Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Straight Male Protagonists in Urban/Contemporary Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 164 comments Has anyone come across any good books or series that feature appealing straight mail protagonists? I've been making my way through the Dresden Files series and find that I really like it - I'm wondering if anyone knows of other series that are similar. (There's only a very little romance in the Dresden Files - it's more action and mystery.)

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Definitely the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman. It seems I'm recommending this series a lot lately. There are three books out now with the fourth due out in March. The two leads are males, half brothers, definitely urban fantasy. Lots of action and lots and lots of supernatural/paranormal characters. Books in order are: Nightlife, Moonshine, Madhouse, Deathwish (out 3/9/09).

There are the Joe Pitt books by Charlie Huston. Joe is a vampire trying to stay alive without aligning himself with any of the "powerful" people in a futuristic NYC. Very dark, well written.

A. Lee Martinez has many stand alones that read almost like dark,funny and twisted fairy tales. I've enjoyed all of his books. He has a futuristic sci fi book called The Automatic Detective that has become my favorite book of all time.

Christopher Moore has some dark, twisted books too. There are recurring characters and sometimes towns, but for the most part they stand alone. He's very funny and there are always supernatural characters.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (eidolon) | 3 comments Well if someone who reads alot can say that a book has become a "favorite book of all time", then I have to go check it out. I have added Martinez to my read list.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 320 comments I never read this book it is in my TBR file but saje Willilams wrote Sword and Shadow I think this is a straight male

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 164 comments I've finished the first Joe Pitt (by Charlie Huston) book and the Automatic Detective (by A. Lee Martinez). I enjoyed the Automatic Detective - it was really good. I'm planning on reading more by Martinez. Thanks for the recs, Melissa! I'd already read everything by Christopher Moore, and he's great too. I found the "gangster" perspective in the Joe Pitt books unappealing, so I doubt I'll read more of that series, but it is a interesting urban fantasy.

message 6: by Melissa (last edited Jan 29, 2009 05:14AM) (new)

Melissa I'm glad you liked Automatic Detective. It was so different from anything that I'd read that it has really stuck with me. Martinez has a great sense of humor too. His books are good, but I thought Automatic Detective was his best by far. He has another book coming out this year, I think in May. All of his books are stand alones so it's nice to be able to pick one up without worrying that you're missing something. If you liked Charlie Huston's writing, just not Joe Pitt, he has a trilogy that is action packed and suspenseful. The first one is Caught Stealing. Huston's latest book is the called The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death. I haven't read it yet, but it's about a guy in LA who's on a crime scene clean up crew.

Other new books that I've found, but haven't read yet are Dog Days by John Levitt and Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco. The first is a male witch who is also a musician who has a magical dog and has some paranormal things after him. The second is kind of a crime novel but revolving around the fey. Not sure if they are good yet, but I'm always looking for the leading male in books and had found these.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Try the "Vampire FIles" books by P. N. Elrod. The "hero" is a vamp--the first book deals with him right after he wakes up undead. They are mostly mystery, set in the roaring 20's in Chicago. Lots of gangsters, but I don't remember if Scarface himself shows up or not.

Jack Fleming (the protagonist) is definately straight, as is his "partner" in the P.I business.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) When you say "straight" male, do mean straight as in not gay? Is there lots of UF/Fantasy with gay male characters? I feel like I'm missing something here.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 164 comments Yep, straight as is heterosexual.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Is that hard to find? I would think that it would be the opposite and you'd have to move into erotica to find gay protagonists.