Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's May

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments In looking back I'm surprised at what a good month I had in terms of quality. Also interesting to note that of the 6 books I completed, 5 were on audio...

30. The Witness. Nora Roberts. (4/5).

A slow-paced thriller/romance in Nora's typical style. A young girl rebels and goes with a friend to a nightclub. Hours later she witnesses a murder and goes on the run. She surfaces 12 year later in a small town in Arkansas, wanting nothing more than to stay under the radar. Of course with Nora Roberts at work and the interest of the local police chief, that is not to be. Well told story that kept me entertained on the beaches of Antigua.

31. The Vows of Silence. Susan Hill. (4/5). Narrated by Steven Pacey.

This fourth in the D.I. Simon Serailler series finds Simon investigating the apparent random shootings of young women about to be or newly married. Meanwhile events happen in his private life that have him reeling. Hill continues to create complex characters and gives them substantive issues to wrestle with, all while unfolding one or more mysteries for the local constabulary to solve.

32. The Devil's Punchbowl. Greg Iles. (4/5). Read by Dick Hill.

What a treat to spend time with my favorite Mississippi boy, Penn Cage of Natchez. Iles weaves yet another dark, intricate, disturbing mystery. A childhood friend brings Penn a crime in the making, and charges Penn with bringing the perpetrators to justice. Penn and his family and friends are challenged by some nasty pieces of work in the world of gambling, dog fighting, and money laundering. Mild spoiler:(view spoiler). Read ably by Dick Hill, although his unique reading style will always be Jack Reacher to me.

33. Total Recall. Sara Paretsky. (3/5). Read by Sandra Burr.

VI gets drawn in to two seemingly unrelated cases. A bit complex for a listen, it was hard to keep track of the many characters introduced. A life insurance claim is denied because a claim was already made against it decades ago; a young man hounds VIs friend Lottie and her circle because he thinks his family lost in the holocaust is related to theirs. VI doggedly pursues both and eventually sorts it all out.

34. And Justice There Is None. Deborah Crombie. (4/5). Read by Michael Deehy.

A woman is murdered in her driveway, and Gemma gets the case. Once again Crombie weaves together two stories from different times, one involving a young girl in the ‘60s who is met by challenges at every turn, the other the murdered woman and the characters surrounding her. Meanwhile, Gemma and Duncan make some important decisions about their future. This series is really growing on me, combining well plotted mysteries with personal developments in the lives of the main characters.

35. The Deep Blue Good-by. John D. MacDonald. (3/5). Read by Robert Petkoff.

A re-read of some 30 years ago. I was curious to see how this series would stand the test of time for me. Travis gets dragged into investigating a man who preys upon women. It was fun getting reacquainted with Travis. I could have done without his world view monologues, he seemed much more gruff and grumpy than I remembered, and the women were typical of the day (or the genre, not sure) but I enjoyed it just the same. Will continue to work my way through the series.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Love your reviews Carol! You reminded me that I really need to get back to my Crombie books ;)

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Love your reviews Carol! You reminded me that I really need to get back to my Crombie books ;)"

Susie, I just reserved the next in the series from the library. Happily but surprisingly, there is no one ahead of me for this great series. I'm hooked on these, particularly the audios with those glorious British accents!

message 4: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I liked Witness too and from your description I may have to try Hill.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Susie in KS wrote: "Love your reviews Carol! You reminded me that I really need to get back to my Crombie books ;)"

Susie, I just reserved the next in the series from the library. Happily but su..."

I've never tried one of these books on audio! That's a great idea ;)

message 6: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Great month, Carol. I also enjoyed The Devil's Punchbowl. I laughed at your comment about Dick Hill. I also think he's Reacher.

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3546 comments I think when I have a space available I might try and squeeze in reading nora's book. I'm so behind on her books.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14413 comments Carol: I agree with the Penn Cage spoiler comment about the ending. (view spoiler)
I am impressed with your audio book count! Good month. I love audio readers who just take you back into the series with their characterizations from book to book.
I am listening to a lot more audio books this year too. (with 14 so far in 2012 against 22 in 2011, 24 in 2010, and 25 in 2009) Some of the increase is from a slightly longer commute and also being 15-20 minutes away from DD's house after we moved. Lots of extra car and audio time.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "In looking back I'm surprised at what a good month I had in terms of quality. Also interesting to note that of the 6 books I completed, 5 were on audio..."

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments Ann wrote: "I am listening to a lot more audio books this year too. (with 14 so far in 2012 against 22 in 2011, 24 in 2010, and 25 in 2009) Some of the increase is from a slightly longer commute and also being 15-20 minutes away from DD's house after we moved. Lots of extra car and audio time. ..."

Ann, I am becoming that person you see who always has an earbud in her ear. The Shuffle makes it so easy. I punch it on whenever I do anything around the house that doesn't require concentration, and with sports news so dismal of late I listen to books in the car over radio. Now that the basketball season is over maybe I'll get some more time to read actual books.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14413 comments Carol: I am picturing you being very productive with your multi-tasking while listening!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I am becoming that person you see who always has an earbud in her ear. The Shuffle makes it so easy. I punch it on whenever I do anything around the house that doesn't require concentration, "

message 11: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann wrote: "I am listening to a lot more audio books this year too. (with 14 so far in 2012 against 22 in 2011, 24 in 2010, and 25 in 2009) Some of the increase is from a slightly longer commute an..."

Carol, I've got baseball season now.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments Brakedrum wrote: "
Carol, I've got baseball season now. ..."

Ah yes, Lorraine, there is that...

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14413 comments well my hockey season is over tonight; expected to equal more reading, a bit of catch up on the DVR and then waiting for September. Baseball games on TV here are too hit and miss (pun intended) to follow a team. ;)

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments Well, I lied about basketball, Ann. Despite the events of the last week, I'm actually looking forward to the Thunder/Heat series. (guess who I'm rooting for....;-)

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14413 comments Hmm, I wonder which team... ;) Sorry about your Celtics.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Well, I lied about basketball, Ann. Despite the events of the last week, I'm actually looking forward to the Thunder/Heat series. (guess who I'm rooting for....;-)"

message 16: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Well, I lied about basketball, Ann. Despite the events of the last week, I'm actually looking forward to the Thunder/Heat series. (guess who I'm rooting for....;-)"

I'm rooting for the Thunder. Last year, when the Mavericks played against the Heat during mid-playoffs, they were already planning their celebration parade. I watched the playoffs and didn't care for the Heat's arrogant attitude. I know Thunder is a long-shot, but I wish them all the best.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments Brakedrum wrote: "I'm rooting for the Thunder. Last year, when the Mavericks played against the Heat during mid-playoffs, they were already planning their celebration parade. I watched the playoffs and didn't care for the Heat's arrogant attitude. I know Thunder is a long-shot, but I wish them all the best. "

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my attitude towards the Heat, although admittedly fueled by their rivalry with the Celtics. In addition to that, I actually like the Thunder, a young, talented team helped by veterans like former Celtic Kendrick Perkins (we still miss him) and former Laker Derek Fisher. Watched the game last night and it was fun to watch both teams go. Of course I was happy with the result.

message 18: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Brakedrum wrote: "I'm rooting for the Thunder. Last year, when the Mavericks played against the Heat during mid-playoffs, they were already planning their celebration parade. I watched the playoffs..."

Ed was pulling for the Celtics. He was a Celtics fan as a kid. He loved John Havlicek. I think he's rooting for the Heat this time, since there's a bit of a rivalry between the Thunder & the Nuggets.

message 19: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7904 comments Melodie wrote: "
Ed was pulling for the Celtics. He was a Celtics fan as a kid. He loved John Havlicek. I think he's rooting for the Heat this time, since there's a bit of a rivalry between the Thunder & the Nuggets. ..."

Mel, did he see when they flashed on Hondo in the crowd of one of the home games? So great to see the "old timers." My fave of that era was Dave Cowens, and I'm still tickled when he pops up, which he doesn't often.