Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > What makes a best seller?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) Lots of sales probably.

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) Every single one of your points has a huge number of exceptions. If you want a really good novel about it, try Olivia Goldsmith's The Bestseller.

message 3: by Bai (new)

Bai (sleepy_reader) | 112 comments People buying it....

message 4: by Christie (new)

Christie Rich | 335 comments I think the biggest selling point for any book whether Indie or Traditionally published is word of mouth. Let's face it. Twilight did not take off right away. It was only after people who read the book recommended it that it drew a large following. Once buzz was strong enough, it really took off.

I did not hear about Twilight from the media. A friend of mine told me how amazing it was, and I had to read it. One of the main reasons Twilight got so big was because of the target audience. Younger people talk about what interests them and are more likely to tweet about something they think is amazing.

I think all the things you listed are good points, however, now days big publishers only spend real money on well known authors. The others are left to market for themselves, just like Indies.

I mean, I've seen a few commercials for books, and some media buzz, but what makes me look into a book is usually a recommendation from a friend or people talking about the book on social media platforms like goodreads. :)

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily | 4 comments Christie wrote: "I think the biggest selling point for any book whether Indie or Traditionally published is word of mouth. Let's face it. Twilight did not take off right away. It was only after people who read t..."
Agree. :)

message 6: by Caron (new)

Caron Rider | 13 comments To get on the NY Best Seller list you have to sell 5,000 copies in a week. That's it. The book could be crap but it'd be on the best seller list. I was amazed when I found that out. Some guy got all kinds of backlash because he and his friends got together and bought that amount, trying to game the system. So I think the industry has since tried to police that, so it would have to be different people from different places. Or something, IDK.

But once a book hits the list, it is pretty much made if it IS well written and entertaining or news worthy, etc. I think all your points are well made though.

I heard about twilight from a friend, otherwise I never would have read it. So I think word of mouth is essential.

message 7: by Caron (new)

Caron Rider | 13 comments That is the kicker, Martin, getting the word of mouth. I think that's why the NY Bestseller list is so important...that's the word people seem to start with. Big publishers have 300 reviews before a book even comes out, so an indie author is behind the curve from the get go. People can pre-order books from the big publishers too, which means it's a best seller before it even hits book stores. --another kick in the head to indie authors. ;)

message 8: by Tammy K. (last edited Jun 03, 2012 07:43PM) (new)

Tammy K. (rambles_of_a_reader) | 148 comments As a reader I look for what you refereed to as social relevance (makes a good point) .
A book that connects to where I am mentally and emotional at the time that I read the book.
Right now a fair amount of my readings selections have been in the dystopian or post apocalypse genre with the protagonists restarting/regrouping a community outside of the established ones rather than trying to correct the existing ones.
If I pause to ponder what it is that is pulling me towards those genres, I think it might be my personal discussed with the nations current events (political parties and the different (yet equally flawed) protesters).
I am not sure if it's the same for other readers when they select a book.
I also look for original work. I don't mind the same kinds of plots provided the authors have original fully developed characters (not standard stock characters), original scenes (not "borrowing" from the last top sellers), a plot that is going somewhere (has a message), and somewhere between 250-450 pages. I am not a fan of novella or novelette because they fail to develop plots /characters/messages properly leaving feelings flat and unsatisfied.