The Extra Cool Group! (of people Michael is experimenting on) discussion

The Selection (The Selection, #1)
This topic is about The Selection
New Topics! > Nastiness in the reviewing world

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aloha (new)

Aloha I wonder how many of you have heard about this bit of nastiness. A reviewer posted a review that was reasonable and was not an attack on the author but the book. The author responded in her blog by attacking the reviewer and encouraging her followers to bury the review with "likes". The reviewer responded back in kind. Now, there's a blog that revealed the secret identity of the reviewer, including her family, address and photo. This was posted in the Fantasy Aficionados thread, and I wonder what the reviewing community thinks about this bit of nastiness or whether you've heard of it.

http://melissadouthit.com/2012/05/29/...

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) This is proof that there are all kinds of loonies out there, if you needed more. Negative press of this sort means I'll never read their stuff. Other than that, I think it's best just to ignore them.

message 3: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Wouldn't it make you hesitant to write a negative review? You never know how an author will respond to one of your negative book review.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) No, I'll still write a negative review if I feel it is warranted. I rarely get too nasty, though. It's just a book, after all. It's my opinion on one of many, many books. I usually write down why I didn't like it & if I get a stupid comment in one of my reviews, I ignore it. I might have deleted or reported a particularly idiotic one or two.

I also don't tend to give new authors a negative public review. Most of those I read give me their books & if I can't give them 4 or 5 stars, I give them a private review, never even listing that I read their book. I do that with a dozen or two books a year.

That means I'm normally giving any public negative reviews to established, fairly well known authors. While there have been cases of flame wars starting over them, I find most of the really ridiculous examples are from new &/or self-published authors who don't know any better. I believe the case you pointed out here is one such.

It seems to me that the YA genre is particularly fraught with danger for such behavior, probably because a lot of those supporting the authors are hormone driven, idealistic teens. It's their nature to be combative & they are prone excessive zeal, but I don't read many of those books. Usually the protagonists are of the same sort & I went through hormone hell with my kids too recently.
;-)

message 5: by Aloha (new)

Aloha Historically, I'm lenient towards emerging authors. I feel sympathy towards authors trying to make it in the writing world. However, I do not like pushy authors or the ones who reacted badly to a poor review. This Melissa Douthit had 27 sockpuppet accounts meant to stalk and harass reviewers. Here is some details on that:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

On a positive note, here is a blog that puts the whole thing in perspective:

http://www.staciakane.net/2012/06/01/...

message 6: by Michael, Sonic the Hegemon (new)

Michael | 183 comments Mod
Wow, I hadn't heard about this! A while ago, several YA authors got a lot of press for posting on reviews of their own books and saying some highly negative things about the people writing reviews, but this looks like an even more bizarre situation.

I tend to write reviews that point out flaws, even if I give a book 3 stars or more. That said, Events like this don't change how I would review in the least. If some author turns out to be an asshole who can't take honest reviews, that's not my problem. I'm here to share my opinions on books I've read, and that is pretty clearly what the book reviews on this site are supposed to do. I'm not here to be free publicity and to only say nice things, although if a book impresses me enough, that IS what I want to do.

So, this sucks, and it will ironically only be bad publicity for the idiot authors who get caught up in it. Meanwhile, it shouldn't impact anyone's book reviews, other than to perhaps reveal that we ought to keep in mind authors are on the internet, too.

message 7: by Aloha (new)

Aloha This in the long run will hurt indie authors if the relationship between indie authors and reviewers turn combative instead of supportive. You're taking your time reading a book by an unknown author. If it's too risky reading an unknown with a chance of being harassed, why would you want to waste your time on an unknown?

message 8: by Michael, Sonic the Hegemon (new)

Michael | 183 comments Mod
Exactly! These authors should be glad that someone took the time to read their book and post an honest opinion in a public space. Even if the review isn't nice, it's still letting people know the book exists. It's only a handful of them, but some authors seem to have no common sense, or to just love any controversy they can scrounge up.

message 9: by Scribble (last edited Jul 18, 2012 06:25PM) (new)

Scribble Orca (scribbleorca) | 123 comments Gosh a lot happens in absentia.

When I bowed out a year ago, an author had just about managed to have someone in the industry fired for simply adding in a neutral comment in a negative review thread. And this was not the behaviour of an indie author, but rather a mainstream traditionally published one.

Egos aside, encouraging reviewers to write negative reviews is probably seen as ultimately threatening profits. Hence the round of stamping on reviewers who write negative reviews.

What would be nice to see disappear are personal attacks on either reviewers or authors. But no, seems this is still the status quo.