Anne Taylor Loft discussion

Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption—from South Central to Hollywood
This topic is about Ice
ICE: My thoughts.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emily (emilyoestevez) | 33 comments Mod
I don't know who else has read this, but even if It was just me, I'm glad I did. This covers Ice's life from childhood to now, in Ice's own words. So much so, that I often heard his voice in my head narrating. That was a treat.

Learning about his life was fascinating, from joining the Army and learning from "real pimps" in Hawaii about how to get into the game, to his crime sprees and entertainment endeavors. He does it all! And then he talks about Coco and all is right in the world. I truly believe that Ice Loves Coco. The story of how they met is wonderful, and if you've ever seen the show, you know they're perfect for each other.

Back to the book, overall I would give it 3.5/5. It was a fun read, but the structure was kind of hard to follow. It went mostly chronologically (I think), and the sections were themed, which was nice, but there was just a lot going on. There was also a lot of references to hip hop and a lot of hip hop artists. I know some of them, but other names were lost on me. I bet it would be much cooler/make more sense if I were more connected to that genre.

Highlights: The photo section, the story about going to Red Lobster with Flavor Flav.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

"I truly believe that Ice loves Coco."-- Emily O'Connor

Thank you Emily for your insight. Obviously this book has changed my life. Allow me to share with you some passages that struck a chord with me:

"Pimps don't hide behind bushes pretending to be some UPS man. They're flamboyant as fuck."

“That's one of the first things that comes out of young people's mouths when they're in love. FOREVER. And that's cool, it's all good-until you get old enough to realize what forever is.”

"Never mumble some sarcastic shit to somebody who can fuck you up.”

Also the self-portraits at the Monte Carlo were nothing short of breathtaking.

Emily (emilyoestevez) | 33 comments Mod
I think we can all learn to be a little bit more "flamboyant as fuck" after reading this book.