SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Blood Bound (Unbound, #1)
This topic is about Blood Bound
Archive: 2012 Buddy Reads > July Buddy Read: Blood Bound by Rachel Vincent

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lis (last edited May 31, 2012 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lis | 3607 comments July Buddy Read planned to start July 8th: Open to all Rachel Vincent fans that haven't had a chance to start her Unbound series yet.

Bound by blood, condemned by fate

As a bloodtracker, Liv is extremely powerful. And in a world where power is a commodity that can get you killed, Liv's learnt to survive by her own rules.

Rule number one? Trust no one.

But when a friend's daughter goes missing, Liv is bound by a potent magical oath. She can't rest until the child is safe. And that means trusting her dangerous ex, Cam.

A sinister prophecy tells that she and Cam will be the death of each other, yet Liv's tired of being a slave to destiny. She's ready to play the forces controlling her world at their own game.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yay more buddy reads! This one looks like such an interesting premise, away from the vampires and werewolves :D

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1117 comments Everybody ready to start this tomorrow?

Komal | 82 comments I'll join you. I was planning on reading this anyways. Can't wait :)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Ooh lucky you reminded me because I nearly forgot about this one! I should be ready, if not the day after.

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1117 comments Awesome! Can't wait to start this! :D

message 7: by Lis (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lis | 3607 comments Still in too... Unfortunately i won't get to it til mon or tue, but will start this week.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Alright just about to pick this up! Glad we will have a few joining the discussion this time! :)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments So I'm about 13% in (just reached Chapter 5) and I like how badass Liv is. It's refreshing to see a main character who can fight her way through without using whiny words or her influence on men. Maybe it's the type of books I've been reading lately.

It was a bit strange around chapter 3 how the character perspective changed from Liv to Cam though without any warning. Took me a while to figure that out.

Chapter 4 spoiler

(view spoiler)

Komal | 82 comments I agree Jeann, I like the kind of herione Liv is. Badass and bold without being too overpowering. I'm not really liking Cam though. I can't pinpoint what it is exactly.

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Jul 09, 2012 04:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments I just reached Chapter Eleven and the question presented above was answered, which is interesting. (view spoiler)

Quite a lot of the book so far clearly depicts the significance of marks, your loyalty to factions, and how to track people. I have a feeling there's going to be a big build up. It seems like the story arc focuses itself around a big mystery.

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Lis (last edited Jul 10, 2012 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lis | 3607 comments Slowly catching up... Starting Ch 6. So far I'm liking that it has both POVs and waiting to see what Liv's mysteries are, so I'm not spoiler peeking yet.

How far behind am I?

message 13: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Jul 10, 2012 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Well I just reached Chapter 13...going through a few chapters a day. I think I'm ahead of everyone though.

message 14: by Lis (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lis | 3607 comments Good, not too far behind. It took a couple of tries to get into it, but now it's getting more interesting and moving along.

message 15: by Komal (last edited Jul 10, 2012 07:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Komal | 82 comments I just started chapter 12. Jeann is a super fast reader, I'm just trying to keep up ;)

It's starting to lag for me a bit. But I really like the concept and the world. There are so many different layers to world-from Binders to Trackers. I also like the similarities to mafia.

(view spoiler)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Ohhh maybe I should slow down a bit! :) glad to see you're not too far behind though. I do think it's a little slow paced, most of it is developing the relationship and remembering past between Cam and Liv, as well as slowly building upon the world of Binders and Trackers.

Thanks for that insight Komal, (view spoiler)

Komal | 82 comments No Jeann don't slow down, catching up with you keeps me going :) I'm on chapter 16 and things are starting to fall into place and it's getting really exciting.

(view spoiler)

Spoilers up to chapter 16: (view spoiler)

message 18: by Lis (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lis | 3607 comments At chp 14, so I'm catching up... It seems to be picking up a little. I still want to know what Anne is up to.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Wow I don't read for a night and you've already taken over - I'll catch up tonight! Glad to see that it's starting to get exciting, it's kind of slow paced at the start.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Ok I just reached Chapter 22. Things are starting to get interesting.

(view spoiler)

I think it's dragging a bit still, the way the story unfolds is kind of slow. You get lots of insight into Cam and Olivia and their past relationships, but I kind of wish the story would move a long faster. I've reached about 65% of the way and nothing much has really happened - it's not too action-packed at this stage.

Komal | 82 comments I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this book is moving slowly. So much time was spent on hiding what happened six years ago, and when it was finally revealed, it sort of felt like a letdown.

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Jul 12, 2012 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yeah glad you agree Komal, wondering whether it was just me!

(view spoiler)

Just reached Chapter 27 and things are getting more exciting.

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Lis (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lis | 3607 comments I agree Komal... Six year hiatus for what real reason? Motive turned out flimsy after the hype.

Go Jeann! I didn't make much of dent at lunch today at Chp 19.

message 24: by Lis (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lis | 3607 comments On the final stretch, 3 chapters to go but work is calling... Anyone interested in moving on to the next one?

Komal | 82 comments Just finished the book and the ending was odd. Let me know what you guys thought of it.

(view spoiler)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Agh, I've been sitting on this for a day or so, not much to go. I'll let you know what I think once I finish. Lis, I'll see how I feel when I finish the book!

message 27: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Jul 13, 2012 05:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments OK I just finished, I think the final rating I would give it is 3.5. When I look back at the book, a lot of it was world-building, relationship building, and reflecting on the past.

There's an interesting idea here to do with people with special abilities and binders, but really I found there could have been much more action involved. When I look back at the nearly 500 pages, the bulk of the story is pretty much Cam and Liv talking to each other and reflecting and reminiscing and that's it. There were about 2 action scenes (Liv getting shot and the end bit) if I recall correctly.

(view spoiler)

Thoughts aside, I'll be interested in reading the next one too. Not sure when, last week of August might be good or maybe later.

Here's my review here.

message 28: by Komal (last edited Jul 13, 2012 07:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Komal | 82 comments My thoughts exactly. I felt the same way after finishing the book. Loved the premise of being bound and having Skills, but a huge chunk of the book was a bunch of rambling on the author's part.

I'm in for the next book Lis. From the summary, it seems like this time around were going to get more of Towers and we'll actually get to see the main relationship (between Kori and Ian, I think it is) build.

message 29: by Lis (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lis | 3607 comments I agree. I think there was a lot of potential but (view spoiler)

I still want to see where this new series is going. It wasn't bad, just could have been condensed into fewer pages. Hopefully it's the "new series" hurdle and since all the world building is in place, the focus will be on the next set of characters. Komal can you wait until Jeann can join us in August? Or do you want to start sooner?

Komal | 82 comments August sounds perfect Lis.

message 31: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Jul 14, 2012 02:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Cool, did you want to make the thread again Lis? I'm good starting August 27th.

Wow it looks like the sequel has Kori as the main character!

message 32: by Lis (last edited Jul 15, 2012 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shadow Bound (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachel Vincent (other topics)