*~Can't Stop Reading~* discussion

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
This topic is about Eat, Pray, Love
Past Reads > Eat, Pray, Love

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, A dream within a dream (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 387 comments Mod
Eat, Pray, Love is this month's nominated non list read - enjoy the discussion.

Sunny (travellingsunny) I'm interested to hear what folks think about this book. I read it earlier this year, and it was not one of my favorites. There are three very, very distinct sections based on the three "I" countries that she visits.

I enjoyed her time in Italy, but I read this book literally two months before my first trip to Rome, so I was a bit biased at the time. Still, I had a difficult time relating to the main character in the following two sections.

Lauren (youratlass) | 62 comments Mod
I read this a few years ago and can safely say that there is no chance I will re-read this one. I spent the entire book wanting to just punch her in her mouth. No one needs to whine that much. I have known people that loved this book (it was recommended by a former roommate, hence me finishing it) but I really disliked it.

message 4: by Nicolle (new) - added it

Nicolle I own this and shall start after I've finished The Handmaid's Tale and Room.

message 5: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments Downloaded and will be up next after I have finished Delirium. Cant wait.

Rachel (rachelschell) I read this book a long time ago, but it's still one of my favorites. It's a book I own and I'll keep to re-read and there aren't many books I will re-read if that tells you anything.

message 7: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments I have started this and so far really enjoying it. Although not my usual type of book, I find the writing style humorous and easy. Thumbs up so far. I will update after.

Glenda L I read this book some time ago ... I liked the first part and the last part, but the middle of the book went on far too long. It was really not one of my favorite books.

message 9: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Hunt Have the book to read but not sure about it yet. Procrastinating because the hype has annoyed me intensely and need to force myself to read it

message 10: by Roxane (new) - added it

Roxane (roxaneh) | 14 comments I downloaded this book yesterday and so far I'm liking it, it reads like a true story, is it? I never had a desire to watch the movie, but I'm hoping to enjoy the book.

message 11: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments Hi I watched the movie and some of it is similar to the book but not all. I am halfway through and enjoying it even though its not a genre I usually read. It does read like a true story though but I dont know if it is. Maybe someone will update us?

message 12: by Roxane (new) - added it

Roxane (roxaneh) | 14 comments Thanks Bev, I'm nearing halfway through myself and I find that I have to take breaks from it, because it is a bit wordy...I know funny thing to say about a book, anyone else feel the same?

message 13: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments Roxanne - exactly. I usually fly through books but not this one. I keep reading it before bed so maybe its doing its job.......

message 14: by Roxane (new) - added it

Roxane (roxaneh) | 14 comments I fly through books to, lol. I'm not sure how I will feel about this one when it's finally over. It is a hard one to stay awake and read.

message 15: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments Thats what I thought. I am enjoying it but I am not feeling the urge to gallop through it. What are you going to read next?

message 16: by Roxane (new) - added it

Roxane (roxaneh) | 14 comments I'm reading The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo at the same time, and will be reading Free Fall in the sisterhood series by Fern Michaels soon I want to get through the whole series. What will you be reading next?

message 17: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments I enjoyed the girl with the dragon tattoo and its sequels. Saying that I love Scandinavian fiction/crime.

I am torn as to what to read next. I managed to borrow The Book Thief from the library which I understand will be Julys read. I have also got The Night Circus waiting for me on my kindle. Saying that after Eat Pray Love I need something I can fly through. Any ideas?

Rachel (rachelschell) it is a true story... a memoir.

message 19: by Roxane (new) - added it

Roxane (roxaneh) | 14 comments Thanks Rachel, I thought so but wanted to be sure. Bev have you read any of the sisterhood series, they are very quick reads sometimes only takes me a few days, that said anything written by Sophie Kinsella as well or Emily Giffin, I love reading books like that in between much more indepth novels.

message 20: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments Thanks Rachel and Roxane I think I may have read a Sophie Kinsella but I am not aware of the Sisterhood bks. I will go and research them. I like a good mix.Thanks

Sunny (travellingsunny) Roxane wrote: "Thanks Bev, I'm nearing halfway through myself and I find that I have to take breaks from it, because it is a bit wordy...I know funny thing to say about a book, anyone else feel the same?"

I enjoyed only the first third of the book - up to the point that she left Rome. By the time she started in with the heavy meditation, she lost me.

message 22: by Roxane (new) - added it

Roxane (roxaneh) | 14 comments I'm not even there yet, but I think that is probably where I will get lost too :(, time will tell.

message 23: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments Sunny I enjoyed the Italy bit ( all that food) and I am currently In India and a bit baffled. Hopefully I wil reach understanding (chuckle) later in the book.

Sunny (travellingsunny) Bev wrote: "Sunny I enjoyed the Italy bit ( all that food) and I am currently In India and a bit baffled. Hopefully I wil reach understanding (chuckle) later in the book."

..."reach understanding"... *snickering* Clever!

message 25: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments ooh I saw a glow then not sure if it was blue tho.....

Sunny (travellingsunny) *snickering AND snorting*

message 27: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments Well finally finished Eat Pray Love. Do I feel enriched by reading it? Yes. Did I fully get it or even understand it? No probably not. It is a book of several parts and I found each different to read. Italy was fun and very me. India whoosh over my head. Bali well it seemed rushed and less loved by the author.
Whilst reading it I enjoyed it but in between struggled to pick it up again. My verdict is give it a try after all it is well written and at times funny. Just dont expect to like it all.

message 28: by Roxane (new) - added it

Roxane (roxaneh) | 14 comments good points ...I'm finding it hard to want to finish it...but I'm sure I will. definitely not what I thought it would be.

message 29: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments No nor me Roxane.

message 30: by Roxane (new) - added it

Roxane (roxaneh) | 14 comments Does anyone know why Richard keeps calling Liz groceries? I think I was asleep when I read that part, lol.

message 31: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments Was it something to do with her eating all the time in the cafe?

message 32: by Roxane (new) - added it

Roxane (roxaneh) | 14 comments Maybe, I didn't want to go back and check, lol. just want to move forward. He just keeps saying it and I find it to be somewhat annoying.

message 33: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments Yep I know what you mean.

Mimicha | 15 comments I finished it and I'm not unhappy that I did. I feel that it wasn't as good as some thought nor as bad as others thought. There were parts that were relatable but I don't feel that I'm a better or more insightful person for having read it.

message 35: by Bev (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments Mimicha wrote: "I finished it and I'm not unhappy that I did. I feel that it wasn't as good as some thought nor as bad as others thought. There were parts that were relatable but I don't feel that I'm a better or..."

Good point. I agree.

Rachel (rachelschell) Roxane wrote: "Does anyone know why Richard keeps calling Liz groceries? I think I was asleep when I read that part, lol."

because she eats so much. :)

message 37: by Roxane (new) - added it

Roxane (roxaneh) | 14 comments That explain's it, thanks Rachel...just finished it yesterday :)

message 38: by Paula (new) - rated it 1 star

Paula Sealey (paulasealey) I read this book a couple of years ago, and after seeing all the hype and glowing reviews, I was anticipating a great read.

What I got was one readable, and at times, enjoyable, chapter (Italy), but it was downhill all the way from there.

I struggled to get through Elizabeth's constant whining, and so nearly gave up on the book many times. The chapter on India was mind numbingly boring and heavy going. I did persevere, but not sure why!

I'm not really sure how this book could be classed as 'life changing' at all. It certainly hasn't changed mine!

message 39: by Roxane (new) - added it

Roxane (roxaneh) | 14 comments Paula wrote: "I read this book a couple of years ago, and after seeing all the hype and glowing reviews, I was anticipating a great read.

What I got was one readable, and at times, enjoyable, chapter (Italy), b..."

That is pretty much how I felt Paula, I try not to read books while there is a lot of hype going on, because I find that usually it doen't compare, and yet still I didn't find myself liking this book too much. Yes she was funny, but more often than not annoying. I was left feeling a little unsatisfied by it. That's just my opinion.

Jasmine linso | 5 comments It took me a long time to finish the book but It's really good and quite enlightening. My favorite is the Italy part, it sure made me hungry while I was reading it. The book made me want to travel and broaden my perspective in life.

Sunny (travellingsunny) I think we should recommend the book be sold as three separate installments, then only purchase the Italy part. The story could have ended there for me with few repercussions. :)

Claire Dobson I found it an average read, some parts were dragged out which spolit it a bit, i felt. It did make me yearn for adventure in strange lands and I must confess, having some time to find out who I am, would be amazing (although maybe a tad selfish as I have a husband and 3 daughters).

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) I enjoyed it...not what I was expecting. I have the next book ready in the wings....it's the next book after eat pray love its called committed for those of you who would like to read it

Teri-lynn (bookworm31) Sunny in Wonderland wrote: "I think we should recommend the book be sold as three separate installments, then only purchase the Italy part. The story could have ended there for me with few repercussions. :)"

I found that I enjoyed the last part...I like how she found love a gain