!The Young Adult Book Club! discussion

Debates > The Mortal Instruments Or Infernal Devices

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) We all probably heard or read Cassie Clare's Mortal Instruments and/or Infernal Devices. Which one do you like better and why?
The Mortal Instruments has lots of action, a modern setting, sarcasm with Jace, and the good Simon.
The Infernal Devices has steampuck action, a great hereoine, a cast of great charcters, and Jem and Will! :D

message 2: by Lucille (last edited Aug 16, 2012 07:59PM) (new)

Lucille (lucillep) | 855 comments If it's the character development, The Mortal Instruments no doubt wins. Jace's sarcasm and humor is the best. Will can't compare, but Jem does TID some justice in the character department...

As for the story, The Infernal Devices has a much more interesting plot, and I hope it stays that way. I got tired of TMI's plot after 4 books. (view spoiler)

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Donahue | 14 comments I don't know I think i prefer the infernal devices. i actually like will a lot better than jace just because of his whole tragic past and desperate love for tessa. then i personally love how the setting and time period in TID affects the book overall

message 4: by C (new)

C (shawolit) | 6 comments Infernal Devices. Steampunk? JEM? WILL?

YES, PLEASE.

message 5: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Arnold | 5 comments I love the Infernal Devices. Love all the characters much more than The Mortal Instruments.

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily | 13 comments I enjoy both book I don't think I can chose. I love all the characters Jace, Clary, Simon, Will, Tessa, and Jem. Cassandra Clare is really good at writing and the style is pretty awesome. I don't know if that is an answer or the answer you are looking for just want to tell my opinion. The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Device love them they rock love me some awesome books.

message 7: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) I love how the infernal devices has more layers and secrets than TMI, but I really grew to The Infernal Devices after reading Clockwork Prince I was Hooked! I love Cassie Clare :)

message 8: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) I'm not sure....
I loved mortal instruments until I read the recent book. It was all about clary and jace. Their romance is starting to get annoying. But I love Simon so much......
After reading the second infernal devices book, I started liking the series a ton more. I love Jem as well.

message 9: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (lucillep) | 855 comments Patrick wrote: "I love how the infernal devices has more layers and secrets than TMI, but I really grew to The Infernal Devices after reading Clockwork Prince I was Hooked! I love Cassie Clare :)"

I completely agree! Seems like there's no more mystery in TMI after City of Glass.

message 10: by Diana ❀ ☺ (new)

Diana ❀ ☺ | 25 comments They are BOTH AWESOME!!!!

message 11: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Lucille wrote: "Patrick wrote: "I love how the infernal devices has more layers and secrets than TMI, but I really grew to The Infernal Devices after reading Clockwork Prince I was Hooked! I love Cassie Clare :)"
..."

I agree! Cassie Clare decides to write Fallen Angels because it had plans to be a graphic novel. But yeah after CoG is was good but it's kinda going around in cicles. TID has more plot and layers.

message 12: by Rysa (new)

Rysa Walker (rysawalker) | 5 comments Infernal Devices, hands down. The characters are more fully developed, the settings are richer, and there's a very poignant love triangle. But the other YA reader in my house would disagree--he's a die-hard Mortal Instruments fan.

message 13: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Tuck Austin (kristituckaustin) | 7 comments Jyqa wrote: "Infernal Devices. Steampunk? JEM? WILL?

YES, PLEASE."

Amen!

message 14: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Tuck Austin (kristituckaustin) | 7 comments Rysa wrote: "Infernal Devices, hands down. The characters are more fully developed, the settings are richer, and there's a very poignant love triangle. But the other YA reader in my house would disagree--he's a..."

Rysa, I agree with you 100%.

What YA books have love triangles of that depth and that much love between all three people? (I'm seriously asking. This is not a rhetorical question.)

message 15: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Rysa wrote: "Infernal Devices, hands down. The characters are more fully developed, the settings are richer, and there's a very poignant love triangle. But the other YA reader in my house would disagree--he's a..."

I agree with the Infernal Devices!! There just something much more to it that's interesting then Mortal Instruments!

message 16: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (lucillep) | 855 comments Yeah. A lot of people still liked CoFA, but it's just meh to me.

After Valentine was defeated, TMI just kinda went downhill. Sebastian is not a good enough villain. It seems like now, the whole series is just focused on Clary and Jace's relationship, and not on the villain and/or the mysteries.

message 17: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) Yeah CoFA was just ok to me too. All it was about was clary and jace and a bunch of romance scenes. It was lacking the action scenes. I agree, Sebastian isn't very threatening, but then again, I didn't think valentine was that scary either.

message 18: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (lucillep) | 855 comments Valentine wasn't. But he was intelligent and he had a lot of allies and he's mysterious. Unlike Sebby.

message 19: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Tuck Austin (kristituckaustin) | 7 comments Great points about the focus on relationships later in the series.

CLOCKWORK PRINCE focused more on the relationships than CLOCKWORK ANGEL, but I only rarely felt we'd strayed too long from the larger plot.

message 20: by Chisom (last edited Feb 21, 2013 03:16PM) (new)

Chisom O The only reason whu i like TMI is cuase i read it first, so now im kinda hooked on it. bu COFA was really boring. Clary and Jace, Clary and Jace. im isck of it. I dont even like Clary. Shes stupid, rash and annoying. "Oh, I love Jace!" Yeah, we frickin get it. Clary is actually really helpless. If it werent for all her friends, she'd be dead by now. And i swear to God, Clary and Jace's realtionship is going to ruin everything. they think they're the only ones in the world. I get that they're in love, but come on. But yeah, i like both series. TMI has better characters (<3 Simon)but TID has a better plot.
PS i dont mean to sound like a hater. its just that Clary has been bothering me from the begining, and i just had to get that off my chest

message 21: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (lucillep) | 855 comments Yeah! I totally agree. Maybe CClare should've just focused on Simon and the other supporting characters. (view spoiler)

Right now, I just wanna know how it all ends. And Clare's going to write another Shadowhunter book called Lady Midnight. -__-

If she adds another book to TID (yes, Clockwork Princess is the last one, but you never know with CC), I'll never read a book of hers ever again.

message 22: by Chisom (new)

Chisom O oh god i wish CC would finish the series one at a time. And she's makin a new series called the Dark Artifacts, and im like NO! Finish the other series first!

message 23: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Chisom wrote: "oh god i wish CC would finish the series one at a time. And she's makin a new series called the Dark Artifacts, and im like NO! Finish the other series first!"

Yeah, I was thinking that too! But I really want to see how Dark Artifacts go :) Clary has to prove herself a little more in the next books in TMI

message 24: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) Yeah, I still don't clary...
But I'll read the dark artifacts but I can already tell they won't nearly be as good as TMI

message 25: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Elizabeth wrote: "Yeah, I still don't clary...
But I'll read the dark artifacts but I can already tell they won't nearly be as good as TMI"

But the best one is Infernal Devices! It just that there's more depth and complexity in this world than the one in TMI

But I mean the movie looks really good too for TMI! I really want to watch it!

message 26: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) I like the infernal devices, but I just still prefer tmi. I think the idea of the Victorian era doesn't appeal to me that much. I am excited to read clockwork princess though!!!
Yeah, the movie looks great!!! Except I still don't know if I like the guy who plays Simon...

message 27: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Elizabeth wrote: "I like the infernal devices, but I just still prefer tmi. I think the idea of the Victorian era doesn't appeal to me that much. I am excited to read clockwork princess though!!!
Yeah, the movie loo..."

I love the historical aspects of TID! I think I had to much of the New York setting. It's like that for most YA Books! But I can't wait to see where the series leads too!

message 28: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) Yeah, the history is interesting, but I read the mortal instruments first so I guess I just have a preference for them. I like the New York City setting, but maybe that's just because I love NYC.
Although, I definitely prefer Tessa over clary... I also think will and jace are too similar. Sure they're related, but they're like the same person

message 29: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine | 910 comments highly distressed. Does anyone have the translation for what Jem says on Page 287 in Clockwork Princess???? I'm dying over here from unsatisfied curiosity! Please help!