Paranormal and Horror Lovers discussion

General Book Talk & Questions > Quotes to be Repeated

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.M. (new)

L.M. Smith (LadyMuse82) | 176 comments I'm reading a book by a member of this group and encountered a quote that grabbed my attention with such depth that it inspired me to start this thread. A wise man once told me that being a writer who reads means frequently asking yourself 'why couldn't I have written that?'. Case in point:

"It was as if people were just waiting for the opportunity to embrace their own greatness. Hubris replaced humility, opportunity and dedication replaced destiny, and Americans became bloated on their own self-worship.". Quote from:
Sleep Stalkers by Jacki O'Dierno

What are some quotes or passages that have impressed you in literature?

message 2: by Rebecca, Group Creator (new)

Rebecca Nolan (rnolanauthor) | 396 comments Mod
“Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop.”
― Laurell K. Hamilton, The Laughing Corpse

“There are moments when one has to choose between living one's own life, fully, entirely, completely-or dragging out some false, shallow, degrading existence that the world in its hypocrisy demands.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

I will have to start writing the ones I find from some of the lesser known authors I love :D

TemperanceRiver “The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown”
― H.P. Lovecraft, Supernatural Horror in Literature
That one gives me chills.

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 94 comments I love that quote, TemperanceRiver. And thanks for starting this thread, L.M. I'll have to start posting some good ones as I find them while reading!

The Sounding by Carrie Salo

message 5: by Trinity, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Trinity Hanrahan (musesinspire) | 171 comments Mod
Without a doubt, the best quotes I have ever read have come from Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden Series! LOL

My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Dark-Hunter Universe; There Be Pirates, #1; Night Creature, #1.1; Kit and Olivia, #2; Sookie Stackhouse, #6.1; The Dresden Files #7.5) by P.N. Elrod
My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, et al

“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
Harry Dresden

Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher
Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

“In the action business, when you don't want to say you ran like a mouse, you call it 'taking cover.' It's more heroic.”
Harry Dresden

message 6: by Bob (new)

Bob | 23 comments “We lie best when we lie to ourselves.”
― Stephen King, It