The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Book Battle Arena > Harry Potter VS Twilight ~ Battle Royale

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
I couldn't resist!! Which one do you think is better and why?!

message 2: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments For me it has and always will be Harry Potter & i could not comprehend comparing the two (as in my opinion Twilight is in no way comparable or on the same level). JK Rowling is a pure genious when it comes to writing work that is origional to the core and so distinctive, that no one could copy it or come close in something similar to it; her creation is unique. Not only that but it is so creative on all levels, where she created an entire *new* world from scratch and this has not been done since JRR Tolkien formed Middle-Earth. Hogwarts was just genious and her plot is inspired, with Voldemort & Harry's battle forever etched within the minds of readers and film lovers...i'm affraid that however enjoyable 'Twilight' is with the vampires and warewolves, it just cannot be compared to Potter. x

message 3: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Zohal | 1418 comments Mod
Harry potter, though you can't really compare them much other than the fact that they are both best-sellers.

message 4: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments They are both series that are loved by many readers, hence it is hard to compare them...don't like it! Xx

message 5: by HC (new)

HC | 33 comments i think that Harry Potter is better, but it is more for children than Twilight so it is a bit hard to compare them. :D

message 6: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Harry Potter all the way! I grew up reading Harry Potter. It is a very big part of my childhood. It impacted me in ways I don't think Twilight ever could. J. K. Rowling also incorporates a lot of deeper meaning in her books, which Stephanie Meyers does not. I also find J.K Rowlings writing style much more enjoyable.

message 7: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Olivia wrote: "Harry Potter all the way! I grew up reading Harry Potter. It is a very big part of my childhood. It impacted me in ways I don't think Twilight ever could. J. K. Rowling also incorporates a lot of d..."

:D I think Harry Potter is a work of genius - a detailed world constructed purely from the author's imagination. It is definitely a star-quality book series!

message 8: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Booknut wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Harry Potter all the way! I grew up reading Harry Potter. It is a very big part of my childhood. It impacted me in ways I don't think Twilight ever could. J. K. Rowling also incorpor..."

I agree completely.

message 9: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) Why that would be like comparing broomsticks and sparkles! Loved them both

message 10: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments *laughing* !x

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Stan wrote: "Why that would be like comparing broomsticks and sparkles! Loved them both"

Haha great comparison:) Although, for me, broomsticks (flying ones) win:)

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue (youvebeensued) *Laughing so hard that her stomach hurts now!*

Awesome comparison! Sparkles and broomsticks! :P

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lauren0924) | 68 comments Harry Potter! I love love love Harry Potter and the entire world that goes along with it. It's so easy to get swept away into their magical world.

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Olivia wrote: "Harry Potter all the way! I grew up reading Harry Potter. It is a very big part of my childhood. It impacted me in ways I don't think Twilight ever could. J. K. Rowling also incorporates a lot of d..."

i agree completely! harry potter was a HUGE part of my childhood *still waiting for my acceptance letter to Hogwarts* , and while I loved Twilight, there is no comparison! The world J.K Rowling created will stay with me always <3

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Anna wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Harry Potter all the way! I grew up reading Harry Potter. It is a very big part of my childhood. It impacted me in ways I don't think Twilight ever could. J. K. Rowling also incorpor..."

I've waited for my Hogwarts letter for 11 years...and still waiting!

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Don't worry! I'm sure they just got lost in the mail or something.... Hagrid's gonna hand deliver them to us soon! He's probably just been busy!

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Anna wrote: "Don't worry! I'm sure they just got lost in the mail or something.... Hagrid's gonna hand deliver them to us soon! He's probably just been busy!"

I hope so! I love Hagrid haha so he needs to get here so I can 1) go to Hogwarts and 2) meet Hagrid!

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments It would definitely be a dream come true!! :)

message 19: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments I'm sure that all readers of Harry Potter have longed for it to be 'real' and for them to be able to attend Hogwarts as a student...JK Rowling's world is so increadible, she is just a creative genius!! :)x

message 20: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Lucinda wrote: "I'm sure that all readers of Harry Potter have longed for it to be 'real' and for them to be able to attend Hogwarts as a student...JK Rowling's world is so increadible, she is just a creative geni..."

Well said:)

message 21: by Sue (last edited Jun 04, 2012 09:31AM) (new)

Sue (youvebeensued) If I ever go to Hogwarts, I want you guys with me! :D

message 22: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Same:)

message 23: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Olivia wrote: "Same:)"

Second that!

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Agreed :)

message 25: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Booknut wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Same:)"

Second that!"

third that

message 26: by E.E. (new)

E.E. (latinlovertothee) | 28 comments Harry Potter, yeesh! Twilight is horrible.

message 27: by Shatha (new)

Shatha (idrinktoomuchtea) | 32 comments Harry Potter obviously.
I mean, let's compare Bella and Hermione:
WHEN EDWARD LEFT BELLA: She was hallucinating, jumping off cliffs, hanging on to his shadow and breaking down all over the place.
WHEN RON LEFT HERMIONE (in HP7): She got over it and continued looking for Horcruxses (did I spell it right) with Harry.
WHEN EDWARD CAME BACK TO BELLA: She accepted him with open arms.
WHEN RON CAME BACK TO HERMIONE: She attacked him because he was a jerk.
Look, no offense to all the Twilight fans out there, but Bella is a horrible role model for girls, while most girls in HP are great ones. (I say most because I hate Cho Chang).

message 28: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Shatha wrote: "Harry Potter obviously.
WHEN EDWARD LEFT BELLA: She was hallucinating, jumping off cliffs, hanging on to his shadow and breaking down all over the place.
W..."

You make an excellent point. Lol about Cho Chang. I don't like her either

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethkreads) | 3 comments Even though i really liked Breaking Dawn i thought the first two Twilight books were very annoying and i cannot stand Edward! Harry Potter stomps all over Twilight good and proper!

message 30: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Shatha wrote: "Harry Potter obviously.
W..."

I agree completely!!!!!

message 31: by HC (new)

HC | 33 comments Shatha wrote: "Harry Potter obviously.
W..."

LOL!!!! I agree!!! Bella is pretty pathetic when you compare her to Hermione!!!

message 32: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments ~Haelee~ wrote: "Shatha wrote: "Harry Potter obviously.
WHEN EDWARD LEFT BELLA: She was hallucinating, jumping off cliffs, hanging on to his shadow and breaking down all ov..."

True!

message 33: by £mily (new)

£mily (3mily991) | 33 comments Shatha wrote: "Harry Potter obviously.
W..."

Agreed. I am not a fan of Twilight, and one of the main reasons is because I spent most of the series wanting to slap Bella. She is a selfish, whiny little brat that is completely dependent on her boyfriend. You are nothing without a man- What a great message to send out to the young girls who are reading this.

message 34: by Sue (new)

Sue (youvebeensued) *laughing after reading every one's comments*

Though I like the Twilight series, but I must admit Bella is very pathetic!

message 35: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments €mily☻♫♥ wrote: "Shatha wrote: "Harry Potter obviously.
WHEN EDWARD LEFT BELLA: She was hallucinating, jumping off cliffs, hanging on to his shadow and breaking down all ov..."

Agreed!

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Lucinda wrote: "For me it has and always will be Harry Potter & i could not comprehend comparing the two (as in my opinion Twilight is in no way comparable or on the same level). JK Rowling is a pure genious when ..."

Could not agree more, Lucinda!

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) My vote goes towards Harry Potter and, like others have already said, to me it is no competition. The writing, the characters, the world created..it helped cultivate blossoming young readers and enraptured the minds of the older. I will forever been in its grips.

On the Twilight note: my friends briefly played a game called "Who Wrote This: Stephanie Meyer or a 3rd Grader". It was surprising how often we got the wrong answer ... ;)

message 38: by HC (new)

HC | 33 comments Tiffani wrote: "My vote goes towards Harry Potter and, like others have already said, to me it is no competition. The writing, the characters, the world created..it helped cultivate blossoming young readers and en..."<

hahahahaha!!!! :D

message 39: by £mily (new)

£mily (3mily991) | 33 comments Tiffani wrote: "My vote goes towards Harry Potter and, like others have already said, to me it is no competition. The writing, the characters, the world created..it helped cultivate blossoming young readers and en..."

I can imagine.....

message 40: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Dear everyone,
I have never read the Twilight books but i have seen the first two films, and although i loved them a lot i have to say that i hated Edwards attitude in film one.
When he left Bella i really wanted to (well hurt somebody), as this was the most selfish thing to do, as if he truly loved her then they would be together no matter what! I am a great romantic and this particular event i did not like at all, plus also Bella's reaction to it; yes, i understand her being upset & quite distraught but to want to harm herself for a guy...doesn't she have a backbone??

A lot of fans are not going to like me saying this and i do apologise, but i have been brought up to believe that although love is special you can also live quite happily alone & strong women are those who not only care for others but who do think logically, about themselves (in a way) and who are able to stand on thier own two feet...i would NOT jump off a cliff for a guy, because if he was my soulmate then we would be jumping TOGETHER!!

Lucinda x

...my little morning rant :) x

message 41: by HC (new)

HC | 33 comments Lucinda wrote: "Dear everyone,
I have never read the Twilight books but i have seen the first two films, and although i loved them a lot i have to say that i hated Edwards attitude in film one.
When he left Bella..."

I completely agree!!!

message 42: by Abby (new)

Abby (i3cats) | 41 comments I've read both harry potter and twilight and seen all the movies in each series and I love both in different ways.

message 43: by Booknut, Head Moderator (last edited Jun 16, 2012 03:46AM) (new)

Lucinda wrote: "Dear everyone,
When he left Bella..."

Jumping off cliffs is her only method of dealing with it?! Seems a little...extreme. She should:
1.) Text
2.) E-mail
3.) Send a letter
4.) Call his family members and speak to them
5.) Speak to her family
6.) Talk to her friends
7.) Speak to a psychiatrist
8.) Seek help
9.) Try texting, emailing and letter writing again
10.) THEN jump off a cliff (preferably with Edward so we can start clapping)

:D

message 44: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Dear Booknut,
I did get a little too animated the other day, but that part in the film did stick out in my mind & i could not get on with it somehow. Your list of suggestions would make perfect alternatives that are much more rational & safe!
Lucinda x :)

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna Wood-gaines (annabanana13) | 1674 comments Rimpy wrote: "*laughing after reading every one's comments*

Though I like the Twilight series, but I must admit Bella is very pathetic!"

haha doing the same thing :) and I agree with you too!

message 46: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Haha
I love it:) Great suggestions Booknut!

message 47: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Olivia wrote: "Haha
I love it:) Great suggestions Booknut!"

I know! Shame Bella doesn't seem to think so (lol)!

message 48: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Booknut wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Haha

I know! Shame Bella doesn't seem to think so (lol)!"

Well, Bella's not the brightest crayon in the box...

message 49: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Olivia wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Haha

Well, Bella's not the brightest crayon in the box..."

*laughs hard* That is the best description of her I have ever read of! If you want to see the coolest totally Bella videos (Twilight parodies) Hillywood Studios has done some awesome ones:

Twilight: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MKz0gkcgAo
New Moon: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti13oOYvyp8
Eclipse: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cue1lwqe7zQ
Breaking Dawn: www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_zCqKTS5o0

message 50: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Booknut wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Booknut wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Haha

Well, Bella's not the brightest crayon in the box...."

I'll check all of them out:) I've seen the first 2 and I loved them! They are absolutely hilarious!

« previous 1