No Quarter Leftism discussion

monthly reading?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by sologdin (new)

sologdin is there any interest here in having a monthly reading task?

we might nominate and vote on a group text, say, and then post book reports herein, analyze the reports aforesaid, and then denounce each other as wreckers for filing reports afflicted by reactionary ideology. it's good fun.

message 2: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 3 comments I'm game. Though i'm always typically woefully behind on whatever reading commitments I have in favour of anything with a spaceship in it.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel at The Pearl Cartel (RachelatThePearlCartel) | 3 comments I'm new to the group but would love to get in on a little group-reading and discussion project!!

Even if response is small, a few of us could begin one, read for a month, and then move on to something new.

Perhaps it catches on with other members, but otherwise we still get something out of it!

message 4: by sologdin (new)

sologdin welcome aboard.

do we need to form a committee to select readings, or does someone want simply to propose something for august 2012? (i see no reason to exclude books about spaceships, incidentally.)

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel at The Pearl Cartel (RachelatThePearlCartel) | 3 comments I'd like to suggest "Something wicked this way comes" by Ray Bradbury. It's something I've read a while back in high school but I'm positive I didn't get as much out of it as I could have.
Anyone in agreeance with that one as a starter?
Really, Ray Bradbury books in general would be an interesting starter-- He is such a great author, and I'd love to get into something of his, especially after his recent passing.

Opinions or other suggestions?

message 6: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 3 comments I've never actually read Bradbury, so i'm game.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel at The Pearl Cartel (RachelatThePearlCartel) | 3 comments Any seconds?
Alternative suggestions?
I suppose once a book is chosen, those beginning the reading also need to agree on how to post/discuss the book without spoiling anything for readers not currently at the same place in the book (i.e. do we discuss the book by chapters, by sets of chapters, by some outside guide which I'm sure is available?)

I would love to be getting started by the first week of august, I'm eager to begin!!

message 8: by sologdin (new)

sologdin count me in.

message 9: by Grant (new)

Grant Witherspoon | 2 comments I’m super late to this group and I don’t know how goodreads works very well. But I would love to try and do this now, 9 years later 😉