Goodreads Ireland discussion

The Sisters Brothers
This topic is about The Sisters Brothers
Previous Monthly Reads > June Monthly Read Winner 2012: The Sisters Brothers

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the discussion thread for the June monthly read winner The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt.

I look forward to discussing this novel with you all.

Declan. :)

I-like-to-read (akakate) I've already read this and look forward to reading everyone's thoughts.

Anty Notosapoetro (antyh) | 10 comments Good choice. This book sounds interesting when the author talked about it in Pat Kenny's show few days ago.

message 4: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 217 comments okay, not my choice , but I will give it a go...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hopefully it will live up to its reputation. I'm currently wading my way through Ulysses and I'd love to jump into something a little more hell-for-leather.

message 6: by Roberta (last edited Jun 01, 2012 04:16PM) (new)

Roberta | 78 comments I couldn't get into it but a fellow book clubber loved it. And hell for leather was pretty much how she described it. May have to try again.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as she did. I hope everyone else enjoys it, too.

message 8: by Connieb (new) - added it

Connieb (otherwordly) | 24 comments Declan wrote: "Hopefully it will live up to its reputation. I'm currently wading my way through Ulysses and I'd love to jump into something a little more hell-for-leather."

hell for leather, lol.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I was trying to be polite to Ulysses. I meant not mind-numbingly boring.

message 10: by Connieb (new) - added it

Connieb (otherwordly) | 24 comments Declan wrote: "I was trying to be polite to Ulysses. I meant not mind-numbingly boring."
You've probably really had your fill of boring lately, what with Ulysses and The Waltz, huh?

The Hatfields and the McCoys is currently a mini-series over here and it's alot like The Sisters Brothers, pretty ruthless and shoot 'em up, lol. I'll start The Sisters Brothers in a week or so. Enjoy your read.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

The Hatfields and the McCoys is currently a mini-series over here and it's alot like The Sisters Brothers, pretty ruthless and shoot 'em up, lol. I'll start The Sisters Brothers in a week or so. Enjoy your read"

Would you believe I mentioned The Sisters Brothers to an American friend last night and the first thing she said was 'It sounds like the Hatfields and the McCoys'?

I've been looking forward to something more engrossing. If not fast-paced and eventful, then at least with a sense of foreboding.

message 12: by Connieb (new) - added it

Connieb (otherwordly) | 24 comments Declan wrote: "The Hatfields and the McCoys is currently a mini-series over here and it's alot like The Sisters Brothers, pretty ruthless and shoot 'em up, lol. I'll start The Sisters Brothers in a week or so. En..."

ha, the Hatfields and McCoys have quite the reputation here, apparently their fighting got to be quite fanatical. Well, maybe the Civil war caused lots of folks to behave so protectively.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Just added it to my to-read list.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I started this last night and so far I've really enjoyed it. I can easily relate to Eli Sister, and his relationship with his brother has intrigued me the most so far.

Eli's good nature, juxtaposed with his brother's ruthlessness and malevolence, has me glued to the book. I haven't been this invested in a character for a long time.

message 15: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments Declan wrote: "I started this last night and so far I've really enjoyed it. I can easily relate to Eli Sister, and his relationship with his brother has intrigued me the most so far.

Eli's good nature, juxtapos..."

Based on the reviews, I will try this one again.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm almost finished it as I type. I've really enjoyed this book. The whole novel is very much character driven, and any time a major event happens in the story I find myself either sympathetic towards the characters or satisfied with the outcomes. I was worried I might pick a turkey when I had to cast the deciding vote on this month's read, but I'm more than happy with the decision, now.

message 17: by Connieb (new) - added it

Connieb (otherwordly) | 24 comments Alright, I've been reluctant, but you've convinced me...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished last night. It wasn't the ending I was expecting but probably the kind of ending that the book needed. I could easily recommend this to friends.

I'll open a spoiler discussion, and I hope that some of you will join me.

message 19: by Aoibhínn (last edited Jun 19, 2012 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) I read this book back when it first nominated for the booker prize and I really enjoyed it. I don't normally read westerns but I was glad I picked this up. I think I read the book in a day and a half. I couldn't put it down.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Ellie wrote: "I read this book back when it first nominated for the booker prize and I really enjoyed it. I don't normally read westerns but I was glad I picked this up. I think I read the book in a day and a ha..."

Me too. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I've read quite a few Booker winners and short-listers, but I often feel very disappointed by them.

I couldn't stop reading either. Mostly because of Eli. I wanted a good end for him. Especially because of his affection for his horse. It was quite touching at times.

message 21: by Mo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mo | 81 comments Just starting tonight!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Enjoy, Mo. :)

message 23: by Mo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mo | 81 comments Ok, I just finished Part One and am finding this hysterically, wickedly funny! I'm loving the short chapters and find them to be like very short stories that could stand alone. Eli is one of the wryest narrators I've encountered in a while. I am laughing out loud and my husband keeps asking me what's going on.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I never actually laughed that much when I read it. I smiled at certain parts and chuckled to myself a couple of times, but I didn't really laugh at it. I'm surprised, in hindsight, as most people have mentioned how humorous they find it..

Katie Hanrahan (katiehan) | 23 comments Getting a late start on this month's book, but I'm enjoying it. Thanks for casting that deciding vote. This is one of the best books I've read thus far this summer.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Katie wrote: "Getting a late start on this month's book, but I'm enjoying it. Thanks for casting that deciding vote. This is one of the best books I've read thus far this summer."

I'm pretty pleased with it myself. When you're left with that kind of decision there's always a worry that it'll turn out to be a lemon.

Laura | 258 comments Not really my cup of tea although it was pretty funny at times.