Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > July Read Nominations: Summer Blockbuster Movielike Book

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Jun 08, 2012 04:34PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4667 comments Mod
For July, I thought we'd do a book discussion centered around the theme of the Summer Movie Season. So think of a novel that you could see as a Hollywood summer movie blockbuster. It can be historical, futuristic, science fiction, fantasy, so long as it has lots of action and adventure.

The poll will go up on June 10th. Have at it!

Please click on add book/author and post your selection as a link so it doesn't get missed when I create the poll. Thanks!

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Hmm...what if they made a movie, but we think it could have been done better and a remake needs to happen?

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4667 comments Mod
You can nominate something that's already been made into a movie, so long as we haven't already done it as group read.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I'm nominating The Cleaner by Brett Battles. Kind of sounds like a Bourne-type scenario.

message 5: by Larry (new)

Larry Seeley (lfseeley) | 82 comments I love Alan Furst novels.

message 6: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1962 comments Mod
I think I will nominate Vertical Run by Joseph R. Garber. Sounds a little bit like the Die Hard movies with Bruce Willis.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Larry are you trying to nominate an Alan Furst book? Can you post a link to one you want to read that is either a standalone or the first in a series? Thanks.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
For lots of action, explosions, fights and so on I think Monster Hunter International is an obvious choice. A lot of us have read it, but I didn't see it as a prior choice here. It would make a great block-buster movie, if it was done right.

message 9: by Eileen (new)

Eileen That's a good choice, Mike. Yes..indeed, it would make a great movie.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I am one of the few of us who haven't read MHI, but I want to read it soon.

message 11: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1962 comments Mod
Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I am one of the few of us who haven't read MHI, but I want to read it soon."

I haven't read it yet either...good suggestion!

message 12: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Yep...hmm... There are too many in my head... How about some good old fashioned Robert Ludlum? The Sigma Protocol and The Hades Factor?

(Okay, one is Ludlum, the other one is Gayle Lynds written under Ludlum's name.)

Yes some authors go on to become a franchise.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I pulled out my copy of The Bourne Identity to read soon. Turns out it's one of my favorite author's books. And I love the series she wrote inspired by it.

message 15: by Larry (new)

Larry Seeley (lfseeley) | 82 comments I think my favorite is Red Gold. If this is a way to nominate, then I hereby do so.Thanks

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Larry, click on add book/author, and it will allow you to post the book as a link. I'm asking members to do so, to clarify which books are being nominated. Thanks.

message 17: by Larry (new)

Larry Seeley (lfseeley) | 82 comments I don't know if any of you participated in the 2012 Indie Book Awards. If you did, you may have noticed that my debut novel, Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves, won first place in the Suspense category. I'd forgotten I'd entered and was surprised to win. I love it.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Sorry, Larry, we ask that members who are writers not nominate their own books for group reads. You are welcome to promote your books in the promotions and author sections on the group.

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 465 comments I think Mistborn would make a great film myself. Maybe Ready Player One or Theft of Swords also. But I want to read something I haven't read already so Monster Hunter International sounds good.

message 20: by Larry (new)

Larry Seeley (lfseeley) | 82 comments Danielle-I was commenting, not nominating. I understand how dense I am, but not that severe.

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Well, in that case, it doesn't pertain to this thread, so consider that a friendly advisement from a moderator to do your promoting in the relevant threads. Thanks. :)

message 22: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) | 367 comments Do you take indie nominations? If so, DEADLY STRAITS by RE McDermott is an undiscovered gem. Well written, full of action (a lot like Tom Clancy), and a classic terrorist-plot unraveled. It could be the Mission Impossible 5 (or whatever they're on).

If that doesn't work, I don't need to read it to know James Rollins' BLOODLINE is going to be a blockbuster. He just keeps getting better and better every book.

(Larry, I feel for you bro, but the thing I like about this group is how clean they run it. I bailed on another group because it became a carnival.)

It'll be up to the Mods Seeley, but I think the books have to be available in more than one format.

Are you related to the FBI guy on Bones? :)

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Seeley, we don't have a rule against indie books. The main thing is majority rule on the voting process. If people can't get ahold of the copy except by paying a lot of money for it, then might be better not to nominate it.

message 25: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) | 367 comments It's available in paperback and e-book. But do you mean library? That's tough for indies.

I'm a lot older than Agent Seeley on Bones. It was my Great grandmother's maiden name and I'm the only one I've ever heard of off camera. Maybe I should start saying, "yeah, he's my son." :)

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

In that case, I think we can add it.

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Just a reminder that if you want your selection to end up on the poll, please add it as a link by clicking add book/author.

message 28: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) | 367 comments Oh... sorry. Deadly Straits

message 29: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

No problem, Seeley!

I've already decided what I'll vote for...but if it's available in PB and wins I'll look at it. No E reader.

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

To be honest, whether or not I participate in a group read is whether or not I have the book or can acquire it in time for the read and if I have time. I prefer books in paperback, but I will read ebooks, if I have the time or energy, or for review books.

I think for indie authors, they are more likely to publish in ebook format, so I think the exposure as group reads can be helpful to them, although it is difficult for those of us who don't read ebooks.

message 32: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) | 367 comments All the more reason to give this guy a shot. I think he represents the future of general publishing. I just finished Steve Berry's Columbus Affair and think it sucked. The Big 6 publishers are so cynical they don't even edit big name authors and Berry is in need of an editor. McDermott paid a top editor for the final edits and has a better book at $4.95 e-book and $14 paper ($10 less than Berry).

BTW: No relation, no kickbacks, don't even know the guy except for a couple emails.

message 33: by Kevin (last edited Jun 10, 2012 12:45PM) (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) How about David Wood's "Quest".
This is a good series by a rather new author. All the books can be read as stand-alones.

Quest- A Dane Maddock Adventure

http://www.amazon.com/David-Wood/e/B0...

The Kindle and Nook edition are 3.99

You can buy the PB NEW 9.99, USED 7.95

Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Quest-A-Dane-Ma...

message 35: by Larry (new)

Larry Seeley (lfseeley) | 82 comments Seeley--How did you get your name?

message 36: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) | 367 comments Stole it off a dead guy. Boy did he take a long time to die...

Not sure but I think that could be a sign of a burgeoning antisocial attitude...but that's just my opinion.

message 38: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) | 367 comments OK, OK, I'll try to be serious for a second: Seeley was my Great-Grandmother's surname. It was thrust on me as a naming-argument compromise.

message 39: by Larry (new)

Larry Seeley (lfseeley) | 82 comments So we may be related. What part of the country are you from?

message 40: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) | 367 comments Arizona. But my Great-grandmother was from central Illinois where her family lived for 100 years.

message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Today is the last chance to vote in the poll, so get your votes in!

message 42: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Jun 17, 2012 03:46PM) (new)

The Cleaner won the poll. Thanks to everyone who nominated and voted! The discussion will begin on July 1st.