Holly Goddard Jones If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This by Robin Black The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer The Shack by W. Paul Young
Also, a friend recently gave me her copy of How to Read Literature Like a Professor A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines by Thomas C. Foster for English class.
I /think/ that's all.

message 48: by A book away from an episode of hoarders (last edited Jun 25, 2012 11:36AM) (new)

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 45 comments Caitlin wrote: "A friend just gave me two boxes of books that they saved from a yard sale that was going to burn them because they didn't sell, I'll figure out what is all in the boxes later and post it here."

There is something very sad to me about books being destroyed.

My favorite used book store had tons of boxes out by the dumpster. The owner said to take all I wanted. Some if them had too much water damage but I came home with a trunk load.

Recovered from the trash:
The Shadow Reader (McKenzie Lewis, #1) by Sandy Williams Recipes for a Small Planet by Ellen Buchman Ewald The Plot Thickens by Mary Higgins Clark The Man With The Candy The Story Of The Houston Mass Murders by Jack Olsen Murder at a Vineyard Mansion (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #15) by Philip R. Craig The Scorpion's Sting by J.D. Masterson Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) by Stuart Woods Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2) by Frank Herbert Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3) by Frank Herbert The Blue Mirror by Kathe Koja The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory Quentins by Maeve Binchy One Hundred and One Famous Poems With a Prose Supplement by Roy Jay Cook Seizure by Robin Cook Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4) by Kathy Reichs Weaveworld by Clive Barker Villages by John Updike Shadowland by Peter Straub Voyage to the End of Time by Joe Fitzpatrick Strata by Terry Pratchett The Moses Stone (Chris Bronson, #2) by James Becker How I Spent My Summer Vacation (An Amanda Pepper Mystery) by Gillian Roberts The Lottery Winner by Mary Higgins Clark Point Blank by Catherine Coulter London Bridges (Alex Cross #10)  by James Patterson The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy The Hot Zone A Terrifying True Story by Richard Preston The Specter of Alexander Wolf  by Gaito Gazdanov Forward the Foundation (Foundation Prequel, #2) by Isaac Asimov Crystal City The Warriors of Escalor by Dennis Amoroso Sometimes They Bite by Lawrence Block The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2) by Dan Brown The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3) by Dan Brown The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg Reversible Errors (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #6) by Scott Turow Rules Of Prey / Shadow Prey / Eyes Of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1, #2, #3) by John Sandford The Best from Fantasy and Science Fiction 7 by Anthony Boucher

message 50: by Lawrence (last edited Jun 25, 2012 09:44AM) (new)

Lawrence | 108 comments These are my purchases for the month, which was part of my Father's Day gift:

The Last Prince of Atlantis by Leonard Clifton , The Best of Everything by Francine Craft , Odd Interlude #1 (An Odd Thomas Story) by Dean Koontz , With Open Eyes by Iris Johansen , Snatched A Novella by Karin Slaughter

« previous 1