Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Summer 2012 10.7 - Rosemary's Task - The Past is a Foreign Country

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M 10.7 - Rosemary's Task - The Past is a Foreign Country
Read a book by an author who (a) died before 1-Jun-1962 and (b) was born in a different country than you and (c) was of the opposite sex. All three criteria must be fulfilled.

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 859 comments The following link will take you to a site, Fantastic Fiction where you can search by year what authors died. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/yea...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Thanks, Don! I forgot that site had multiple types of search capabilities.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments How do you find the year they died

Don (The Book Guy) (donthelibrarian) | 859 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "How do you find the year they died"

The link I posted takes you to 1960, you scroll down the page and it lists who died that year. click on the name and it gives info about the author. At the top of the link page, there is a previous year button so that you can search back through other years.

message 6: by Christin (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments Don wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "How do you find the year they died"

The link I posted takes you to 1960, you scroll down the page and it lists who died that year. click on the name and it gives i..."

Going through that list it seems to be authors that were born in 1960 and not authors that died in 1960 as I see contemporary authors like Neil Gaiman on there.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments okay could I chose Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and read Sherlock Holmes?

message 8: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1869 comments So for me, it is: (a) died before 1-Jun-1962 and (b) was not born in America and (c) male.

Yeah! Charles Dickens!

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie | 214 comments Christin wrote: "Going through that list it seems to be authors that were born in 1960 and not authors that died in 1960 as I see contemporary authors like Neil Gaiman on there."

Christin, it's even further down than that :) It lists Authors born first, and underneath Authors died in 1960.

message 10: by Christin (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments Connie wrote: "Christin wrote: "Going through that list it seems to be authors that were born in 1960 and not authors that died in 1960 as I see contemporary authors like Neil Gaiman on there."

Christin, it's ev..."

lol, I should not read things in the morning! thanks Connie!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Christin wrote: "lol, I should not read things in the morning!"

I should have a sign made with this! (Reading isn't as much a problem as responding, though.)

message 12: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2857 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "okay could I chose Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and read Sherlock Holmes?"

Yes as long as you are female and were not born in the UK :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Deedee wrote: "So for me, it is: (a) died before 1-Jun-1962 and (b) was not born in America and (c) male.

Yeah! Charles Dickens!"

Who has combos with 20.9 and 20.8 too!

message 14: by Kathleen (itpdx) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1369 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Deedee wrote: "So for me, it is: (a) died before 1-Jun-1962 and (b) was not born in America and (c) male.

Yeah! Charles Dickens!"

Who has combos with 20.9 and 20.8 too!"

And will be an oldie and some will be jumbos!

message 15: by Liz M (last edited Jun 03, 2012 03:09PM) (new)

Liz M Other places to find author death days include the author's goodreads profile, wikipedia, or you could even try googling the author if none of the above work.

message 16: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4243 comments itpdx wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Deedee wrote: "So for me, it is: (a) died before 1-Jun-1962 and (b) was not born in America and (c) male.

Yeah! Charles Dickens!"

Who has combos with 20.9 and 20.8 too!..."

As does Alexandre Dumas and you get Lit points, unless you are a male or born in France that is.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Rebekah wrote: "As does Alexandre Dumas and you get Lit points, unless you are a male or born in France that is. "

Yep, I'm about to embark on The Count of Monte Cristo, which is worth 85 points! (+15 oldies and +25 jumbo)

message 18: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4243 comments You go, Lady! I'm thinking about The Three Musketeers or The Man in the Iron Mask

message 19: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4243 comments I "read" The Jewish War by audiobook. The Most Popular Version says it is 511 pages but at the end of the audiobook it says "This concludes volume one". This was after about 9 hours of listening. I can't find a paper copy that lists by volumes. How should I count pages?

message 20: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 07, 2012 08:10AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Do you have an ISBN? There is no edition on GR "audiobook" or perhaps you had a CD or other audio?

ETA: It looks like Volume I is this: Jewish Antiquities: Books 1-3, which is 512 pages in paper, so the same as your link.

message 21: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4243 comments I downloaded it from audiobooks. Here is the link.
http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B002UU...

The thing is, I don't think it was a Jumbo read

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.