Movies We've Just Watched discussion

LISTS, LISTS, AND MORE LISTS > Favorite dvd commentary tracks

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 217 comments Mod
One of my favorites is Roger Ebert's on the film Dark City...priceless. Any others people have particularly enjoyed?

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kay8jay) | 23 comments Actually, the dvd commentaries I've enjoyed the most - by far - have been ones that come with episodes of, "The Simpsons." (Although I'm not referring to a movie, since this thread is about dvd commentaries, I thought it worth mentioning.)

There is commentary on every single episode, and given the nature of the show, there are rarely any "spoilers" to reveal. The ones with Al Jean are particularly good.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4892 comments I'm not always a fan of commentary tracks. I listened to one once that really annoyed me, as a director I really respect said a lot of really unbelievably stupid things about the novel his film was based on. He then proceeded to describe exactly how a particularly interesting effect was achieved, which completely ruined the effect for me forever.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed | 217 comments Mod
I agree...they can either ruin the effect or just be plain boring...then again I've listened to some that really added more to my understanding of the film.

message 5: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick (faithbquick) | 81 comments for me the best dvd commentary has been the Lord Of the Rings trilogy! sometimes i put it on while i clean the house or work on some woodworking projects. which i think is the reason i am unbeatable at the Lord of The Rings Trivia Pursuit!

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed | 217 comments Mod
I need to see the final extended version of the Return of the King.

message 7: by Vitali (new)

Vitali (vitalinew) I like audio commentaries by Stephen Prince. You can find his biography and list of his commentaries here.

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9963 comments i rarely listen to the audio commentary. but i did listen to the one on the simpson's movie, and thought it was terribly funny.

the other ones i really like are the ones that come on john waters' movies...he's often funnier than the film, which is saying something. but the stories he tells about making the films are really worth listening to.

message 9: by Joy (new)

Joy I enjoyed the commentary from Ricky Gervais and the director of Ghost Town. Good movie!

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments My favorite commentary is the commentary that Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, and Harry Shearer did in character as David St. Hubbins, Nigel Tufnel, and Derek Smalls for This is Spinal Tap. It was like getting a whole new Spinal Tap movie.

message 11: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments I love the commentary track for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang -- Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer are hilarious. :D Also, the commentary for Slumdog Millionaire is wonderful, the one with director Danny Boyle and the amazing Dev Patel (the boy who played Jamal).

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9963 comments I liked kiss kiss bang bang, cissy. I went into the theater not knowing anything about it and was pleasantly surprised. I can imagine that commentary is really entertaining.

message 13: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments It is incredibly funny, recommended! I laughed so much. XD

message 14: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta I have never watched/listened to a film with the commentary on. I look forward to watching this thread grow, to help decide if I would like to give it a try.

message 15: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9963 comments if you like john waters' films, I highly recommend it.

message 16: by Katy-Del (new)

Katy-Del I really liked the commentary track on A Scanner Darkly.

I'm a big Phillip K. Dick fan and I enjoyed hearing his daughter tell stories about him. That and Richard Linkletter trying to explain why they should keep in the bicycle scene...

message 17: by Little Sparrow (new)

Little Sparrow (Ella) (LittleSparrow) Moonlight mile commentary...

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel i also love the commentary for "lord of the rings." but my favorite commentaries are from "the office" dvds. not every commentary is a winner, but i'd say 80% of them are absolutely hilarious and totally add to the show. whenever we get a new season i always watch the commentaries first. :)

message 19: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments I liked the dark knight special effects... if that counts.

message 20: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9963 comments i watched the new criterion collection print of polanski's repulsion last night, and then i turned right around and watched it again with commentary by polansky and catherine deneuve; i really enjoyed their commentary, made me appreciate the film on a totally different level.

message 21: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 304 comments I just got the DVD for Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, which has two commentary tracks. One is a standard commentary with several of the stars of the show chiming in, but they also wrote a second 'show' called 'Commentary', a continuous set of musical numbers by various cast members that was completely unrelated to the movie playing on the screen except to occasionally mention what was happening.

message 22: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments I love the standard dr.Horrible sing along blog commentary too!

message 23: by Atlas (new)

Atlas | 22 comments omg the commentary musical is AMAZING!!!! and when watching commentaries there are really two ones that tell u interesting things about the directors style and funny ones. For style tarantino and rodriguez do great commentaries and for humor any movie or tv show that is somehow connected to Judd Apatow is gold. specifically knocked up undeclared and forgetting sarah marshall