Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Supper Club (Carbs & Cadavers) - J.B. Stanley

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2408 comments Mod
June 2012

Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1) by J.B. Stanley

This thread is for discussing all books in the Supper Club series. If you're talking about a specific book, please include the cover and it's number in the series.

Fit to Die (A Supper Club Mystery, #2) by J.B. Stanley Chili Con Corpses (A Supper Club Mystery, #3) by J.B. Stanley Stiffs and Swine (A Supper Club Mystery, #4) by J.B. Stanley The Battered Body (A Supper Club Mystery, #5) by J.B. Stanley Black Beans and Vice (A Supper Club Mystery, #6) by J.B. Stanley

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 55 comments I'm actually caught up on this series and enjoyed them all!

message 3: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 4 comments I may join in since I have the first book in the tbr pile.

message 4: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (fivesunflowers) | 15 comments Just finished Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1) by J.B. Stanley , my very first ever cozy read! I found all the characters to be very likeable, especially James, the main character. He is a gentle, shy, sweet man who seemed to be coming out of his shell by the end of the book. I found their "investigative" practices a little far-fetched and didn't understand how they all found the time with their full-time jobs, supper club meetings, and other commitments to solve a murder case quite honestly. I found the unraveling of the murderer to be just completely unbelievable, and more importantly, very flat.

message 5: by April (new)

April | 7 comments Just finished this book. Really enjoyed the series. Great pick.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Cameron (kjcall) | 33 comments I just finished Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1) by J.B. Stanley . I honestly didn't connect with the characters or the plot line. Maybe my next cozy read will be more to my tastes -- pun intended --

message 7: by ChrisGA (last edited Jun 06, 2012 10:08PM) (new)

ChrisGA | 48 comments Granted, their investigative practices are a bit far-fetched,but that is pretty much the nature of a cozy. Everyday people doing unbelievable stuff to solve a murder before the police do--but that's also the fun.

The characters are such a delightful mixed bag. I sympathized with their efforts to diet and their many "cheats" and thought it was a very realistic picture of the true food addict who eats for stress-relief, comfort and pleasure- not hunger. Maybe that's why I identified with The Flab Five more than others might since I share their problem.

Since this was the first book, we have only just gotten to know a little about the characters. I assume they will be more fully developed as the series goes along. I enjoyed Lucy and James and hoped for romance to blossom. Gillian did seem a caricature of a flaky new-ager, but Lindy was more down-to-earth.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara I have still been trying to get my hands on this one so I started with the other book. I am glad to hear it is pretty good.

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara fivesunflowers wrote: "Just finished Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1) by J.B. Stanley, my very first ever cozy read! I found all the characters to be very likeable, especially James, the main character. He is a gentle, shy, sweet man who ..."

Yay! Glad you liked your first cozy!

message 10: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (fivesunflowers) | 15 comments I thought Jame's was adorable -- I very much sympathized with him, and his relationship with his father, although my father was amazing and wonderful, I know many who have parent's like James. And even though his father was always so mean and hurtful to him, he always still made his dad his breakfast and never lost his temper with him...

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinreve) | 7 comments I recently finished Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1) by J.B. Stanley and really enjoyed it. I could relate to "Flab Five" and am planning to read the other books in the series. :)

message 12: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2598 comments Mod
The Kindle price for Carbs & Cadavers has dropped to $1.99 so I just got it. For those with Nooks, B&N often does a price match.
Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1) by J.B. Stanley

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Dutton (jdutton) | 7 comments I really liked this book, more than I thought I would given the male point of view. I will definitely read the rest of the series!

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara Nell wrote: "The Kindle price for Carbs & Cadavers has dropped to $1.99 so I just got it. For those with Nooks, B&N often does a price match.
Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1) by J.B. Stanley"

That is good to know! I will have to see if the nook version's price went down.

message 15: by Rosalee (new)

Rosalee (Cyndilu) | 12 comments I liked the book,but not as much as some of you obviously did. I thought the characters were sort of "flat" and the focus was too much on the weight, not who they were as people. Some of the quirks were there, yes, but James was really the main character and I didn't know enough to 'connect' though I did think of him the next time I ate cheese puffs. With many of you saying the series is good, I will try another one!

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I just got this me out of the library this weekend and I am happy to see that so many of you are enjoying it! I will be starting it sometime this week.

message 17: by Peggy (last edited Jun 18, 2012 02:55PM) (new)

Peggy | 33 comments I finished this book last night. It was not one of my favorites, but it was enjoyable. I do not have a weight problem, but like everybody I do have my "fat spots". I could relate to the "Flab Five" (love the name) when it came to eating. You want to eat what you want, when you want, as much as you want! I did like that James always took care of his dad no matter how cranky his dad got. I will read the second one someday, but I have so many others waiting. Why oh why can't I stop buying books?

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim (craftier) | 6 comments I enjoyed this book - the camaraderie between the characters and their endless curiousity to solve a murder. Although I agree with Peggy, that I will read the next one in the series, but right now there are way too many others to read!

message 19: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 30 comments I enjoy the characters, and understand how you just want that extra treat(in my case chocolate) but, and I hate to be a grouch, but there is a reference to the headless horseman in Carbs and Cadavers Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1) by J.B. Stanley

as a character in Rip Van Winkle Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving

when it was actually in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Graphic Novel) by Washington Irving .

They do go hand in hand, so it isn't a big complain. Otherwise entertaining.

message 20: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Although it wasn't a favorite read of mine, I found it an enjoyable read. I agree with some that it felt a bit flat, but on the other hand I do think the series has possibilities.

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I am enjoying this so far, about 100 pages into it. I like that the main character is a librarian and I am enjoying the supper club group.

message 22: by jaxnsmom (new)

G wrote: "I enjoy the characters, and understand how you just want that extra treat(in my case chocolate) but, and I hate to be a grouch, but there is a reference to the headless horseman in Carbs and Cadave..."

Hope it wasn't James :) He should have caught the error, but he seems too insecure to risk offending anyone.

I'm only about 100 pages in. The characters do seem one dimensional, but I am enjoying the book. I relate a lot to James. I'm from VA, an introvert, and after my divorce I moved to a town where I didn't know anyone. I also have a big weight problem, and keep sabotaging my efforts to change my eating habits :( I love that James is in a small group helping each other, I think that's one of the reasons I like the book, the group becoming friends through a common goal.

After one of our other books, I had to chuckle at the book repairs. I might have to try the sandpaper one.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I finished this a couple of days ago and found that I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, although I agree with some of the issues already mentioned. For me, this is just the cozy genre in general. I enjoy them, but there just isn't a whole lot there, especially in regards to the mystery component and average Joes solving cases before trained law enforcement. BUT, I don't really care about that when I read a cozy because I know that is how it is going to pan out.

I like James. I also like that he is a librarian. His budding relationship with Lucy is sweet and I look forward to reading book two to see where things go from here.

I am currently losing weight (dropped 18 lbs and five inches around my middle in the past month!) so it was perfect timing for me to read about the Flab Five.

Going to add book two to my TBR.

message 24: by jaxnsmom (new)

Other than the part about losing 18 pounds (WOW, Congratulations Stephanie! How did you manage that? Hope not all because of stress!), My review would be the same as Stephanie's :) Although I'll add that it helped when Gillian's character toned down.

message 25: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 30 comments I mean this in the best possible way: This book was empty calories! Absolutely wonderful going down, but.....

I love real cozies.

message 26: by Tara (new)

Tara Stephanie wrote: "I finished this a couple of days ago and found that I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, although I agree with some of the issues already mentioned. For me, this is just the cozy genre in..."

Congrats on losing 18 pounds, Stephanie!

message 27: by ChrisGA (new)

ChrisGA | 48 comments just finished FIT TO DIE, the second book. Mystery centers around a fitness center the Flab Five join. Enjoyed it. Things were looking up for the Henry men. Dad was actually pleasant and James finally asked Lucy for a date.

message 28: by Tara (new)

Tara I finally got this one from the library... So it looks like I won't get to it in June. :(

message 29: by ChrisGA (last edited Jun 29, 2012 07:30PM) (new)

ChrisGA | 48 comments CHILI CON CORPSES--James asks himself flippantly whether he was a pig or a Neanderthal—the answer is yes. What a jerk he is in this one, and his father is cranky again too. Good thing the mystery was interesting. What Ruby did was so great.

message 30: by jaxnsmom (new)

Tara wrote: "I finally got this one from the library... So it looks like I won't get to it in June. :("

But we'll still look forward to what you have to say :)

message 31: by ChrisGA (new)

ChrisGA | 48 comments STIFFS AND SWINES #4--This is Gillian's story-better than the last one.James is not such a pig.

message 32: by ChrisGA (new)

ChrisGA | 48 comments tHE BATTERED BODY #5--

Much better. Diva of Dough is great villian. James is sweet and thoughtful again. Good twist to intro Eliot and Jane.

message 33: by ChrisGA (new)

ChrisGA | 48 comments BLACK BEANS AND VICE--best of the series. good ending if this is the last one.

message 34: by Denise (new)

Denise | 8 comments I thought the book was ok. I'm not sure if I would read anymore books in the series.

message 35: by Tara (new)

Tara I finally finished the first book. I liked it. I was able to figure out the mystery pretty early on.
I did love the characters though and the concept of the supper club for dieters.

message 36: by Nell (last edited Nov 01, 2012 04:57AM) (new)

Nell | 2598 comments Mod
I read Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1) by J.B. Stanley Carbs & Cadavers by JB Stanley as one of my Halloween reads. I liked it better than I thought I would. It is well written, has a good mix of characters and the mystery has just enough suspects and red herrings to keep you interested.
This is the first book I've read by this author though s/he writes under several pen names.