Christian Historical Fiction discussion

British/Regency > Julie Klassen

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
Has anyone read either of Julie Klassen's novels? Would you like to discuss?

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 15 comments I loved her Lady of Milkweed Manor and found it a very different type of historical story.

I want to read her now one, Apothecary's Daughter but have not had time to do so (or money to buy it).

message 3: by Margaret (new)

What were your thoughts on Lady of Milkweed Manor? I agree that it is not the same as most historical stories you find out there.

The Apothecary's Daughter is a great book. I read it a few weeks ago and devoured it.

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 15 comments Eh, sorry, I cannot be more detailed Margaret. I read it along time ago, when it first came out, and just recall liking it a lot, recommending it to some friends, and thinking it was a "different" type of Christian historical.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

That's okay.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie | 9 comments I just recently bought The Apothecary's Daughter but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Thoughts?

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Oh Julie, it's great!!! You'll love the "play on words" with the title...

message 8: by Kati (new)

Kati (katig) | 12 comments I really liked Lady of Milkweed Manor. I didn't know the author had another book out, I'll have to add that to my to-be-read list ...

message 9: by Margaret (new)

I like them both, they are different so I really cannot pick a favorite over one or the other.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments I have Lady of Milkweed Manor just haven't read it yet. I bought it a couple of months ago, but haven't had time to actually sit down and read it thoroughly. I like reading new authors when i have to chance to actually read it slowly. It makes it easier to see if I will like the author or not. I'm sure it sounds weird, but oh well! That's me. :D

message 11: by Margaret (new)

The mail man stole my copy, I'm just glad I read it first, but if they do not find it (a box was separated from it's tag) I'll have to buy another copy. *sigh* It was definitely a re-reader for me. And not many things are.

message 12: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 15 comments Your mailman stole your copy????? How'd that happen?

message 13: by Margaret (new)

LOL sorry...

My friend who I share books with back and forth was sending a box back which included this book. The box never arrived, and just disappeared in transit. So my claim is that some mailperson along the way just could not help themselves. Although, they probably were not expecting Christian fiction, but something else...

My physical mailman did not literally steal my copy, although he does make jokes about how many books I get by mail. Always asking me what good stuff I'm reading lately.

message 14: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 15 comments Ah, well, if the mail person was unkind enough to steal other people's mail, maybe the need a good dose of Christian fiction!

message 15: by Margaret (new)

That's what I say, maybe reading some of the books from the box will show something redeeming...

message 16: by Margaret (last edited Jul 18, 2009 08:18PM) (new)

[image error]

The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen

January 1st 2010 by Bethany House

Believing herself guilty of a crime, Olivia Keene flees her home, eventually stumbling upon a grand estate where an elaborate celebration is in progress. But all is not as joyous as it seems…. Lord Bradley has just learned a terrible secret, which, if exposed, will change his life forever. When he glimpses a figure on the grounds, he fears a spy or thief has overheard his devastating news. He is stunned to discover the intruder is a scrap of a woman with her throat badly injured. Fearing she will spread his secret, he gives the girl a post and confines her to his estate. As Olivia and Lord Bradley's secrets catch up with them, will their hidden pasts ruin their hope of finding love?

message 17: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments Sounds very cool, Margaret! Thanks for letting us know about it. :-) I have not read any of Julie Klassen's books, but I definitely want to. :-D

message 18: by Margaret (new)

She's very different, I do not know who I would equate her with. Powerful, but not overly emotional. Does that make sense? I really enjoy her writing.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments I need to read Lady of Milkweed Manor....And then go buy the Apothecary's Daughter and the new one you posted about.

message 20: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 15 comments I am excited about her new book in January 2010

The Silent Governess

Believing herself guilty of a crime, Olivia Keene flees her home, eventually stumbling upon a grand estate where an elaborate celebration is in progress. But all is not as joyous as it seems.

Lord Bradley has just learned a terrible secret, which, if exposed, will change his life forever. When he glimpses a figure on the grounds, he fears a spy or thief has overheard his devastating news. He is stunned to discover the intruder is a scrap of a woman with her throat badly injured. Fearing she will spread his secret, he gives the girl a post and confines her to his estate. As Olivia and Lord Bradley's secrets catch up with them, will their hidden pasts ruin their hope of finding love?

message 21: by Amandasaved (new)

Amandasaved AHHHHH! I loved "The Apothecary's Daughter" and I can't wait to read "Milkweed Manor" and the new one!!! I have a couple of bills to pay first but once I am able I will totally buy her other books!!!! I hope to one day write as well as she does.

message 22: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 15 comments Oops, sorry for the repeat posting, Margaret, about silent governess-- I don't know why I didn't see it.

totally excited about it.

message 23: by Margaret (new)

Jenna wrote: "Oops, sorry for the repeat posting, Margaret, about silent governess-- I don't know why I didn't see it.

totally excited about it."

Not a problem! Just reiterating the good!

message 24: by Cassondra (new)

Cassondra | 1 comments I really enjoyed both "The Lady of Milkweed Manor" and "The Silent Governess." I wish I had $ and time to read "Apothecary's Daughter."

My favorite part of "Milkweed" was the end... I suppose I won't spoil it, but when certain two people get together bringing things kind of full circle, it's beautiful. Especially because of Charlotte's choice being so selfless and beautiful. Yet sad. But the Creator made all things right in the end. Which is awesome!

I like all the plot twists in Klassen's books. Things aren't what they seem, but the characters always grow in godliness and self-knowledge and persevere throughout. :D

message 25: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Morgan | 11 comments What a timely posting. I just finished Girl in the Gatehouse, Theby Julie Klassen. She certainly does include a lot of twists in her books. I love being transported to a totally different time and place. It's what I really love about historical fiction.

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 1 comments Just getting ready to start The Girl in the Gatehouse. I have read all of her other books and enjoyed them especially The Apothecary's Daughter

message 27: by Diana (new)

Diana | 27 comments You can not go wrong with Julie Klassen! I have read all her books and they are outstanding! The Apothecary's Daughter and The Girl in the Gatehouse are my favorites. The Lady of Milkweed Manor has a dark undertone to the story, but it's very well writen. I think what I like most about Klassen is that she is not a cookie cutter author. Each of her books have a special element. Some authors basically write the same story with different setting and characters. Not Klassen! She puts a spin on all her books! You just can't get enough of them!!!!

message 28: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) Just finished The Maid of Fairbourne Hall and loved it. Many layers in this book. I think it is one of her best. It released early. Here is my review.http://amzn.to/sEBNuU

message 29: by Diana (new)

Diana | 27 comments The Maid of Fairbourne Hall is wonderful!!!! Next to The Girl in the Gatehouse, it is my favorite!

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiemccurdy) | 9 comments Just finished The Maid of Fairbourne Hall, and loved it! Can't wait to get into my other books by Klassen--The Silent Governess, The Girl in the Gatehouse, and The Lady of Milkweed Manor!

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments I just bought it on my Kindle! Can't wait to read it!

message 32: by Beks (new)

Beks (bekster15) | 3 comments oh my goodness I just started what is going to be my hardest semester thus far and have no idea when I will have a chance to read it. I hope it will come soon though, Klassen is one of my favorite authors.

message 33: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments Good luck with this semester, Beks! I will start school on Monday and I'm sure it will be harder than my previous school quarter. XD I hope you will have a bit of time to read. <3

I'm hoping to read Klassen's books very soon! I think I'll start with her earlier books like the Apothecary's Daughter.

message 34: by Beks (new)

Beks (bekster15) | 3 comments I loved the Apothecary's Daughter, I listened to it in the car and it was a great way to get through traffic.

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Beks wrote: "oh my goodness I just started what is going to be my hardest semester thus far and have no idea when I will have a chance to read it. I hope it will come soon though, Klassen is one of my favorite ..."

it should already be out. Came out the first of Jan

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Good luck with school ladies! I just graduated with my degree in teaching in December! I don't envy you! lol

message 37: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments Congrats on your graduation, Jennifer! It must be a great feeling to be done with school <3 More time to read? ;-)

I borrowed the Lady of Milkweed Manor today and can't wait to get started on it! :-D

message 38: by Mesu (new)

Mesu | 19 comments Hey all!
I'm reading Julie's newest one, The Maid of Fairbourne Hall, and am loving it. I must confess, I hardly ever read anything except biblical fiction, but I met Julie at the ACFW conference and loved her! Top quality gal, and an incredibly gifted author.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Julie's 'The Girl in the Gatehouse'. I also enjoyed 'Lady of Milkweed Manor'. Looking forward to reading the rest of her books.

message 40: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments Nice to hear that, Francesca! I was really pleased by the ending of "Lady of Milkweed Manor." :-) I started "The Apothecary's Daughter" and like it so far.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Charmaine wrote: "Nice to hear that, Francesca! I was really pleased by the ending of "Lady of Milkweed Manor." :-) "

The ending was wonderful!
*sigh* which girl doesn't love a happy ending?

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments I just finished her newest one The Maid of Fairbourne Hall! Soooo good! That one and Silent Governess are my favs

message 43: by Diana (new)

Diana | 27 comments Silent Governess is my second favorite! The Girl in the Gatehouse is my #1!