2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2012 > General Conversations -June-

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) That is really cool! My library does a youth reading program, but no adult ones. :( Of course, I'd probably be disqualified anyway because I work for them! haha.

message 2: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments I'm excited--tomorrow is our library's huge book sale. $2 for a bag of books!

message 3: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I´m heading to my boyfriend´s cousin´s graduation tomorrow. And then I´m just going to take it easy. Hopefully the rain that´s supposed to come tomorrow will lessen the pollen in the air so that the symptoms from my allergies wouldn´t be too bad. Luckily I have a doctors appointment on Monday and even if that´s not why I am originally going I am hoping that I´ll get some more medicine for the allergies, it´s been the worst start of summer in decades with birch pollen!

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Johanna, I know what you mean about the pollen! My white car is yellow, lol. My husband had to go to the doctor last week to get a steroid shot to take care of his allergy problems. Allergies are horrible this year!!

message 5: by Johanna (last edited Jun 01, 2012 01:50PM) (new)

Johanna | 766 comments Ouch, a shot.. Yes the yellow is everywhere. I finally found this filter fabric you can put in the window. So you can keep your window open for fresh air and the pollen won´t get in. Hopefully it´s good so we can sleep with the window open when it gets HOT in July-August.

message 6: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments I love the library book sale! I got three books that I've been told I must read but never got around to: The Memory Keeper's Daughter, The Secret Life of Bees, and The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

You really can't go wrong for 10¢! Worst case: I don't like them and I donate them right back to the library. :)

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Secret Life of Bees is a good one, Kara! Have you seen the movie?

message 8: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Whoops--just saw this. No, I haven't seen the movie. Actually, I've missed A LOT of movies that people are just completely shocked by (like Ocean's 11, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Office Space...)

message 9: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) It's a pretty good movie. I saw it before reading the book. It didn't stray much from the book at all, actually!

message 10: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments What's everyone up to this weekend? Any exciting plans?

message 11: by Barb (new)

Barb Sarajayne wrote: "there's a 'feud' going on between two of my uncles and the one uncle/aunt have not gone to any family events in almost 8 years. They came and it was great to see them again-and they were civil towards the other uncle-no one had to call the police lol. "

That's always a good thing :)

message 12: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments That sounds great--I love family reunions, and I'm glad everyone put aside their differences. :)

Today, my Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight (seriously, someone needs to come up with a shorter name for this thing) came in the mail and I'm in love. I've been using a Nook Color, but it hurts my eyes after extended reading periods...I think because I'm already looking at a computer screen all day. That's all the LCD screen my poor eyes can take.

message 13: by Sheena (new)

Sheena | 174 comments Wow that is a long name. I am so addicted to my Kindle. I have hundreds of books and just keep downloading. My husband tells me I have enough reading material to last me till I'm over 90. Lol...

message 14: by Barb (new)

Barb I could read a book a day for the rest of my life and still not get through my entire TBR list!

message 15: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments At the rate my TBR is growing, me too! Too many books, too little time.

message 16: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I love my Kobo Touch. It's really great for trips on a plane when I can't bring my usual bag of 5 or more books in case I can't decide what to read!

@Kara, a lot of people complain about LCD screens. The Nook with GlowLight (shortened!! haha) has an e-ink screen, right? The e-ink screens are much better to read with. I like how it looks just like a book. :)

message 17: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Yes, it's a good combination--it's e-ink but with a back light so you can read when it's dark out. I'm a huge fan.

message 18: by Sheena (new)

Sheena | 174 comments I'm sitting here reading and wondering if any of you have eating habbits while you read.

I usually read for an hour or so after the kids and hubby go to bed and I always have to have a box of Gobstoppers. Horrible habit but I can't break it..

message 19: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Sheena, I've tried to snack while reading, but I always forget about the snacks once I get into the book. Whoops!

message 20: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments Now that June is wrapping up, what have been everyone's favorite and least favorite books for the month?

message 21: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) hmm, good question, Kara. My favorite book(s) I read in June would have to be Wandering Son: Volume One and Two. They were really good manga novels, here are my reviews: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..., http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/....

My least favorite was Parker Pyne Investigates. I read it for my Agatha Christie Lovers group. It left a lot to be desired! But the last story in the collection saved it from a two star rating. I gave it three stars.

message 22: by Sheena (new)

Sheena | 174 comments Since I only read three books, my favorite was Mockingjay. Loved how it ended and I finished the series..

So my least fav would have to be Torment. Its a good book but just didn't compare to the other two I read.

message 23: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3977 comments My favorite was Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir, and my least favorite was Emotional Intelligence 2.0.

Maybe I read too many business books, and they all start to sound repetitive.