Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone question

Which book or series do you love more than Harry Potter?
Oderah Oderah May 31, 2012 06:04PM
The famous Harry Potter books have been made into an awesome series of movies. And almost everybody loves the books too. But is there any book or series that you love MORE than Harry Potter?
For me personally it's a bit hard to decide. Maybe, just maybe I would choose Gaurdians of Ga'hoole as my favourite series. But, what about you?

I agree with Teri. For me, each book was amazing. Harry Potter books seemed to get better and the storyline more deep and epic. There are books (like the Mortal Instruments) that come really close but cannot seem to reach the same level of awesome that Harry Potter is.

Harry Potter is always going to be my favorite series, but Divergent is up there with it.

The Earthsea cycle. Le Guin impressed me with her vivid world and awesome characters.

Depends on the Age bracket and tone do you want to read?
For me, The Ender's series by Orson Scott card is one of the best series out there. Books 1 and 2 (Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead) are among the best books I have read ever and books 3 and four are great.
For something less serious and all about fun, the Percy Jackson books, and the other series written by the author are great on a purely fun level.
My favorite author though has to be Jim Butcher. 2 strong series. An urban fantasy series targeted for young Adults, still going after 14 books in The Dresden Files. And my personal favorite The Codex of Alera. 6 books strong of a wonderful fantasy world with elemental magic.

The Bartimaeus trilogy.

My favorite series of all time is "The Lord of the Rings" and Tolkien in my favorite author by a long shot. I don't think I shall ever find another author whose writings will come close to being as enjoyed by me as his. The "Harry Potter" series is definitely in my top 5 list of series though.

The only series I have ever read that can even compete with Harry Potter is the Ender Saga by Orson Scott Card. I can't decide which of the two I like better. I agree with many other people that the Harry Potter series has no bad book in it - I could consider any of the 7 books the best book I have ever read - and the only books that are also in contention are Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead (both from the Ender Saga) and The Alchemist (which isn't in a series).

Lord of the Rings!!!! and The Hobbit!

My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird, but my favorite series will always be Harry Potter.

No I feel like Potter is superior to other stories I've read. Granted it can't beat the Classics as I'm still a huge Jane Austen fan, but as far as series goes this one is tops ;)

deleted member Jun 10, 2012 10:55AM   0 votes
maybe the hunger games but nithing comes close to harry potter

Erg...
in order?

Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
The Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins

:)

LOVE Harry though...

Abbie (last edited Jun 09, 2012 02:13PM ) Jun 09, 2012 02:12PM   0 votes
So many series are better than H.P. despite their enjoyability factor and success. I read them in my 20s and enjoyed them, although the enjoyment dwindled massively by book 7, when I felt they got a bit silly.

The Hunger Games were highly recommended to me by a student of mine, but I haven't read them yet.

If you are a fan of HP and into the Twilight/Witch/Vampire trend too, then I cannot recommend Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Liani Taylor more highly. It is what Stephanie Meyer should have written - it's wonderful!

So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1) by Diane Duane

The Young Wizards series, definitely. I've always preferred its way of wizardry than HP's. These books have been my favorite series every since I read one.

I enjoyed the Harry Potter books quite a lot. Other series I also enjoyed would be "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman, "The Lord of the Rings" by JRR Tolkien, "The Black Magician" by Trudi Canavan (mostly because of book 3), "The Night Angel" by Brent Weeks and Jacqueline Carey's "Kushiel" series.
I couldn't say if I enjoyed them more than the Harry Potter books. They are all different and great in their own way.

Oh, and Percy Jackson.

I don't know, maybe Series of Unfortunate Events?

HARRY POTTER IS THE BEST SERIES because they are a wonderful series of books. i love the way JK Rowling creates a magical world full of mythical creatures and a school of magic.

Lord of The Rings & The Hobbit, The Once and Future King, Animal Farm, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Earthsea, and probably more.

deleted member Jun 02, 2012 03:12PM   0 votes
I have a lot, I really like the Harry Potter series but I don't think the books were better than the movies, love the movies :)

I love the Gone Series and the goddess test series :) and looking for alaska by john green

I honestly think the Harry Potter series is hard to beat, but up there with it, I really liked The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, and what is written of the Divergent series.

I love your suggestions Irene! Thank you! I'm looking for another series to get lost in. I loved Anne of Green Gables too. Twilight was a wonderful indulgence for me... now to find something new!

Obviously I am not going to say anything is better than Harry Potter but some other series I like are His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins, The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan.

maximum ride and the mortal instruments

Series of Unfortunate Events

I'm sorry, but there are no other books that can compare to the Harry Potter series for me.

Maximum Ride is pretty close, but I still haven't really found anything that matches Harry Potter. I mean, all 7 books are awesome in their own right. None of the series I've read have that distinction. There's always one or two duds. The Twilight series books are all good, but as a series overall, Harry Potter still beats it.

I love lots of series, but nothing, absolutely nothing, will or is better than Harry Potter for me. The magic never ends

Percy Jackson and Vampire Academy

Harry Potter is my favorite but Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is a very close second.

Hp is amazing but i enjoy reading vampire academy than hp

Twilight saga, It's my first fave series the second is the Kane chronicles and the third is Avalon web of magic and Harry potter is the fourth.

Nearly every book or series I've read has been better than Harry Potter.

Paige Thank you! It seems to me that everyone likes harry potter
Jul 08, 2012 02:25PM

The Hunger Games, I must say, it's my life right now.

maximum ride has a special place in my heart. It got me reading. Then Infernal Devices. Then Potter. Although Potter is obviously the superior series

There isn't a book that really compares, but Maze Runner came close

I like twilight saga series and books like; Princess, Daughters of arabia

Maximum Ride
Mortal Instruments and
SWEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better than HP....well I'm not sure but The Mercer Legacy series is getting some great reviews. I'm hosting a give away of A History Renewed, the sequel to A Marked Past. Read some sample chapters here on GRs and sign up to win!!!

A History Renewed

A Marked Past

Leslie Deaton

A Marked Past (The Mercer Legacy, #1) by Leslie Deaton
A History Renewed (The Mercer Legacy, #2) by Leslie Deaton

Almost all of the books I've EVER read were better than the Harry Potter series. My favorites were Ender's Game, Dear John, Firefly Lane, Anne of Green Gables, When you Reach Me, The Lies of Locke Lamora, The Cider House Rules, and Speaker for the Dead. Really. I wonder if people actually read some of these books, would their opinions change about Harry Potter being the best book ever? I think that harry potter is sort of childish, and I'm only 12 years old.
Of course the Hunger Games is not on my list because I think it was badly written.

Michaela Oh, darn, I forgot about Ender's Game lol
Jul 07, 2012 07:39AM

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (other topics)
A History Renewed (other topics)
A Marked Past (other topics)
So You Want to Be a Wizard (other topics)
Ender's Game (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Leslie Deaton (other topics)
Orson Scott Card (other topics)