Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Ghost Hunter (What's a Ghoul to Do?) - Victoria Laurie

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (last edited May 31, 2012 08:52PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 2442 comments Mod
June 2012

What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie

This thread is for discussing all books in the Ghost Hunter series. If you're talking about a specific book, please include the cover and it's number in the series.

Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #2) by Victoria Laurie Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #3) by Victoria Laurie Ghouls Gone Wild (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #4) by Victoria Laurie Ghouls, Ghouls, Ghouls (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #5) by Victoria Laurie Ghoul Interrupted (Ghost Hunter #6) by Victoria Laurie

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Victoria Laurie has been a favorite of mine for years now. Tho I like her Psychic Eye series better, this series has some great characters and the ghost spin is right up my alley. It's a good read!

message 3: by Karen (last edited Apr 28, 2015 11:06AM) (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 409 comments Ditto on Laurie being a favorite.

In What's a Ghoul to Do?, Victoria Laurie introduces us to MJ Holliday and her business partner Gilley Gillespie. They're "ghostbusters." MJ and Gilley have been best friends since kindergarten. She was there for him when bullies showed up and he was there for her when her mother passed away.

In this edition, MJ and Gilley are hired by Dr. Steven Sable whose grandfather fell off a roof (or did he!) and died. This sets off the ghostbusting and the mystery. What really happened? Is the estate Steven inherited haunted and can they bust the ghost(s)? Will MJ relax--and will she relax with Steven??

I was immediately drawn in by MJ and Gilley and their friendship. MJ is a strong, independent woman; Gilley not as strong, but is certainly independent. Though he's scared of ghosts (and they tend to gravitate to him!), he's always there to back up MJ. He's the brains (computer genius/hacker, etc.) and she the brawn (and psychic) of the business. Other characters, including MJ's parrot Doc, are introduced, too.

I immediately liked MJ and Gilley, so the rest was easy. The mystery (and the ghosts), along with the tinge of romance, kept my attention throughout. Laurie's writing style is smooth and easy.I found the ghostbusting information interesting, though I don't know when I'd ever use it. ;o)

I'll keep reading books in the series.

message 4: by jaxnsmom (new)

I found the ghostbusting information interesting, though I don't know when I'd ever use it. ;o)

I love interesting info that I'll never use! I think my brain's full of trivia. And after reading The Zombie Combat Manual: A Guide to Fighting the Living Dead I'll know what to do when the zombies attack :)

message 5: by Karen (last edited Jun 02, 2012 06:14PM) (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 409 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I love interesting info that I'll never use! I think my brain's full of trivia. And after reading The Zombie Combat Manual: A Guide to Fighting the Living Dead I'll know what to do when the zombies attack :)"

Now that is funny! (I literally laughed out loud when I read it. Glad I wasn't drinking milk!)

message 6: by April (new)

April | 7 comments Finished the first book earlier this week. I liked the inventiveness of the series. I liked the ghost-busting back story and look forward to reading more books in the series.

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne Pichette | 146 comments I read the first book in the serie and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I will definetly read more of the series.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara I just started this one a few days ago and I really like M.J. and Gilley! It has been a fun read so far. I also may have to try out her other series.

message 9: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 4 comments I really like this series, I'm already on book 5. All the books in the series have been good. My favorites so far are Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #2) by Victoria Laurie and Ghouls Gone Wild (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #4) by Victoria Laurie .

message 10: by jaxnsmom (new)

I've read the first three in this series, and enjoyed each one. I like how the different settings keep the series fresh, and hope that continues. Poor Gilley is determined to help his best friend, while the whole idea of ghosts terrifies him. Can't figure out if he's the best supportive friend or needs a life of his own :)

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 409 comments I've read all in the Ghost Hunter series to date and have enjoyed each one. I actually like this series better than Laurie's Psychic Eye series (though I like that one, too) because of the differing locales and the action that's combined with a mystery. The series is kept fresh through the introduction of new ghosts and legends along with characters who grow and change. I have yet to be bored by any of the books.

The newest addition is scheduled for January 2013 and I can't wait. The latest, Ghoul Interrupted was, to me, one of the best in the series.

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I started this yesterday on a road trip home from a weekend with friends. I am enjoying the story so far and I like M.J. More to come!

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara I finished this one last night and I really liked the story. Definitely planning to read more in the series (especially because I was able to read the 1st chapter at the end of the book and the next book sounds like it will be interesting.
I thought the mystery was really layered and I loved all the characters in the town as well. I kind of wish we found out a bit more about Helen and her daughter. I thought their story sounded really interesting.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie Gianelli (katie094) I'm starting the first in the series and I want to like it so much but I'm having a hard time getting into it. I hope I'll be able to get past the slump and enjoy it soon

message 15: by Staci (new)

Staci McLaughlin (stacim) | 14 comments This was my first mystery dealing with ghost hunting, and I really enjoyed learning about the various techniques for finding and communicating with the ghosts. I was surprised about how much of the first half focused on the ghost hunting rather than the actual mystery, but the writing was entertaining enough that I didn't mind too much. Once MJ started digging into the grandfather's death, the momentum really picked up and the second half moved very quickly.

message 16: by jaxnsmom (new)

Staci wrote: "This was my first mystery dealing with ghost hunting, and I really enjoyed learning about the various techniques for finding and communicating with the ghosts. I was surprised about how much of the..."

I think since this is the first in a series, Laurie wanted to establish the characters and provide us with a good understanding of what they do, so the scene would be set for this and the other books in the series.

message 17: by Staci (new)

Staci McLaughlin (stacim) | 14 comments That's a good point. It can be tricky to fit all the background setup plus the main story in the first book of a series.

message 18: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 33 comments I read this one a few years ago. I love Victoria Laurie's Psychic Eye series and was disappointed with this book. Don't get me wrong I love ghost stories etc but I think maybe I was expecting the caliber of Psychic Eye... I have since read in reviews that this first one wasn't that good but the second one is much better... we'll see as I have it in my to read pile.

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise | 8 comments I really enjoyed reading this book. I espically liked M.J.'s African Gray parrot Doc. I can't wait to read the other books in the series.

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim (craftier) | 6 comments I enjoyed reading this book as well. A couple young adult books ideas I have pertain to ghosts so this was right up my alley! Have the second book on request through one of my local libraries.

message 21: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (fivesunflowers) | 15 comments I am about 100 pages in and loved the main character within the first five pages so that is a good sign lol ... I will be back to contribute more when I'm done, which should be soon!

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Dutton (jdutton) | 7 comments I don't normally read ghost books or books about supernatural events, but I am glad that I read this book. I enjoyed it and will continue with the rest of the series.

message 23: by Martha (new)

Martha Samsell (tmhoira2012) Not into ghost hunting but it was a good story. I wouldn't mind reading others in the series myself.

message 24: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (fivesunflowers) | 15 comments Just finished this book a little while ago, literally, less than an hour ago. I enjoyed this cozy read much more than the other one picked for this month (Carbs & Cadavers). This book seemed more down to earth and not so goody-goody as the other book lol ... I loved the fact M.J. is a medium and can communicate with spirits. She is witty, funny, smart, and beautiful (even though she doesn't seem to know that). Her sidekick, Gilley is an absolute doll :) I'll definitely read more in this series :)

message 25: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) I am about to start this book. I am very interested to see what this book is about. I have not read any of the past posts. Hope everyone liked it!!

message 26: by jaxnsmom (new)

I hope you both enjoy it.

Kristina - I usually wait to read comments on a book until after I've read it too. I don't want to be swayed by others' opinions, or learn anything beforehand about what's going on.

message 27: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) I really liked this book! I will continue the series, however my library only has books 1-4. So, we shall see if they are worth buying.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments I am enjoying the Ghost Hunter series and recently picked up the first in the Psychic Eye series (liked this one a lot too). Victoria Laurie is on my favorite cozy author list!

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie G | 2 comments I wasn't aware of this series until I found the book club. I enjoyed the first -- What's a Ghoul to Do? -- and will look forward to reading the others in the future.

message 30: by Lauren (last edited Apr 03, 2015 05:56AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Hope its OK that I'm resurrecting an older thread. I started listening to What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie and its fun. I really liked the fact that (view spoiler)

Love Doc too!

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 409 comments Lauren wrote: "I started listening to What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie and its fun."

I love this series. There's one awaiting me on the library hold shelf as I write this.

I don't usually listen to audio books... How is the reader? Is it someone good?

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) The narrator is is Eileen Stevens. She also narrates the first few books in Kate Carlisle's Bibliophile Mystery series and I really like her accents. She makes Steven sound very sexy.

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen (xkamx) | 409 comments Lauren wrote: "The narrator is is Eileen Stevens. She also narrates the first few books in Kate Carlisle's Bibliophile Mystery series and I really like her accents. She makes Steven sound very sexy."

Thank you! Some of the audio books I've heard have not been good. I wind up just reading myself. It sounds like Eileen Stevens is a reader to look for.

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm about halfway through What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie and although I really like M.J. and Gillie, the mystery is only starting to get going now. There are quite a few (view spoiler)

In terms of the romance, (view spoiler)

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Karen wrote: "Lauren wrote: "The narrator is is Eileen Stevens. She also narrates the first few books in Kate Carlisle's Bibliophile Mystery series and I really like her accents. She makes Steven sound very sexy..."

It's important to find a narrator that you like listening to. A bad one can ruin the book. Audiobooks are great for me, however, because they are the only way I can read 1st person POV.

message 36: by Sallee (new)

Sallee (terrysallee2attnet) I've read the whole series that has been published so far and quite enjoyed them, Gilley can sometimes be annoying and I like to shake him sometimes, but he is growing more mature and less flighty as the series moves on. It is series well worth reading.

message 37: by Lauren (last edited Apr 07, 2015 12:59AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I've finished What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie and enjoyed it overall although I did have a couple of issues with it.

The mystery picked up in the 2nd half and there are some good red herrings along the way. That said, the solution sort of came out of nowhere - (view spoiler)

There was a gaping plot hole with the (view spoiler)

The romance was OK. I don't really like the love interest and another thing that bugged me was that (view spoiler)