The Enemy (The Enemy, #1) The Enemy discussion

Charlie Higson vs Michael Grant (Gone series)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dani (last edited May 31, 2012 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani I thought both authors dealt with the emotions of their subjects pretty well (although I'm no psychologist or anything) and I liked the way they both wrote action. I decided, however, that Grant is my personal favourite simply because he created a slightly more unique world and story.

What do you guys think?

message 2: by MizziQ (new)

MizziQ Grant. Definitely. I like the feel of his books better. Not much else as far as reasons go. :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the Gone Series better, but that's only because I can't really remember everything that happened in The Enemy, I was like, 11 and couldn't process all the violence etc

Evan Charlie Higson all the way. The gone series characters STINK. They are all the same, plus, barely anything ever happens to them. They just sit around, eating burgers...
I hated GONE. If Michael Grant wanted to kill off a character, he will make one up, that character will live for 2 pages and then die.
Higson has way more action, way more suspense, way more drama and way less boredom than Grant. Thats the way I see it.
Although I did like BZRK from Grant. That one was good.

Evan Daniela wrote: "I thought both authors dealt with the emotions of their subjects pretty well (although I'm no psychologist or anything) and I liked the way they both wrote action. I decided, however, that Grant is..." ...I like HIGSON. He can write really well. The GONE books bored the heck out of me.

Patricia Kaniasty I really enjoyed both series alot and that is a tough question. Grant really puts alot of thought into his characters but Higson stories are much more exciting. They both leave me wanting more. They really can't be compared beacause they write so very differently. Now try comparing the Higson series with "The Rot & Ruin" series by Maberry.

Rusty's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring) I think both series are awesome in their own ways. Gone starts off WHEN the disaster happens and then goes into detail with all the problems the kids face with the adults gone. The Enemy however starts off a year after the disaster so the kids have experienced all the hunger, terror and devastation and learned to organized themselves. So therefor I don't think these two series should be compared because their plots are totally different even though they're similar in some ways.

Dani I agree, but they do come under the same genre, and even saying a book is 'good' is to some extent comparative (in the same way as drinking Diet Coke isn't so bad unless you've just drunk the real thing). The reason I compared them was because they both featured children and young adults dealing with a huge disaster, and was interested to know what people preferred. It's not out of disrespect for the authors! :)

Akin is there the enemy the movie

message 10: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani I don't think so...but how awesome would it be if they made one!

message 11: by Julian (new)

Julian Chiu I liked them both put i liked the idea of nearly everyone in london had paths that linked up with other peple and parts etc. Gone is less confusing

Saturnus The Enemy- I simply didnt like the first book in the Gone series. The Enemy is so much better. Killing of main charachters, bloody, many charachters.... Everything I like. Plus one of my favorite OTPs comes from this book

message 13: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Both are great but I think higson has my vote, the characters aren't as Hollywood or black and white as in the gone series and the humour is much funnier in my opinion (life of Brian reference had me rolling), its close though.

Justin Armstrong I love his books they are asome

Star Inkbright (Ink!) Gone, of course!

This doesn't even need questioning!

The things I love most about Gone are the realism and the way it does its character development. The Enemy didn't have that. It wasn't amazingly realistic, for starters. In Gone, you really got the feeling that if those events happened, people would react pretty much like that.
Plus, the characters were amazingly capable for a bunch of kids. In Gone, nobody can really deal with it. Everyone fails and nothing they try really works, and then half of them half nervous breakdowns and either end up dying or being not very likable.
The Enemy was really a series for kids, except it had zombies in it. Gone was much more complex and in-depth.

Star Inkbright (Ink!) Tom wrote: "Both are great but I think higson has my vote, the characters aren't as Hollywood or black and white as in the gone series and the humour is much funnier in my opinion (life of Brian reference had ..."

Black and white?
Gone is one of the best books for character development I know. :P
If you look back over the series, the difference between how people were then and how they are now is startling and also rather shocking.
I'll give you the humour one, though. :)

Star Inkbright (Ink!) I think it depends what you're looking for in a book series, after reflection.

If you're just looking for goriness and drama, then go ahead, read The Enemy.
I tend to like deeper books, and books that are pure action tend to bore me.
(Not that I'm suggesting The Enemy is pure action - it does have more value that that - I'm just saying that I don't look for things like that.)

message 18: by Dr. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dr. Book I hated Gone due to because every one failed and died I think that even with a huge amount of failures. Eventually something would work out to some extent. I found THE ENEMY more realistic in gone none of the kids could deal with anything. In the enemy this happened but the survivors made it through.
I found them both origanal.
but I simply like THE ENEMY better.

Charlie Higson is AWSOME!!!!

ItBeFrosty Well, both series were pretty darn good, Gone took a while to pick up in the first book, where the enemy did not. They both had some characters that were really awesome, Gone with "breeze" and The Enemy with "Shadowman" but the main reason the enemy trumps Gone are the action scenes and for me at least the larger array of interesting characters.