Read by Theme discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What We're Reading > June 2012: Bird on Cover

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Dec 28, 2013 03:38PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Polling for June's theme has ended, and the winner is "Bird on Cover"! That means it's time to choose a book for you to read this month; if you're going to comply with the theme, you can tell us what you've chosen here, and remember to link to the book so others won't have to hunt for it if they want to check it out.

If you want to discuss the book with others who have chosen it, remember to create a new thread and attach the book to it!

Can't think of a book with a bird on the cover and don't like the sound of any of the books the other members are reading? This Listopia list might be able to help!

If you simply can't stand the thought of reading a book with a bird on the cover, head on over to the Theme Rebels folder and tell us about what you're reading instead.

And don't forget to vote on July's theme.

message 2: by Candace (new)

Candace | 59 comments I've decided to read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie for this month's theme.

message 3: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Jun 22, 2012 03:17PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments At the moment, I haven't made a choice; I would have liked to read The Hunger Games for this theme, but it looks like the library's waiting list is too long to make that a possibility.

I'll keep The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie in mind for this month; it's on my to-read list, and I'm not sure I own anything that qualifies.

message 4: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Jun 22, 2012 03:17PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments I think I've made my choice; after browsing my "To Read Because I Own" shelf for a while, it occurred to me that a while back, I bought half the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series for a few cents at the library, so I think I'll read The Capture by Kathryn Lasky this month. I seem to recall enjoying her contributions to the Royal Diaries series, so hopefully I'll enjoy this one, too, and won't find it too terribly childish.

Caren ~ the misfit geek (caren41) I think I will choose The Bird Catcher. I just discovered it today on the list you linked to Amara, so thank you. It looks like a good book.

message 6: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments I just discovered it today on the list you linked to Amara, so thank you.

Great! Glad someone found it useful! :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 23, 2012 04:30AM) (new)

Thank you for the list; I have chosen An Instance of the Fingerpostby Iain Pears as I really enjoyed Stone's Fall

message 8: by Cate (last edited Jun 10, 2012 03:39PM) (new)

Cate Hello. I've just joined & introduced myself. I'm a bit new to all this. I've got to go & pick a bird covered book but if anyone was looking for one, I read a book once by Dan Koeppel (not sure if that's the correct spelling) called "To See Every Bird on Earth". It is really the story of a father/son relationship told thru the context of Dan's father's obsession with bird watching. It sounds odd, I know, but it's a great read. So is Sean Dooleys "The Big Twitch" - although it to is about bird watching, I can't guarantee it has a bird on the cover. I bought them for my own birdwatching Dad years ago.

To See Every Bird on Earth: A Father, a Son, and a Lifelong Obsession
Big Twitch: One Man, One Continent, a Race Against Time-A True Story about Birdwatching

message 9: by Cate (new)

Cate Jennie wrote: "Thank you for the list; I have chosen 'An Instance of the Fingerpost' by Iain Pears as I really enjoyed 'Stones Fall'"

That's a great book!!

message 10: by Cate (last edited Jun 10, 2012 03:39PM) (new)

Cate I have chosen - from the bookshalf - The Broken Shore by Peter Temple. He's an Australian crime writer. My partner has all his books. Knew I'd find a bird on a cover somewhere in this house!! Here goes.

The Broken Shore

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy (terzahcain) | 40 comments I'm going to check out The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I'm currently 16 of 16 on the hold list at Seattle Public Libraries. I don't know. It looks really good from the teaser pages ... I may have to break down and go buy it.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy (terzahcain) | 40 comments Then again, I just bought The Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession for my partner and ... it's just sitting there on the shelf ... so sad. I could read that one too. Anyone read either of these and can recommend one over the other?

message 13: by Cate (new)

Cate I'd go with "The Big Year". Having read about the obsessive big lister bird watchers & the extremes they go to get sightings & the politics of whether a sighing is a sighting - well, I reckon that sounds like a good read.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy (terzahcain) | 40 comments Thanks Cate. I find it really difficult to pick a book at first so I'll probably read a little of both to begin with and then go with what grabs me the most. Working on finishing the book I was reading when I joined this group yesterday before getting started. Only thing that might get in the way of "The Big Year" is that I've seen the movie and tend to skip things when that happens. Hmph! How's "Broken Shore" going?

message 15: by Cate (new)

Cate got to get onto that one. just had to finish nicci French and see who did it. so will jump into mine tonight.

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 14 comments I decided to be a theme rebel this month. :)
I read Every Day a Friday: How to Be Happier 7 Days a Week by Joel Osteen.
I'm going to write a short review in the Theme Rebel section.

message 17: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments I look forward to reading it, Sandy. :)

I'm a bit ashamed to say I've fallen behind on both my reading and my writing this month. I've got a lot of books (and the corresponding reviews) to catch up on, and I'm about 15k words behind on Camp NaNo. Unfortunately for my books, NaNo's going to have to take precedent. But I'll definitely get my "Bird Cover" done before the end of the month; it's relatively short--probably only 150-300 pages--so it should only take two or three hours.

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 13 comments Hello everyone, I just joined this group and I can't wait to get started. I love the fact that we get to choose our own titles based on a theme. I know it's late in the month, but the book I've chosen to read is Other People's Children: A Novelby Joanna Trollope. Talk to ya soon!

message 19: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Nice to meet you, Cindy, and I'm thrilled you like the idea behind the group. ;)

(And it is getting pretty late in the month, isn't it? I still haven't started reading mine--I've been chipping away at House of Leaves for a while now, which is taking a lot longer to get through than I expected!)

message 20: by Nafeesa (new)

Nafeesa | 5 comments i may have to speed read hunger games and then get started on mockingjay

message 21: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Amy wrote: "I'm going to check out The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I'm currently 16 of 16 on the hold list at Seattle Public Libraries. I don't know. It looks really good from the teaser pages ... I may have to..."

did you read this in the end, Amy? I really enjoyed this book when I read it a few years ago.

message 22: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments With the end of June, this thread is now closed. July's "What We're Reading" thread can be found here.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.