Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's May Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments 1. Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain
2. Huckelbury Finn, Mark Twain. I read these because I enjoyed Life on the Mississippi so much.
3. Dead Last, James Hall. Thorn's personal life just plain sucks.
4. Death Roe, Joseph Heywood. Grady Service tangles with politics.
5. Assume nothing, Gar Anthony Haywood. Don't bother.
6. Deadly Currents, Beth Groundwater. Story revolves around rafting on the Arkansas River in Colorado. First in a series; I'll read the next one.
7. Pretty Girl Gone, David Housewright. Mac investigates old crime.
8. Boca Knights, Steven Forman. Ex Boston cop moves to Florida and becomes P.I. I could have done with a little less conversation with a "family member," but overall an enjoyable read.
9. Stolen Prey, John Sandford. Lucas, Letty and Flowers can't be bad...and they weren't.
10. The Monkey's Raincoat, Robert Crais. Elvis and Joe wreak havoc. Early Elvis is awfully snotty.
11. Hard Country, Michael McGarrity. Good western epic-like book, but the ending was disingenuous at best.

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2965 comments Thorn just wants his zen like existence. We want action. If we wanted zen, we would read sidarthur

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Beth Groundwater posts on the cozy board I'm on here on Goodreads. I've thought about trying this new series of hers. Glad you liked it. Nice count again, too!

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Melodie wrote: "Beth Groundwater posts on the cozy board I'm on here on Goodreads. I've thought about trying this new series of hers. Glad you liked it. Nice count again, too!"

The book has a VERY female POV with too much relationship angst for my taste, but other than that I found it to be a good read. The white water rafting and kayaking descriptions are great.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments When I saw the first two books, my first thought was "how fun!". I think I need to read these some day. I loved The Monkey's Raincoat ;)

message 6: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Susie in KS wrote: "When I saw the first two books, my first thought was "how fun!". I think I need to read these some day. I loved The Monkey's Raincoat ;)"

Twain is very entertaining, and it's fun to read about those times without it being an epic novel.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Great month, Dan! I read both of them years ago and loved them. Wish I knew what became of my copies. I don't think they were library books. Hope to read Life on the Mississippi someday.
Daniel wrote: "1. Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain
2. Huckelbury Finn, Mark Twain. I read these because I enjoyed Life on the Mississippi so much."