♥Books, Coffee, Music & Ireland♥ discussion

♥♥Jane Austen♥♥ > Where to start?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 92 comments I'm new to Austen, so I really don't know exactly where to start. I'm open to any recommendations. :)

message 2: by Nicole D. (last edited May 31, 2012 07:32PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 1278 comments I would read Pride and Prejudice first.It is her best novel IMO.

message 3: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Caity | 4434 comments Mod
Yes: that one and then I also recommend Persuasion and Northanger. :)
I still need to read Emma and S&S

message 4: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 2071 comments Pride & Prejudice was my first Austen book. It's great! :)

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah (princessleia) | 203 comments Northanger Abbey and Persuasion are smaller so I recommend those as your first venture in.

message 6: by Piza Riza (new)

Piza Riza  | 5 comments Pride and Prejudice! you should really read it.
Persuassion and Emma are also good.

message 7: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

Sophie | 2550 comments Mod
I would say P&P as that is one shows her humour and everything typical of Jane Austen. I wouldn't start with the long ones Emma and Mansfield Park (though both worth reading once your into it!!! Just saying don't start with them ;))
Northanger Abbey is an easy read as long as you realise that JA is impersonating the gothic style of writing (which is really funny to read) and so she doesn't normally write like that.
Persuasion I wouldn't say first as though it is brilliant , it is a little more serious as it is about a love lost. Again worth reading sometime but not first.
Sense and Sensibility is a great read, but still I would say P&P over this one. S&S was her first but I think the humour and irony typical of JA is shown more in P&P. Again - S&S sometime. S&S is almost like P&P in that it is about what happens if , something dreaded in P&P, happens.

So overall P&P :)
I'd be happy to talk to you more and recommend each individually. And same with the wonderful adaptations. Just message me :)

message 8: by Megan (last edited Jun 06, 2012 07:29AM) (new)

Megan | 92 comments I've heard so many good reviews about Pride & Prejudice. So, I'll start there and get to reading it (hopefully) sometime this summer. Thank you, everyone, for your input! :)

message 9: by Caity, that crazy moderator (new)

Caity | 4434 comments Mod
yes that sounds awesome! :D

message 10: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 2071 comments Rainy wrote: "I've heard so many good reviews about Pride & Prejudice. So, I'll start there and get to reading it (hopefully) sometime this summer. Thank you, everyone, for your input! :)"

Hope you enjoy it! :)