The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Bookworm Debates > Love Triangles/Angles ~ Overused Or Not?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (last edited May 31, 2012 11:00PM) (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
We all know the kind...those books where the main girl character (normally a red head) is unaware of her (supposed) good looks. She moves to a new town/school. She meets a friendly nice guy who you know will like her. And then she meets a brooding, smoking hot other guy who can't stand her but you know she will ditch the nice guy for and end up with.

We like to read them. We CHOOSE to read them! But can it sometimes be a little repeated? Is it sometimes boring to start into a book, get excited about it and then notice these repetitive traits and you have a mental sigh?

Your thoughts below!

message 2: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Zohal | 1418 comments Mod
To be honest the only love triangle I ever preferred was in The Infernal Devices.
Love triangles I hated ALOT
- Hunger Games
- Death bringer (With Valkryie and Fletcher and Caelan)

I just don't like the whole Do I love this guy or do I love this guy. Although it also depends on the type of character the girl is. If she is frankly an idiotic character I would be cranky otherwise I might enjoy the love triangle.

Hope this kind of makes sense.....

message 3: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Isabelle wrote: "To be honest the only love triangle I ever preferred was in The Infernal Devices.
- Hunger Games
- Death bringer (With Valkryie and Fletcher and Caelan)

I just don't li..."

Isabelle, it makes PERFECT sense! And I hated the Skulduggery love triangle too! :D

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue (youvebeensued) Love triangles do not amuse me much. I find it very annoying at the end. Its like it breaks your heart and mends it at the same times. More precisely, I find them very uncomfortable. There are really very few such love triangles that has caught my attention. One of the worst love triangles I came across was in a novel called Revolution 20-20 by Chetan Bhagat. I abhored the story as well.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelm15) | 81 comments These love triangles are totally overrated. Are they amusing, irritating, and sometimes entertaining? Yes. But lately, authors have been over using them, and I'm getting sick of them. Its an overused concept, as is red-heads that have unintentional beauty.Love triangles make me have unneeded stress and anxiety over something pointless! I about killed myself last time I read a love triangle book called Glow. I wanted to go cry and kill myself because it was so...cliche with the topic. I really, really, really, never want to read one of these again.

message 6: by HC (new)

HC | 33 comments It depends on the triangle. Sometimes the love triangle makes me want to throw up like in the Girl With the Steel Corset. That was probably the cheesiest love triangle ever. Other times, the triangle is ok. I like it better when the author doesn't make it a main part of the storyline. The auther of The Selection did this!!! It was really annoying because most of the book was based on this!!!

message 7: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

I don't like books that are purely based on a love triangle because then to me it feels like the entire book in a way is pointless.
Note: I am not much of a romance reader

message 8: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments There needs to be more to the book than just the love triangle. I feel like love triangles are way to common now! And it also depends on if the character I want her/him to end up with is NOT the one they end up with! Then I just get upset and annoyed! I did enjoy the Mortal Instruments love triangle because there was much more to the books than just the love triangle. (And she ended up with the right guy:))

message 9: by Booknut, Head Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2012 06:21PM) (new)

Olivia wrote: "There needs to be more to the book than just the love triangle. I feel like love triangles are way to common now! And it also depends on if the character I want her/him to end up with is NOT the on..."

I agree. Love triangles are sometimes enjoyable but they should never overpower the plot. Sometimes you'll read a book and get that "Wasn't there a plot here somewhere?" feeling - the book will start off with a succinct plot and then become all about the 'unrequited love'.
The Infernal Devices love triangle was good because it did not distract from the plot, I thought, as was Brightly Woven, whose love triangle is subtly woven into the storyline so you want to read more not throw up in disgust!

message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Booknut wrote: "Olivia wrote: "There needs to be more to the book than just the love triangle. I feel like love triangles are way to common now! And it also depends on if the character I want her/him to end up wit..."

I agree. I think Cassandra Clare is very good at getting in an amazing plot along with a very entertaining love triangle:)

message 11: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Olivia wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Olivia wrote: "There needs to be more to the book than just the love triangle. I feel like love triangles are way to common now! And it also depends on if the character I want her/h..."

that is true.. I really love the Infernal devices Love triangle.

message 12: by HC (new)

HC | 33 comments I'll have to read the Infernal Devices series then!! :D

message 13: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments ~Haelee~ wrote: "I'll have to read the Infernal Devices series then!! :D"

Yes, yes you do! The Infernal Devices and the Mortal Instruments are very well written. Cassandra Clare is a genius.

message 14: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) The best three ways are with the school marm, the sheriff and the gunslinger. Years ago there was a newspaper comic called Rick O'Shay; was that the one?

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Stan wrote: "The best three ways are with the school marm, the sheriff and the gunslinger. Years ago there was a newspaper comic called Rick O'Shay; was that the one?"

Umm I haven't read that so I'm not sure?

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Booknut wrote: "I agree. Love triangles are sometimes enjoyable but they should never overpower the plot. Sometimes you'll read a book and get that "Wasn't there a plot here somewhere?" feeling - the book will start off with a succinct plot and then become all about the 'unrequited love'.
The Infernal Devices love triangle was good because it did not distract from the plot,.. "

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!!! i can enjoy love triangles if (1) they do not make the story, (2) the protagonist doesn't spend every.flippin. page talking about her two loves! I used to enjoy love triangles more, but now they are very overused! But i do still like a few: infernal devices (TEAM WILL!:D)

Also, I have to agree that the use of a girl protagonist having noo idea they are stunningly beautiful (even though everyone tells them they are..multiple times..) and then suddenly ! every guy she meets falls in love with her! it's very unrealistic and annoying!

*sorry for my rant :)*

message 17: by HC (new)

HC | 33 comments Anna wrote: "Booknut wrote: "I agree. Love triangles are sometimes enjoyable but they should never overpower the plot. Sometimes you'll read a book and get that "Wasn't there a plot here somewhere?" feeling - t..."

I agree!!!! It also annoys me when the girl is really pathetic and doesn't deserve all the guys that fall in love with her!!! :D

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lauren0924) | 68 comments I so love this thread! I cannot stand love triangles. I find them annoying and usually pointless. I feel like sometimes authors use them just to extend and lengthen the story. It gets old. Also, I hate when you have a cute couple and then someone comes along and tries to break it up or all of a sudden, the girl or guy forgets about the person they've been with after seeing the new person for like five seconds. Ugh.

message 19: by Anique (new)

Anique | 8 comments I honestly think that there are 4 types of romance stories: Love Triangle, D'arcy and Elizabeth, Titanic and a Stright-up Romnnce. They can all be tedious sometimes!!!

message 20: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Anique wrote: "I honestly think that there are 4 types of romance stories: Love Triangle, D'arcy and Elizabeth, Titanic and a Stright-up Romnnce. They can all be tedious sometimes!!!"

That is very true! x

message 21: by Cassy (new)

Cassy I do agree that they are very tedious to read. Sometimes, i get so frustrated that i want to just give the main characters a good talking to and possibly knock some sense into them! I really am getting tired of the overrated love triangles such as the ones in Twilight, Delirium (i couldn't bear to read the second one b/c i was so disappointed about the love triangle), the nearly non-existent one in the Hunger Games, and then of course, a growing number of ya novels yet to come...why do authors have to put readers through this? *sigh*

message 22: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Cassy wrote: "I do agree that they are very tedious to read. Sometimes, i get so frustrated that i want to just give the main characters a good talking to and possibly knock some sense into them! I really am get..."

Haha exactly!

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Cassy wrote: "I do agree that they are very tedious to read. Sometimes, i get so frustrated that i want to just give the main characters a good talking to and possibly knock some sense into them! I really am get..."

Can't agree more!

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lauren0924) | 68 comments Cassy wrote: "I do agree that they are very tedious to read. Sometimes, i get so frustrated that i want to just give the main characters a good talking to and possibly knock some sense into them! I really am get..."

agree! And that's the reason I haven't read the sequel to Delirium yet, because I'm dreading the love triangle!

message 25: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Lauren wrote: "Cassy wrote: "I do agree that they are very tedious to read. Sometimes, i get so frustrated that i want to just give the main characters a good talking to and possibly knock some sense into them! I..."

I haven't read Delirium yet...

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Olivia wrote: I haven't read Delirium yet... ""

It's soooo good!!! You should definitely read it! :)

I haven't read pandemonium either..grr why did she have to add a love triangle?? WHY!?

message 27: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Anna wrote: "Olivia wrote: I haven't read Delirium yet... ""

It's soooo good!!! You should definitely read it! :)

I haven't read pandemonium either..grr why did she have to add a love triangle?? WHY!?"

I will:)

message 28: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla | 6 comments Now, I was not a delirium fan, and you don't really get the TRIANGLE aspect until the end of pandemonium, but I did end up liking it. I DETEST the Hunger Games, not just for the LT, but that was most of it. It's sad to me that all the dystopian novels (which is pretty much my favorite genre right now besides Victorian) have to have it, and has anyone else noticed that it's the 'good' guy who's always blonde and blue eyed vs. the 'baddie' or 'anomaly' with dark hair and a fabulous smolder? matched, possesion, delirium (not as much, but still) etc. I'm OK with an LT every once in a while, but like has been said, not as the entire storyline. like with matched, and crossed, the whole thing seemed to me to be, oh yeah, she's matcthed to her BFF who is also her BF but then this random comes along and suddenly she's willing to be exiled for him? please. a little realism would be nice.

message 29: by HC (new)

HC | 33 comments Mikayla wrote: "Now, I was not a delirium fan, and you don't really get the TRIANGLE aspect until the end of pandemonium, but I did end up liking it. I DETEST the Hunger Games, not just for the LT, but that was mo..."

I totally agree!!!! Especially with the Matched and Crossed part...It was very hard to get through them and it would be so much more interesting if the LT wasnt in there!!

message 30: by Shatha (new)

Shatha (idrinktoomuchtea) | 32 comments Quite true actually.
I mean look at these:
Twilight: Bella Edward and Jacob
Shadow Falls: Kylie Lucas and Derek
The Hunger Games: Katniss Peeta and Gale
But the thing about them is that, though they can be annoying, they also make us read the whole series thinking 'Who will she end up with?' Then we all agree/disagree with who the writer chooses and we make up teams because we all fall in love with fictional characters everyday... <3

message 31: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Shatha wrote: "Quite true actually.
I mean look at these:
Twilight: Bella Edward and Jacob
Shadow Falls: Kylie Lucas and Derek
The Hunger Games: Katniss Peeta and Gale
But the thing about them is that, though the..."

True

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Mancini (jennmancini) | 8 comments I would love to hear what a male member would say here because my husband swears that these triangles are completely blown out of proportion and that it annoys him that all of these female protagonists are ALWAYS written in such a way that every single man they encounter falls madly in love with them. (Bella, Katniss, Anita Blake, Clary) These are all women on the receiving end of all that lovin'. What's a man's take?

message 33: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) From a man's point of view; if it's a male, female, male triangle, I don't mind as long as it's clear that the female is obviously drawn to one character more than the other, so Twilight works for me.

If it's female, male, female, my hypothalamus gland always asks, "Can't the three of us get along, perhaps in bed?"

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Mancini (jennmancini) | 8 comments Stan wrote: "From a man's point of view; if it's a male, female, male triangle, I don't mind as long as it's clear that the female is obviously drawn to one character more than the other, so Twilight works for ..."

Hilarious!

message 35: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Mikayla wrote: "Now, I was not a delirium fan, and you don't really get the TRIANGLE aspect until the end of pandemonium, but I did end up liking it. I DETEST the Hunger Games, not just for the LT, but that was mo..."

I never noticed the colouring but you're so right!!
Good guy = blonde and angelic (+love of poetry or other)
Bad boy = smouldering and brooding (+ leather jacket)
Bad boy + Good guy + Confused girl who is 16/17 = Love Triangle

message 36: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Booknut wrote: "Mikayla wrote: "Now, I was not a delirium fan, and you don't really get the TRIANGLE aspect until the end of pandemonium, but I did end up liking it. I DETEST the Hunger Games, not just for the LT,..."

so true..

message 37: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Isabelle wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Mikayla wrote: "Now, I was not a delirium fan, and you don't really get the TRIANGLE aspect until the end of pandemonium, but I did end up liking it. I DETEST the Hunger Games, not ..."

:D

message 38: by HC (new)

HC | 33 comments Booknut wrote: "Mikayla wrote: "Now, I was not a delirium fan, and you don't really get the TRIANGLE aspect until the end of pandemonium, but I did end up liking it. I DETEST the Hunger Games, not just for the LT,..."

Completely accurate! :D

message 39: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Booknut wrote: "Mikayla wrote: "Now, I was not a delirium fan, and you don't really get the TRIANGLE aspect until the end of pandemonium, but I did end up liking it. I DETEST the Hunger Games, not just for the LT,..."

Haha o my goodness, yes! Never thought of it that way:P

message 40: by E.E.S. (new)

E.E.S. (classicsvariety) | 48 comments When properly written, love triangles are fine. Again, I really don't have much preference except it has to be good.

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 96 comments Booknut wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "To be honest the only love triangle I ever preferred was in The Infernal Devices.
- Hunger Games
- Death bringer (With Valkryie and Fletcher and Caelan)..."

There's a Skulduggery Love triangle? Oh no...

I like the love triangles that are NOT irritating, but you know...FUNNY? Like the Annabeth/Percy/Rachel love triangle!

Ha! It's like this Rachel was trying to hit on Percy and then Annabeth was jealous and Percy was like: "Whoa! This is awkward...why are you guys actin' like this?" He is so blind...

message 42: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Althea wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "To be honest the only love triangle I ever preferred was in The Infernal Devices.
- Hunger Games
- Death bringer (With Valkryie and Flet..."

Haha true. I did enjoy that love triangle! It was soo funny!

message 43: by AJ (new)

AJ (aiashineshin) | 47 comments Hunger Games - Peeta/Katniss/Gale
Twilight- Edward/Bella/Jacob
and also..
Bad Boy/Balanced Girl/Good Boy

message 44: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Althea wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "To be honest the only love triangle I ever preferred was in The Infernal Devices.
- Hunger Games

Percy can be a clueless goober sometimes!! :D

message 45: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Booknut wrote: "Althea wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "To be honest the only love triangle I ever preferred was in The Infernal Devices.
- Hunger Games
- Death bringer (With Va..."

True!

message 46: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Booknut wrote: "Mikayla wrote: "Now, I was not a delirium fan, and you don't really get the TRIANGLE aspect until the end of pandemonium, but I did end up liking it. I DETEST the Hunger Games, not just for the LT,..."

That pretty much sums it up! Lol! :)

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Althea wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "To be honest the only love triangle I ever preferred was in The Infernal Devices.
- Hunger Games

*laughs* That was a GREAT love triangle! Funny sweet and not serious and overdramatic! Hehe Percy is a little clueless when it comes to romance ;)

message 48: by HC (new)

HC | 33 comments Anna wrote: "Althea wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "To be honest the only love triangle I ever preferred was in The Infernal Devices.
- Hunger Games

ha ha ha!!! :D

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo (eiyah_fantasyfreak) | 96 comments Anna wrote: "Althea wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "To be honest the only love triangle I ever preferred was in The Infernal Devices.
- Hunger Games

Exactly! I love love triangles like that...also the Ranger's Apprentice love triangle Alyss/Will/Evelyn.

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Mancini (jennmancini) | 8 comments Booknut wrote: "Althea wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Isabelle wrote: "To be honest the only love triangle I ever preferred was in The Infernal Devices.
- Hunger Games

RE: Death Bringer -- it got a pretty low rating on Goodreads and no ratings at all at Barnes and Noble. Is it worth a try?

« previous 1 3