The Book Challenge discussion

a-m > Daniel's Goals for 2009!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Teo | 12 comments First of all, just want to say I'm new here, and this looks like a great site. I'm just sad I haven't discovered this site earlier.

Anyway, my goals for 2009 are modest compared to the other users. In 2008, I've read 18 books, which is actually my best score in years! I know, it's not much, but let's hope I'm on the right track now. So for 2009 I'm going to set the goal at 25 books, either fiction and non fiction. I hope this will stimulate me to keep reading and that I will be able to set more ambitious goals in the following years!

Currently reading:
The Blood Knight - J. Gregory Keyes
My Life - Bill Clinton

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbranson05) | 98 comments Good luck on your challenge! Don't worry about the number - the important thing is that you're reading and enjoying yourself - have fun!

message 3: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) good luck!!!

message 4: by Daniel (last edited Apr 12, 2009 08:45AM) (new)

Daniel Teo | 12 comments Well, I haven't updated this yet, but these are the books I read this year:

1. The Blood Knight - J. Gregory Keyes
2. The Last Days of Socrates - Plato
3. The Plot Against America - Philip Roth
4. Q&A - Vikas Swarup
5. Perfume - Patrick Süskind (Dutch Version)

Currently Reading:
Bill Clinton - My Life - 80%
Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood - 30%
Christopher Booker - The Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories - 15%

Slightly behind my schedule of 25 books, but a much better score than previous years. So I'm not too unhappy about my score ;-)

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Teo | 12 comments 6. Bill Clinton - My Life
7. Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood

My first Murakami! I really loved it, but I heard that this is really different from his earlier works. I'm very curious about those as well.

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Teo | 12 comments 8. Francis Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

Actually started this one because it was mentioned quite often in Norwegian Wood.

message 7: by KHoopMan (new)

KHoopMan  (eliza_morgan) I agree, we are very similar with our book challenges this year! Thanks for the encouragement, I will also be supporting your goal!!

message 8: by Daniel (last edited May 12, 2009 03:40AM) (new)

Daniel Teo | 12 comments 9. Christopher Booker - The Seven Basic Plots: Why we tell Stories

Great book on how stories are built, and provides me with new insights and understanding for both my reading and writing (when I actually get around to it). However, he does get some penalty points for being too rigid in his opinions.

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Teo | 12 comments 10. Terry Pratchett - The Light Fantastic

The colour of Magic was disappointing, but this one was both funnier and more cohesive. Definitely going to read more of the Discworld series.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1 comments Hi, The first few discworld books are a little disappointing but they do get better. Look for the City Watch ones and the ones with Death as the main character base.
Because they tend to focus on different character sets, I don't think its crucial to read the series in order right from the beginning, but don't give up on them :)

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Teo | 12 comments 11. Mikhail Bulgakov - The Master and Margarita

message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Teo | 12 comments 12. Jonathan Littman & Marc Hershon - I Hate People!: Kick Loose from the Overbearing and Underhanded Jerks at Work and Get What You Want Out of Your Job

As a people hater, I was drawn to the title. Nice little read. Nothing too serious, but mostly filled with anecdotes as you'd expect from such a book.

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Teo | 12 comments 13. Bram Stoker - Dracula

I didn't have too much expectations, because, well, this is Dracula, after all. Glad to say that the book was completely different from what I thought it would be.

message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Teo | 12 comments 14. Nicholas Ostler - Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World

Interesting book, though probably more recommended for people with at least some knowledge of linguistics. May need to come back to this one in the future.