Literary Exploration discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Book-Club Books > Magical Realism

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Any suggestions for Magical Realism books and why?

I think the much talked about The Snow Child would be one of the books to vote on.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim Might be able to get some ideas from here - http://www.goodreads.com/genres/magic...

I think 1Q84 might be a little long for a group read.

Here's a better list - http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/14...

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Oh and I'll nominate The Master and Margarita.

message 4: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

1Q84 for everyone!!! except its too long

message 5: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Kim wrote: "Oh and I'll nominate The Master and Margarita."

Nice choice

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (zeldas) | 57 comments The wThe Witch Of Portobello or many of Joanne Harris' novels

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 107 comments Isabel Allende's books are stories I've always enjoyed- The House of Spirits or Daughter of Fortune. But I've been looking for an excuse to read The Snow Child so would gladly read that too!

message 8: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

but you need to answer the 'Why?' question so we can pick it

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim Oh. Well it's been on my to-read shelf for some time and keep hearing nothing but good about it. It's regarded as one of the best novels of the 20th century and a masterpiece of Russian literature.

message 10: by Parsa (new)

Parsa | 68 comments I would vote for Midnight's Children. I have been meaning to read it for sometime and Rushdie is banned and hence, intriguing. Also, he's an Indian subcontinent writer, we dont usually read those in the group here.

message 11: by Parsa (new)

Parsa | 68 comments Victoria wrote: "Isabel Allende's books are stories I've always enjoyed- The House of Spirits or Daughter of Fortune. But I've been looking for an excuse to read The Snow Child so would gladly read that too!"

I have been thinking of reading The snow Child too and never coming around to it. This would be a hard poll to vote on :)

message 12: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

good call

message 13: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (leeees) How about The Tiger's Wife? I don't know what it is about, but I saw it included on the list and many people have raved about it so I'm looking for an excuse to buy it!

message 15: by Booksy (last edited Jun 01, 2012 06:59AM) (new)

Booksy | 96 comments I'd like to nominate the following ones:

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Reason: this is a very subtle and at the same time a truly mad magic realism novel I've read, I loved it so much it will be a great pleasure to revisit it for our discussion

Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
Reason: Calvino is a magical writer with such a nuanced prose, will be a delight to read this novel and to discuss it

Midnight's Children by Rushdie
Reason: for the same reasons as Paras has given

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
Reason: Fforde is one of my favourite lit fantasy authors with his amazing Thursday Next series, I've got this book waiting on the shelf for me to read and I can't wait to venture into another series that I am sure will be equally delectable)

message 16: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Can you narrow it down to one

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) On my TBR there I see The Angel's Game byCarlos Ruiz Zafón. It is the sequel to The Shadow of the Wind, so I don't know if it is okay to nominate it...
We already have a nice selection!

message 18: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Iselin wrote: "On my TBR there I see The Angel's Game byCarlos Ruiz Zafón. It is the sequel to The Shadow of the Wind, so I don't know if it is okay to nominate it...
We already have a nice selection!"

I'd like to read that one but I think as it's a sequel we better avoid it as some people may not of read The Shadow of the Wind

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (leeees) Michael wrote: "Iselin wrote: "On my TBR there I see The Angel's Game byCarlos Ruiz Zafón. It is the sequel to The Shadow of the Wind, so I don't know if it is okay to nominate it...
We already have a nice selecti..."

I read both of them and they really aren't connected. I LOVED
The Shadow of the Wind and wasn't crazy about The Angel's Game

message 20: by Jayme (new)

Jayme How aboutTouch? I've read both The Snow Child and Touch and liked Touch better.

message 21: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nantown) | 46 comments Lisa, I also preferred The Shadow of the Wind

message 22: by Kat (last edited Jun 02, 2012 09:30AM) (new)

Kat (alley_kat) | 1 comments How about Going Postal by Terry Pratchett? Although it's part of the Discworld series, it can stand on its own without reading the previous books. I consider it to be a brilliant and hilarious story of the foundation of the postal system, not unlike our own, but on a flat, disc-like world that is carried through space on the backs of four enormous elephants, which stand on a giant turtle. There are wizards, dragons, golems, and magic galore!

message 23: by Regan (new)

Regan | 35 comments I recently read Midnight's Children and really liked it, surprising since I don't generally like magical realism. But it is very long. I'm not sure if you like to keep things shorter here.

I'd like to nominate Chocolat by Joanne Harris. It has charming hints of magic through food (like Laura Esquivel's seminal Like Water for Chocolate) as well as moments where people feel as if others are reading their innermost thoughts. These elements help to tell the story and build characters, but like some books that really verge into Fantasy, they are not the story itself. There's lots of interesting conflict with morals, prejudice, old traditions, etc.

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim I wouldn't call any Discworld book magical realism. They're pure fantasy.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (leeees) Regan wrote: "I recently read Midnight's Children and really liked it, surprising since I don't generally like magical realism. But it is very long. I'm not sure if you like to keep things shorter here.

I'd li..."

I was thinking about
Like Water for Chocolate but wanted to suggest something I hadn't read yet but that was a unique type of story and I enjoyed it... mostly. I loved the movie of Chocolat so I wouldn't mind reading the book...

message 26: by Regan (new)

Regan | 35 comments Kim wrote: "I wouldn't call any Discworld book magical realism. They're pure fantasy."

Much as I love Jasper Fforde and would love to read Shades of Grey, I feel the same way about that book. I think it's based on a fantasy world, and not firmly rooted enough in reality for it to be magical realism.

message 27: by Booksy (new)

Booksy | 96 comments I agree, will have to take Jasper Fforde's "Shades of Grey" back for the purpose of the true Magic Realism (exude the pun) discussion.

So, it will have to be Midnight's Children by Rushdie. I just NEED to read this book and discuss it :-)

message 28: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

I think we have enough options here so I will close it off there.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.