Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Summer 2012 10.9 - Christin's Task - I scream, You scream...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M 10.9 -- Christin's Task -- I scream, You scream...
July is American National Ice Cream month, with the third Sunday of the month being official "Ice Cream Day." Read a book with a flavor of ice cream/dessert listed in the title (Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla, Rocky Road, Cake, Pie, etc).

message 2: by Christin (last edited May 31, 2012 09:45PM) (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments Here are some Goodreads lists if people need a jumping off point ^_^

Summer Treat Books
Food in Book Titles
Chocolate Covered Fiction
Sweet Reads

message 3: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Christin wrote: "Here are some Goodreads lists if people need a jumping off point ^_^

Summer Treat Books
Food in Book Titles
Sweet Reads"

Thanks Christin, I completely forgot to post those!

message 4: by Christin (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments Liz M wrote: "Christin wrote: "Here are some Goodreads lists if people need a jumping off point ^_^

Summer Treat Books
Food in Book Titles
Sweet Reads"

Thanks Christin, I completely f..."

Sure thing! If I find any more I'll try to post those as well (since I realize I forgot to look up coffee, etc) ^_^

message 5: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4569 comments How about the word sweet in the title?

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniethepler) | 81 comments Now I have a wonderful excuse to finally read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake :)

message 7: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 01, 2012 03:42AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2955 comments Is greengage OK for this one? It is a small green plum. I have never seen greengage flavoured ice cream but it could be possible :) they are more often found in pies etc.
The Greengage Summer

message 8: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2288 comments Devil's Food Cake Murder?

message 9: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rosemary wrote: "Is greengage OK for this one? It is a small green plum. I have never seen greengage flavoured ice cream but it could be possible :) they are more often found in pies etc.
The Greengage Summer"

I'm going to let Christin answer this one.

message 10: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Devil's Food Cake Murder?"

That looks like a dessert to me.

message 11: by Christin (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments I'm going to immediately say ok to Greengage and Devil's Food Cake - I was going for various desserts so if Greengage is a type of pie I'll take it (plus if it's used as pie it's probably used as an ice cream flavor is my thought).

For "sweet" I guess it would have to be the context. If it refers to "sweets" (i.e. desserts) then it's good but if it just refers to something sweet I'm a bit more hesitant on it as the idea was more for specific flavors/desserts. I tend to be pretty easy going about these things (which means I'd immediately go "yes!") so I think I should have a moderator weigh in on the usage of "sweet." ^_^

message 12: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4569 comments Christin wrote: "I'm going to immediately say ok to Greengage and Devil's Food Cake - I was going for various desserts so if Greengage is a type of pie I'll take it (plus if it's used as pie it's probably used as a..."

I was looking at Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan but I am not sure it's even coming out in time in the US, so no worries if it's a no.

message 13: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 01, 2012 09:12AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2955 comments Christin wrote: "I'm going to immediately say ok to Greengage and Devil's Food Cake - I was going for various desserts so if Greengage is a type of pie I'll take it (plus if it's used as pie it's probably used as a..."

Well I don't know. It's a type of plum, so it is used in pies as a dessert, but not really ice cream. I have never seen it as ice cream. I meant that it would be theoretically possible, but like plum ice cream, it is not a known flavour. Would you say yes or no to plum? It's the same really.

message 14: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1402 comments This task is going to be a challenge for the moderator. They make ice cream flavors out of all sorts of things these days. Here is a link to the menu at one ice cream shop in San Francisco that I am hoping to visit soon.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12331 comments itpdx wrote: "This task is going to be a challenge for the moderator. They make ice cream flavors out of all sorts of things these days. Here is a link to the menu at one ice cream shop in San Francisco that I..."

A list would have been sufficient - but they insisted on photos too! The nerve! ;-)

message 16: by Connie (new)

Connie | 214 comments I once had Gorgonzola icecream - it was surprisingly delicious. And Asparagus.
Oh, and Tomato and Basil too - that one was more like a salad in a cone.

I'm adventurous, when it comes to icecream.

message 17: by Christin (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments Ice cream can come in really interesting flavors (one of my personal favorites is Rose for example) so I'm all for being flexible on the actual flavors used for this challenge ^_^

message 18: by Christin (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments Other books that are not on the above lists but work for this challenge are:

Discord's Apple
Shades of Milk and Honey (I've seen Honey flavored ice cream)
At the Sign of the Sugared Plum
The Peach Keeper
The Jelly Bean Crisis
Secrets of the Apple

message 19: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2955 comments itpdx wrote: "This task is going to be a challenge for the moderator. They make ice cream flavors out of all sorts of things these days. Here is a link to the menu at one ice cream shop in San Francisco that I..."

GRASSHOPPER PIE? Please tell me there are no actual grasshoppers in that :-/

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12331 comments Rosemary wrote: "GRASSHOPPER PIE? Please tell me there are no actual grasshoppers in that :-/ "

No, but it's wonderful! Made with lime jello and vanilla ice cream and I think pineapple juice on a graham cracker crust.

message 21: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 02, 2012 02:12AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2955 comments That does sound wonderful! I am surprised we have not imported it yet!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12331 comments Rosemary wrote: "That does sound wonderful! I am surprised we have not imported it yet!"

LOL My mother must have made the tee-totallers version (and that would have been so unlike her). I just looked at a recipe and it has creme de menthe in it and other things. I guess more like the grasshopper cocktail in a pie crust!

message 23: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4569 comments Is there lollipop ice cream? ;)

The Lollipop Shoes

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12331 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Is there lollipop ice cream? ;)

The Lollipop Shoes"

http://www.foodchannel.com/recipes/re...

message 25: by Christin (last edited Jun 02, 2012 06:27PM) (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Is there lollipop ice cream? ;)

The Lollipop Shoes"

Lollipop is a form of dessert so I'll take it ^_~

also, that link looked way too yummy!

message 26: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4569 comments Thanks, Christin and Elizabeth! Those ice cream lollipops do look yummy indeed!

message 27: by Connie (new)

message 28: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6154 comments Connie, those are pretty cool, but I think we are looking for the flavors not the shapes! :)

message 29: by Liz M (new)

Liz M itpdx wrote: "This task is going to be a challenge for the moderator. They make ice cream flavors out of all sorts of things these days. Here is a link to the menu at one ice cream shop in San Francisco that I..."

To make it easier for the moderators, if it is an especially unusual flavor of ice cream or a foreign dessert, we'll ask participants to provide a corroborating link.

message 30: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Connie wrote: "The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Combo +25 (10.7 (if you're female and non-Russian); 20.1; 20.10; 20.98; 10.9 (if you go for Margarita ice cream)) ..."

I think the dessert word in the title should refer to the dessert, so in this case, Margarita does not earn combo points for 10.9.

message 31: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 03, 2012 04:14PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4347 comments Here's some fun facts from the BaskinRobbins website
http://www.baskinrobbins.com/content/...

Here are the current 31 flavors

Here is a list of the original 31 flavors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baskin-R...

I saved the best until last......
Check out the Ice Cream Float Cake!!!! I need one now!

wait for the second picture to load after the strawberry lemonade ice cream cone

message 32: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1595 comments Would fig work? I am thinking of fig newtons - a type of cookie.

The First Fig Tree

message 33: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Fig Ice Cream

Yes, fig should work.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 539 comments That sounds vile! I hate figs haha

message 35: by Tobey (new)

Tobey | 241 comments Rachelccameron wrote: "That sounds vile! I hate figs haha"

Agreed, yuck but hey, whatever works for points! :-)

message 36: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1595 comments Well, I never imagined it for a flavor of ice cream, but the picture actually looks enticing and refreshing!

message 37: by Christin (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments I've had fig gelato which I thought was extremely yummy...but then I like figs! ^_^

message 38: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1911 comments Here's a list of Ben & Jerry's flavors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

Quick question: Ben & Jerry's has flavors like

Boston Cream Pie
Dublin Mudslide
Stephen Colbert's AmeriCone Dream™

Would the entire flavor name need to be in the book title to count -- as in "Boston Cream Pie"? or, would one word out of the flavor name suffice "Boston" or "Cream" or "Pie"?

message 39: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Deedee wrote: "Here's a list of Ben & Jerry's flavors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

Quick question: Ben & Jerry's has flavors like

Boston Cream Pie
Dublin Mudslide
Stephen ..."

No to Boston and Cream (the individual words are not dessert flavors), yes to pie

message 40: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments Would Popco work? I'm thinking cake pops and soda pop, but I'm not sure if it's too far out?

message 41: by Liz M (last edited Jul 03, 2012 07:50AM) (new)

Liz M Louise wrote: "Would Popco work? I'm thinking cake pops and soda pop, but I'm not sure if it's too far out?"

No, the word in the title needs to refer to the actual dessert (see message 30 above) and Popco is a toy company.

message 42: by Louise Bro (new)

Louise Bro | 477 comments Thanks for clearing that up, I'm trying to find out if it works for square peg. I still have some lists to go through...

message 43: by Connie (last edited Jul 17, 2012 02:35AM) (new)

Connie | 214 comments Would you accept Tea as an ice cream flavour?

Tea ice cream

And if yes, would you accept The Book of Tea for this task?

message 44: by Connie (new)

Connie | 214 comments bump, in case this went unnoticed.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12331 comments Sorry, Connie. Mighty unusual, but yes it qualifies.

message 46: by Connie (new)

Connie | 214 comments Thanks, Elizabeth! I've had it once, and then some Jasmine Tea flavored ice cream and both were delicious.

(Apparently, you can put stuff in ice cream I normally wouldn't eat or drink, and I will try it. I draw a line at mushrooms though.)

message 47: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (knittingyogini) | 162 comments Green tea ice cream is one of my favorites and actually seems to be pretty common in Japanese restaurants/Asian grocery stores around here. (I would love to go to Japan sometime and see if its true there as well. :) )

message 48: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 255 comments Just to make sure: I've found Wine Ice Cream, so would The Wine of Angels work?

My other possible choice would have been The Grapes of Wrath (Grape Ice Cream), but I suppose that it wouldn't really work because the book has "grapes" in the plural, so it isn't the actual ice cream flavor, is it?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12331 comments Isabell wrote: "Just to make sure: I've found Wine Ice Cream, so would The Wine of Angels work?

My other possible choice would have been The Grapes of Wrath (Grape Ice Cream), but I suppose that it wouldn't reall..."

Either of those will work.

message 50: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 255 comments Thanks. I'm off to start my book for this task, then.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.