Urban Fantasy discussion

396 views
UF BOOK CHAT > People Who Hate the Books That You Love...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed Nemo (ed_nemo) | 112 comments Do you ever go on Goodreads or Amazon and specifically look for the people that give a 1 star review to the books that you love? I do. I then look at all of their reviews to see what they like and what they hate. The majority of them only write negative reviews I have found. I then look up every piece of information on them and then add them to my Nixon-like "Creep List". Now, when I am bored or in a bad mood, I look them up and comment on their reviews or in extreme cases, send them e-mails explaining their character flaws. I have to say the majority of them are an unimaginative lot. I mean, if you are going to go to the trouble of writing a bad review, at least be interesting enough to keep my attention while I am hating you. This is all preparation for my life as a Super-Villain.


message 2: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (feelicia) | 8 comments Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I don’t like it when people hate one of my favorites books and I agree that the most reviews with 1 star are more like a hate mail then a review but I just don’t see the point of giving them attention because that’s exactly what they want.


message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed Nemo (ed_nemo) | 112 comments I was of course joking. I honestly only use badly written one star reviews as a means of taking reviewer's other reviews out of consideration.

Though I am still hoping to become a Super Villain. (I really just want a "lair".)


 Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments I like what I like, and I have come to the realization that my tastes don't necessarily align with everyone else's. I rarely give 1 star reviews, so I would guess I am not as hard on books as some readers. When a book I love gets 1 star by someone, I might read the review, but I remember that that every person's review is subjective and it doesn't mean that the book sucks just because they think it does. To each their own. Generally, folks who 1 star to books I give 5 stars clearly don't have the same taste as me, or probably have different buttons from me that that book pushed, so I just move on with that understanding clear in my mind and try not to spend too much time worrying about it. Life is to short.


message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 182 comments Ed, aren't reviewers who give 5 stars to nearly everything just as unimaginative. In another group they were mentioning one man who loves 99% of the books/stories he reads and how you can't really go to his reviews to help you decide whether you want to read the book or not.

If I give a bad review I'll mention the reasons why I didn't like the book and vice-versa. I just read a book that ran that gamut, either it was 1-2 stars or 5 stars, different tastes in books. I hated it but then the subject matter didn't interest me at all. Some people come at a review with a list of likes and some people come at the review with a lists of things they hate. Half full/half empty, it's just how we're wired.


message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed Nemo (ed_nemo) | 112 comments Carolyn, of course. There is something to be said for people who only write a review about something they either love or hate. Which is why I have taken to writing reviews of every book I read these days, good or bad.

The original post came from reading a particular scathing review of a book that I loved, that basically just said, "This book was stewpid". It is laughable to me that someone went to the trouble to tell people they hated the book, but didn't care enough to explain why. At which I immediately become curious as to their thought process. So, I look at their other reviews and get a feel of what the person reads.


message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 182 comments Those reviews I ignore. In another group I'm in there was a bitter author who went after her reviewer and gave 1 star to every book she was currently reading including a children's book. Of course the reviewer that pissed her off had noted that all of her friends (they were listed on Facebook as friends) had given her 5 stars shortly after she asked them to rate her book and had called the "sock puppets", then those friends started ragging on the reviewer about where she lived which apparently is full of hippy-ish people in Australia and how awful she looked, super bitter. I hate how people are using reviews to settle scores, or whatever. It seems like it escalating lately here.


message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed Nemo (ed_nemo) | 112 comments I've seen angry authors go off on people before. I just count it as another form of entertainment. They must realize they aren't doing themselves any favors.

It also falls under the same reaction as the people who don't like the books you love. An "Arachnid Reaction", finding yourself dealing with another intelligence that is unrelatable to your view. You will drive yourself mad trying to determine why a person with an alien viewpoint thinks the way they do. Though the worst thing you can do is get angry.


message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments I write reviews for all the books that I read, even the ones that I dnf. I try to be nice in those ones especially. I say what I didn't like or why it didn't work for me.

I also write my reviews just for me, not for anyone else. If someone else likes them, that is great, if not that is fine with me.

I also find that I don't read others reviews until after I have read the book and written my own review. I don't want their opinion to influence mine. I will glance at the ratings to get a feel of what people thought though.


message 10: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 182 comments I glance too Darcy and then read them in more detail afterwards to see if I agreed or disagreed. And I also review them later when someone mentions them or if I'm deciding whether to read another of an author's books, they are helpful.


message 11: by Pogue (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) I write reviews on all most of the books that I read. The DNF books I do not write a review on, I do not know the outcome of the book so I do not feel right in reviewing something that I gave up on.


message 12: by Yzabel (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 28 comments I find myself on the other end of the spectrum—writing scathing reviews for books that everybody seems to love. Granted, I try to write reviews for all the books I read, not 1-star or 5-star reviews only. But it feels weird. Sometimes I wonder if I've read the same book as everyone else.

I sometimes check other people's reviews before deciding on buying the book, mostly if the summary just somewhat appealed to me, to see if it would be the kind of book I'd like, or if I'd better borrow it rather than buy it.


message 13: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments I write something about what I thought of the book for everything I read, including the books I don't finish. First I did it because it was a way to remember what I read. I write my "reviews" for myself most of all. Why I do or don't like a book, is as important that I read it.

And of course we each have our own reaction to a book.


message 14: by Erik (new)

Erik Nelson It seems silly not to use the entire scoring gamut to me. If we never give one-star reviews, why not just use a four-star review system instead? I tend to think of the star rating not so much a judgment of the book itself, but a rating of how much we liked it. I can give a book a one-star rating--all it means is that I didn't like it. Not that someone else won't.

Mostly, I don't understand why people care about how others score a book. What difference does it make? We all have different opinions. It would suck if we didn't.


message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Erik wrote: "I tend to think of the star rating not so much a judgment of the book itself, but a rating of how much we liked it. I can give a book a one-star rating--all it means is that I didn't like it. Not that someone else won't."

Amen! That's the whole point of the review system...to give an opinion on something. Oftentimes, even my best friends and I do not agree on books.

So I'm not the only one who does this, lol. I generally read both the 5-star and the 1-star reviews so that I can get a balanced idea of the book.


message 16: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius | 44 comments Ed --

I have read some really witty, engaging 1 star reviews here on Goodreads. For instance, I have complimented 1 star reviewers of Wise Men's Fear and Life of Pi, even though I personally gave WMF 4 stars and Life of Pi 5 stars, just because those 1 star reviews were so funny to read. So the number of stars does not irk me, in and of itself.

HOWEVER -- I really hate it when somebody appears to give 1 star reviews for personal or political reasons that have little to do with the quality of the book itself. For instance, I know one reviewer who appears to give out 1 star reviews to any book he finds with a "life is hard and then you die" message. I mean, this guy will specifically state in his review that the book may be well written, but he's given it 1 star because he doesn't like that message. I mean, what's up with that? And this same guy trashes books that he admits he has "read very little of", because -- once again -- he doesn't like the message the book is getting across. Cmon -- you haven't even read it, yet you feel entitled to trash it? If you know you're going to hate the message in the first place, then what's the point in even starting to read the book? And if you haven't even read it, how can you trash it? I mean, I despise Ann Coulter -- but I don't go around giving her 1 star reviews just because I know I'll despise her books.

And he uses this defense that, well, other people deserve to know that he didn't like the message in that book. But -- guess what -- you don't have to give out all these 1 star reviews in order to let people know that. Believe it or not, Goodreads allows you to write reviews without giving ANY star rating. So the 1 star is just a slap in the face, intentionally and maliciousy screwing with that book's average rating just because this guy happens to have his own personal agenda. Pisses me off, in case you couldn't tell.

Whew! Off my soap box now. Thanks for letting me vent!


message 17: by Rebecca (Bec) (new)

Rebecca (Bec) | 14 comments I tend to rely on the star rating of a book in order to choose my next book/series to start reading. if a book has a high average rating (3.5 to 4+) i will then go to a couple of the 4-5stars on tha book, thena couple of 1-2 stars (if any). I guess that is when they come in handly for me. In the end though I tend to make my own decision on the book.

I rarely give out 1-2 star ratings if i give a bad one, its usually becasue the book bores me or the characters annoy me. I dont think I have ever comment on the way something is written... i dont feel qualified and I write poorly myself...

:)


message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
If I really don't like a book, I'll either add it to my DNF list or I simply won't review them at all. It doesn't seem fair to review a book I haven't finished. If I give a book a one star, it's because there was *something* positive about it.


message 19: by Julia (last edited Jun 08, 2012 07:41AM) (new)

Julia | 615 comments Michelle wrote: Oftentimes, even my best friends and I do not agree on books.

I like it when my friends disagree with me about books, it leads to good discussions. What makes me a little crazy is that gr doesn't allow the reader to have different opinions on a book that is re-read. I want to be able disagree with myself.

Here's an example: I read To Kill a Mockingbird twelve or so years ago, to be read with ninth graders who were poor and or non-readers. I didn't like it, which I know now is heresy. I didn't care for it, because of all the time spent on hateful extraneous characters like Mrs Dubose, and I didn't get Miss Maudie, or the fire at her house, or Miss Stephanie. I wanted all of the attention on Scout, Jem and Dill and Atticus. Or Tom Robinson. The meandering around Maycomb, just didn't work for me. BTW, the ninth graders loved it!

Two years ago I reread To Kill a Mockingbird and loved it!


message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Julia wrote: "Michelle wrote: Oftentimes, even my best friends and I do not agree on books.

I like it when my friends disagree with me about books, it leads to good discussions. What makes me a little crazy is ..."


Now *that* would be cool! I don't often re-read books, but I did re-read The Stand a few years ago. I'd first read it when I was in high school, and although I loved it, I missed *a lot* of the subtleties.

I've been wanting to re-read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter since I read that one in hs, too. It would be very interesting to compare how I feel now to how I felt back then.


message 21: by Ed (new)

Ed Nemo (ed_nemo) | 112 comments Contrarious,

I agree with you, in fact, here is a negative review of a book I love that I commented on to that effect. Basically praising him for writing decent reasons why he did not like the book, even though I dissagreed with him.

http://www.amazon.com/Phules-Company-...


message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Ed wrote: "Contrarious,

I agree with you, in fact, here is a negative review of a book I love that I commented on to that effect. Basically praising him for writing decent reasons why he did not like the boo..."


This is a good review (er, a bad review...you know what I mean...). A review like that wouldn't prevent me from reading the book, either. It's nice to have a dissenting opinion sometimes.


message 23: by William (new)

William Dunham | 3 comments I for one do not use bad book reviews as a basis of choosing what to read. I often find when I am going to write a bad review myself I first read what other people liked about the book. This normally changes my 1 start to a 3 star. I do not think its fair for me to discourage others from reading something simply because I didn't enjoy it. (For the record I have never left a 1 star review... that I am aware of)


message 24: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 114 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I like what I like, and I have come to the realization that my tastes don't necessarily align with everyone else's. I rarely give 1 star reviews, so I would guess I am not as hard on books as some..."

I wish that there was a 'like' button.:) Totally agree:)


message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Marsha wrote: "I wish that there was a 'like' button.:)"

I've often wished for a 'like' button for the GR forums, too. Hmmm...I wonder if they'd ever create such a monster.


message 26: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Loebel (vickyloebel) I think there's a difference between criticizing a book and trashing it. A low rating listed with good reasons may well attract me to a book, while both high and low ratings without explanations don't influence me much.

That said, I tend to only review books I can rate highly, 'cause the ones that didn't interest me aren't worth the effort :)


message 27: by Fred (new)

Fred Loucks-schultz | 18 comments Honestly, I rarely pay much attention to reviews. I may have said this elsewhere, so forgive any repetition, but I've seen far too many reviewers simply rehash plotlines, critique without providing examples or supporting evidence, or (even worse) go off on things the author has no control over (such as cover art. Seriously.) I prefer to hear from friends and relations whose tastes I'm familiar with - helps me sort out known biases...


message 28: by Xdyj (last edited Aug 19, 2012 06:22PM) (new)

Xdyj I do not write 1 star reviews, and do not review a book if I DNF. However I like to read 1 star reviews on the books I like as well as books I plan to read b/c some of those reviews are quite well written & can give me a different perspective on those books.


message 29: by Penny (new)

Penny Greenhorn Jeez, my first Urban Fantasy discussion and I already feel bad. I've only every bothered writing one review, and it was admittedly scathing about a book that irked me. I tend to agree that we usually make the effort to rave over things we either love or hate... but even so, I guess I have been properly chastened. Please don't add me to the 'creep list', I was having a bad day!


message 30: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Penny,

I read your response and felt that I must sign on & speak out. Every book I read, I review. Period. Some are five star reviews, many are in between, and some are one star reviews, not often, but they are there. But I always intend to say why. Once recently a responder basically said one of my reviews was nonsensical, so I changed it, so it would make sense to others. I first write my reviews for myself, in part so I can remember what I've read and what I thought about it. And like I wrote earlier in this conversation, I don't always agree with even myself when I'm rereading books.

IMO, don't feel bad about one star reviews, as long as you tell us why, I think you're doing other readers a service, telling us your opinions.


message 31: by Penny (new)

Penny Greenhorn Hey Julia,
Well the reason I feel bad is because my review didn't contain even a whiff of constructive critism. I think it's okay to point out that a book might meander at certain parts, or mention a few obvious typos, but my one star review was based on a difference of opinion. Is it okay to be critical of a book just because you don't like the author's psychology?


message 32: by Julia (last edited Aug 31, 2012 05:45PM) (new)

Julia | 615 comments Is this a book about psychology? The author poorly or unfairly described the mentally ill murderer because s/he is a Scientologist and doesn't believe in psychology or psychiatry?

In Julia- world one is allowed to like or not like a book for all sorts of reasons: because it's poorly/ well written, including that you're having a bad day, or that you disagree with how the author writes psychology.


message 33: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 111 comments I've only been reviewing books since I got my Kindle less than a year ago. Since 99% of my 'new to me' authored books now come from free downloads, I
tend to feel like I 'owe' the authors whose books I like well enough to read through to the end the effort to do a review. They are also a 'memory aid' to me personally as well.

I'm quick to DNF if it doesn't interest me, and do not review anything I do not finish, so have very few books I give one or two star ratings to. Those few are almost exclusively ones that have a 'cliffhanger' ending or an unexpectedly grim/depressing end ... and I always specify why I didn't like them and that it is a personal issue with me.


message 34: by Penny (new)

Penny Greenhorn Julia wrote: "Is this a book about psychology? The author poorly or unfairly described the mentally ill murderer because s/he is a Scientologist and doesn't believe in psychology or psychiatry?

In Julia- world ..."


By the author’s psychology, I meant her thought process. I was reading a series where the love interest was unfaithful and the heroine appeared to just put up with it, even though she was portrayed as a tough as nails type. I then remembered that the author had another series which included a cheating spouse, too. I probably overanalyzed it, but I was pretty sure that the author had probably been cheated on and was using her book to subconsciously bargain the situation to lessen the sting. But I just wanted to shake her and her character, tell them they were both ruining the story. I mean, women in general hate cheating, right? I can’t be the only one to find it repugnant, so in a moment of weakness I vented my frustration on Amazon. For this I am ashamed… moderately. I should have just quit reading the series, not smeared it online.


message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah2809) | 5 comments When it comes to books I always go by the saying 'If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all'. I think we all know that there will never be a book that every single person loves but I hate when people say mean things. I can understand leaving bad reviews for functioning products because it's important to let people know if they aren't as good as the seller says. However, with books I write reviews for books I like and nothing for books I don't. I think constructive criticism is fine but some people just seem to want to rant and complain!


message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Penny wrote: "Julia wrote: "Is this a book about psychology? The author poorly or unfairly described the mentally ill murderer because s/he is a Scientologist and doesn't believe in psychology or psychiatry?

In..."


I think that's very observant, Penny. I hate characters who act, well, out of character. It's really important that they remain true to who they are. Otoh...I do like to see a character change from the start of the book to the end, and I also like characters with flaws. But these things must make sense within the context of the book. A character shouldn't change because it makes the story more convenient.


message 37: by Anna (new)

Anna Hub (anna_hub) | 2 comments Ed wrote: "Do you ever go on Goodreads or Amazon and specifically look for the people that give a 1 star review to the books that you love? I do. I then look at all of their reviews to see what they like and ..."

This made me laugh so hard!


message 38: by Patrick (new)

Patrick LeClerc (patrickleclerc) | 16 comments What I find interesting are the 3 star books that have never gotten a 3 star rating, just the average of all the one star and five star ratings.

I read those reviews carefully, because the "love it/hate it" books tend to be entertaining.


message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Patrick wrote: "What I find interesting are the 3 star books that have never gotten a 3 star rating, just the average of all the one star and five star ratings.

I read those reviews carefully, because the "love i..."


I agree. I want to see what the mystery is all about, lol. Last year, I read

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn which I *hated*!!! Yet, a lot of people loved it. After I finished the book, I read the five-star reviews to try and figure out what those readers liked about it, and the one-stars to confirm my own response. It was very interesting.


Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Ed wrote: "Do you ever go on Goodreads or Amazon and specifically look for the people that give a 1 star review to the books that you love? I do. I then look at all of their reviews to see what they like and ..."

Hehehe this post made me snicker.
I've never done that but I do other random, amazingly pointless things on this site when I'm in the mood to be here but not sure what to do next, kwim?


message 41: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Ed wrote: "I was of course joking. I honestly only use badly written one star reviews as a means of taking reviewer's other reviews out of consideration.

Though I am still hoping to become a Super Villain. ..."


I certainly hope you are kidding about emailing these people to tell them their character flaws for not liking books you enjoy.

I was stalked by a 40 year old Twilight fan who didn't like the fact that I hated a book she loved
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5) by Stephenie Meyer . Getting emails calling me a retarded bitch and a scum sucking evil whore did not make my day. She turned up on every site I was on and tried leaving foul messages on my blog, then slagged me off even more for blocking her. It took 6 months to get rid of her. So I'm not in favour of anyone else doing this to someone just for stating an opinion.


message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
chucklesthescot wrote: "I was stalked by a 40 year old Twilight fan who didn't like the fact that I hated a book she loved ..."

Yikes!! That is extremely creepy. I sometimes comment on a review that offered opinions similiar to mine. Both the good and the bad.

I like to read the one-star reviews in order to get a rounded picture of a particular book, especially if I'm about to spend a lot of money on it.


message 43: by Stephan (new)

Stephan Loy (stephanloy) | 8 comments The sad thing, from my perspective, is that reviews are often too centered on likes and dislikes, which really have nothing to do with the quality of the storytelling. I can recognize that a book is well-written, but not my cup of tea. consequently, it would get a high review. Good writing is good writing, regardless of the reader's taste.


message 44: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 158 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "Ed wrote: "I was of course joking. I honestly only use badly written one star reviews as a means of taking reviewer's other reviews out of consideration.

Though I am still hoping to become a Supe..."


I'm baffled by people who do this - troll/stalk people who's view differs from their own. I ask what their motivation is for calling me an idiot on my review every single time because I'm genuinely curious. Did they honestly think they would convince me that I *am* an idiot, who just didn't understand the book I didn't like until they came to the comments and abused me into the light? Really?


message 45: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Five-star reviews can be just as unhelpful as one-star ones. The book lovers have a tendency to gush...

I read the one-star reviews when considering a book, looking for the kind of objections that usually put a book out of consideration for me. I also weigh the number of one-star reviews against the number of higher reviews. Someone's gonna hate every book you can name. Sixteen people hated the book? I might not bother.


message 46: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Marianne wrote: "Five-star reviews can be just as unhelpful as one-star ones. The book lovers have a tendency to gush..."

This is so true. For every reviewer who writes that the book was stupid there are just as many who claim that is was "awesome" with no further explanation as to its "awesomeness".

The world would be a boring place if everyone had the same tastes and our reading experience would be dull as well.

The people who troll around bullying, cursing, stalking are very scary and not a little bit disturbed. They are reason enough to keep any personal information about yourself private.


Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) chucklesthescot wrote: "I was stalked by a 40 year old Twilight fan who didn't like the fact that I hated a book she loved
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (Twilight, #3.5). Getting emails calling me a retarded bitch and a scum sucking evil whore did not make my day. She turned up on every site I was on and tried leaving foul messages on my blog, then slagged me off even more for blocking her. It took 6 months to get rid of her. So I'm not in favour of anyone else doing this to someone just for stating an opinion. ."


Good grief, can you say unbalanced?


message 48: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Tell me about it!


message 49: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I love 1 star reviews. When I go book hunting I look for the 1 star reviews first. If they bitch about useless things, are terribly written or have no real basis in what I find important in a book I figure the person hating the book has nothing in common with me. If the 1, 2 and 3 star books are in fact well written and well argued and the 4 and 5 stars are all "*squee* and then bad boy was kyute!" I mark that book right off my list.

When someone hates a book I love I shrug and move on. I hate tons of books other people have loved: Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, Mortal Instruments, and on and on. Just a fact of life.


Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Ed wrote: "Do you ever go on Goodreads or Amazon and specifically look for the people that give a 1 star review to the books that you love? I do. I then look at all of their reviews to see what they like and ..."

I don't do this but it sounds...interesting :)

I did have someone I was a friend of/who I followed who is a popular reviewer over a year ago. I noticed they gave my favorite books low ratings. When trying to figure out why by reading their reviews, most of the points they made weren't even true in my mind. They just seemed overly harsh to me.


« previous 1
back to top