Supernatural Fiction Readers discussion

Polls

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Werner (last edited Jun 01, 2012 04:14AM) (new)

Werner | 1805 comments In this group, up to now we've only done polls in connection with our common reads. But in one of my other groups, we've had fun with polls on a variety of subjects; and I thought it might be interesting to try that here, too! So, last night I posted a poll on "What type of supernatural being is your favorite to read about?" It'll run all this month. So if you have a favorite, click on the polls link and vote! (If you like them all, there's an option for that, too. :-) ) I'll try to also send out a personal message announcing the poll to all group members, later this month.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I had to go with them all. My favorite fantasy books might feature one more than another, but about all are represented.

message 3: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1805 comments That was my answer too, Jim!

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Downs (andydowns) | 17 comments I was tempted to vote for all because I do like them all, but when we're talking about favourites, for me it has to be ghosts. I can't get enough of them. Particular favourites are 'The Secret of Crickley Hall', 'The Ghosts of Sleath', 'Haunted' by James Hertbert and many short ghost stories.

message 5: by Deb (new)

Deb Atwood | 284 comments Werner,
I could not find your poll. Can you post a link to it? Thanks.

I'm with you, Andy, regarding your love of ghost novels. Sometimes it's hard for us ghost lovers to find books among all the vampires and zombies. I particularly like Beloved, Hill House and Heart-Shaped Box. I write ghost novel reviews if you're ever short of titles. www.peninherhand.wordpress.com

message 7: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1805 comments Jim, thanks for posting that link! Deb, you can also get to the poll by clicking on the "polls" link at the top of this page (on the right side of the screen as you face it, the last one in the list of links just under the group name and logo). It's the first poll at the top of the polls page the link takes you to. (The same collection of links appears in the same position at the group home page.) Hope this helps!

message 8: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1805 comments The votes are in, and --probably not surprisingly, for a group designed for readers who like supernatural fiction in general!-- our poll winner for favorite type of supernatural being to read about is "I like them all," with 34 votes. Ghosts showed surprisingly (to me, at least) strong, capturing second place with 28 votes. The ever-popular vampires and weres/shapeshifters came in third and fourth, with 22 and 13 votes respectively. Continuing with the listed alternatives, witches/warlocks were the choice of nine voters, while four people picked faerie folk. But 11 voted for "Other;" the range of individual favorites there is too numerous and varied to summarize here.

This poll attracted a lot of participation; we had 121 total votes! Thanks to everyone who took part, and helped to make it fun, interesting and informative! We'll have to run another poll like this sometime. :-)

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (eveelover) | 1 comments It's so hard to say.... I love werewovles

message 10: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Panther (whitemare) | 14 comments Is it the characters or the plot which makes a book more enjoyable? Okay, there have to be well defined characters, but what they do, their interactions and reactions - do they engage the reader?
Just asking.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Lynda wrote: "Is it the characters or the plot which makes a book more enjoyable? ..."

Good question, but this really isn't the topic for it, so I created a new one here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 12: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Panther (whitemare) | 14 comments Thanks, Jim.

Now might be the point to ask: We've had werewolves and vampires, zombies, ghosts and demons and unhinged humans and witches.

How about creating a completely new supernatural creature that can be woven into a magical realism situation? Has anyone doen so already, and is willing to share? No aliens, please. Half-breeds accepted.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Lynda, do me a favor & move #12 to the topic I linked to in #11. As soon as you have, I'm going to delete these messages. This is the Polls topic.

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 11 comments I know this is so late. I would rate Vampire hunters, and vampire series books one. Shape shifters two. Those that have magical gifts three. Witches four , I do like Zombies in movies, but rarely read about them. Ghosts in Gothic tales are also good. Angels are also interesting, and the fey. Time travel with magic is a favorite as well.

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I like them all, depends on my mood which a favor. But, for the most part, if there are super powers involved (or dragons), I'm in.