Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Ice Hunt
This topic is about Ice Hunt
Group Reads Archive > June Read: Ice Hunt by James Rollins *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new) - added it

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4794 comments Mod
Discussion Questions

1. What did you like about this book?
2. What didn't you like about this novel?
3. How did you feel about the characters? Did they suck you in?
4. What about the setting? Does it add to the tension and suspense of the novel?
5. Did this story meet your exacting standards for adventure and good writing?
6. Overall rating: 1-5 stars or out of 1-10
7. What other books would you recommend?

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I read this one a few weeks ago. Here's my review.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Here are the questions

1. I liked the pace. This was one of those "it don't stop, it don't even slow down," Rollins action reads. I also liked the Sheriff and the inclusion of alcoholism and overcoming it. The chances at redemption for Jack over his son.

2. I don't think it has a bad spot. I liked most of it. I thought the Sheriff could have been more active in the mid parts and the deaf scientist could have been a bit more useful in the fights but, generally I didn't find anything to gripe about. I think some of the "bad, naughty, bad government" things in the story might be controversial (some may not appreciate them) but I think they were sort of needed and helped explain, make clear the plot and motivations of the characters etc.

3. Yes, the characters sucked me in, starting with Jack in the very beginning, then the Sheriff and of course the dog...it was a cool dog! And Joe Kowalski is in it!

4. Yes, the cold and snow of Alaska was almost another character. It shaped things well. I liked the way he used it to hide bad things and help isolate the entire story. I also liked the ice tunnels beneath the station, those were cool.

5. Yes, absolutely. I think it's important to remember that Rollins isn't writing a moral-ethical tale of inner refection here. As the genre goes, there were some loose things here and there, and, you did have to press the I-believe button here and there to suspend disbelief...but that's nothing new in an action adventure novel.

6. I'd give it a 4 out of five (which is a good mark from me) and an 8 out of ten.

7. I'd recommend the Scarecrow adventures by Matthew Reilly, Of course the other Rollins books (including the Sigma stories) The Enemy by Desmond Bagley, Tightrope men by Bagley and also Event by Goleman.

message 3: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I finished last night and boy can this guy write a A/A book! It started of with a bang and never stopped. I liked everything about this book. The way Rollins uses time to build tension in the story, had me hooked. I also loved how the story ended. There were so many ways I thought it would end and happily I was completely surprised it ended the way it did.

I really can't think of anything that I disliked about this book.

Yes, anyone who likes action adventure books should have this on the top of their to read list, if they haven't already read it!

So I'll be giving it 5 stars!

message 4: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
and, it's got Joe Kawolski in it!

message 5: by Eileen (new)

Eileen He was so funny, Kawolski and the water parts cracked me up. I was a little worried there for awhile about Joe.

message 6: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

He's in all of the Sigma Novels.

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I didn't know that, thanks.

Roger Weston | 81 comments I recently received Rollins newsletter and it had a free Sigma guide download. Thought you might like to know.

message 9: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Thanks, I'll go now and check it out. I've turned into a major fan of Rollins books.

message 10: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Jun 08, 2012 12:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandstorm is the first one!

Sandstorm by James Rollins

message 11: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa P | 1996 comments Mod
Roger wrote: "I recently received Rollins newsletter and it had a free Sigma guide download. Thought you might like to know."

Thanks for this info Roger. It looks like signing up for the newsletter is the only way to receive the free Sigma Guide. Here is the link to sign up.
http://www.jamesrollins.com/contact/n...

message 12: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new) - rated it 4 stars

I friended him on Facebook (and liked his sight) I get those emails and there is some really cool stuff on his website. (Right now he's pimpin his new Sigma series book coming out at the end of the month.

Roger, thanks for the post, that's a cool sight if your a Rollins fan.

message 13: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Thanks again, Roger. I signed up. Looking forward to reading the Sigma guide.

message 14: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 14 comments Just finished Ice Hunt. I was reluctant to read it because of the ice cold venue. But Rollins heats up the action inspite of the climate. Glad I read it. I gave it 4 stars. Could not put it down.
Each month's selection has been a winner for me.
Thanks.

Now on to Blood Line...

message 15: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Bob wrote: "Just finished Ice Hunt. I was reluctant to read it because of the ice cold venue. But Rollins heats up the action inspite of the climate. Glad I read it. I gave it 4 stars. Could not put it dow..."

Glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully you'll get a chance to read next months group read The Cleaner.