2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2012 > Need a Book Recommendation? Post Here!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments This is a good idea!

message 2: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Anyone have a good recommendation for this one from the I Spy challenge?

4 Seasons: spring, summer, fall, autumn, winter

I'm thinking about this one but wanted to see what else was out there: The Winter Sea

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I'm stuck for that one too, Kara! I was thinking of Winter's Bone but I'm not sure yet.

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Oh, no wait, I've got that one done already (or I should!). I read Absent In The Spring earlier this year. It was okay. I'll recommend it, but it certainly isn't amazing... haha.

message 5: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I´ve thought about Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

message 6: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments The Summer Book if you haven't read it yet. Short and good.
Also Daniel Abraham's Long Prize Quartet, starting with A Shadow in Summer and then marching through the seasons - if you like epic fantasy, that is ;).

message 7: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Thank you, all! I think I"m going to go for The Summer Book just because it double dips for the Around the World challenge.

message 8: by Danielle (last edited Jun 21, 2012 12:24PM) (new)

Danielle (dmansell) | 135 comments Hey Everyone,

I need a coming of age/loss of innocence book for my July string theory challenge. My favourite coming of age book so far has been Boy's Life Robert R. McCammon. If you have not read this yet you must drop everything and go get it now!! I mean it - it's that good. My college english teacher will forever have a place in my heart for making me read this book because I probably would never have read it otherwise.

Anyways, I digress. I've read It, Boy's Life (obviously), Summer of Night, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and the short story Stand by Me was based on (I can't remember the title) oh and Swan Song which I think would fall into that category as well. I'd rather have a book written for adults then a Young Adult book as I'm kinda burnt out on them right now.

Any help would be really appreciated!!

message 9: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Non-YA Coming of Age Books I enjoyed:

White Oleander. Beautiful prose, tragic story--about the relationship between a girl, her various foster parents, and her mother.
The Bell Jar. More beautiful prose, more tragedy. Plath herself had deep psychological issues, and those are reflected here.
The Catcher in the Rye.. For some reason that I never quite understood, often touted as The Bell Jar's male counterpart.
Jane Eyre. A classic but long.

message 10: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Danielle, I forgot one: The Cheese Monkeys

It's one of my favorites, but it's definitely not for everyone. It's quirky but has its very dark moments.

message 11: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (dmansell) | 135 comments Kara wrote: "Non-YA Coming of Age Books I enjoyed:

White Oleander. Beautiful prose, tragic story--about the relationship between a girl, her various foster parents, and her mother.
The Bell Jar. More beautiful..."

Thanks Kara. I have Jane Eyre and have been meaning to read it for ages. I'll probably go with that one.

message 12: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments Is there any book that starts with the letter X?? I don´t want to read xmen.

message 13: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments There's Xenocide which is the third of Orson Scott Card's Ender books (but it probably wouldn't make much sense unless you read the other two).

message 14: by Lilac (last edited Aug 11, 2012 12:30PM) (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments There's XVI which is a very... weird... young adult dystopia. I'm not sure whether or not I'd recommend it but it's an option at least.

message 15: by Barb (new)

Barb I read a non-fiction book about XHTML, coding language for websites LOL Although I've only puttered around with it, it's a hobby of mine :)

message 16: by Lilac (last edited Aug 14, 2012 03:29AM) (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments Does anyone know a good book that starts with the letter Z?

message 17: by Barb (new)

Barb I really enjoyed Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston . I found it in the Juv dept. at my library, but it was a fun read. It was like reading a 300-page Dr. Seuss book! The whole thing is set in rhyme, and the places and characters all sound like what I call Seuss-isms.

message 18: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I can't give it a completely glowing endorsement, but this was pretty entertaining: The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead