Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What actors/actresses ruin/make movies for you?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 243 (243 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What actors/actresses' presence will turn you off of a movie through their presence, even if you were otherwise interested in the content? What actor/actresses/ presence will attract you to a movie through their presence, even if you were otherwise not interested in the content?

The presence of Owen Wilson is getting to be enough for me to skip a movie. I used to like him, but I'm convinced he plays only one character, and that character is Owen Wilson. I used to think Sara Jessica Parker was lame, too, but she did a good job in Smart People (not to mention Square Pegs and Girls Just Want to Have Fun), so she gets a reprieve.

Kate Winslet and Benico Del Toro seem to make strong film choices, so if I see they're in a film, I pay closer attention.

And...you?

message 2: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Tom Cruise
Will Smith
Dane Cook
Keanu Reeves
Matthew McConaghey (sp)

Hmm. Can't think of any girls right now.

message 3: by Chloe (last edited Jan 05, 2009 08:15AM) (new)

Chloe (lolosrun) | 347 comments Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson, Dane Cook, Mena Suvari, Sarah Jessica Parker, Jessica Alba and many many more are guaranteed to make me hesitate before seeing any film of theirs. I'll still probably see them, because I love awful movies almost as much as I love good movies, but I'll hesitate.

Julianne Moore, Kate Winslet, Benicio del Toro, Aaron Eckhart, Natalie Portman, Christian Bale and even Seth Rogan (I love his voice, I wish he could read me bedtime stories) will drag me out of the house to go see their films in theaters.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Tom Cruise, Will Ferrell, Kate Hudson & Jessica Alba

I like Will Smith & Reece Witherspoon, and the Red headed guy that has three names I believe, that was in the movie Cold Mountain.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Julia Roberts leaves me suspicious of a film, too. I don't know which is worse...comedic Julia Roberts or serious Julia Roberts.

Oh! I won't go see a movie with Robin Williams in it. Period.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I FUCKING HATE ROBIN WILLIAMS!!!!!!

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments highfives Montambo

message 8: by Sandy (last edited Mar 10, 2009 10:34AM) (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Julia Roberts, Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey, Bruce Willis,Keanu Reeves, Brad Pitt,Tom Cruise (completely bonkers),Will Ferrel, Kenneth Branaugh, Hugh Grant,and a cast of thousands will keep me away from a movie.

Alan Rickman, Johnny Depp, Kate Winslet, Judi Dench, Kate Blanchett, Anthony Hopkins (most of the time),
Kevin Spacey,Imelda Staunton, Kevin Spacey, Geoffrey Rush, Hugh Laurie, and a cast of hundreds will always lure me to a movie. Oh, bollocks, I seem to have a thing for Brits.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17294 comments Mod
Wow, good question RA! And confusing answers, y'all. I need some kind of reason you loathe these people. Seriously. Or preamble your list with hate/love. I'm so confused. Seriously, how do you all feel about Robin Williams? Did you like Patch Adams?

*shudders*

I hate Laura Linney. And Ben Stiller. I'm beginning to hate certain SNL stars, who need to step back to NYC for a little while and let me forget about them.

message 10: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akaGunslinger) Jim Carey, Robin Williams, Ben Stiller, Hugh Grant, Ben Affleck, and Julia Roberts. I also avoid any Quentin Tarentino-directed movie in which he acts.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Who, then, Dan, do you like? (why are there so many commas in there?)

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akaGunslinger) I like John Cusack, Jason Lee, Morgan Freeman, Benicio del Toro, and Kurt Russell (Snake Plissken!). I don't tend to notice the actors I like as much as the ones that make me keenly aware I'm watching a movie.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 05, 2009 10:26AM) (new)

Oh, geez Jim Carey how did I forget him.

I like Laura Linney though she seems to be a different person in her films, not the same person plopped down on a different set.

message 14: by Heidi (last edited May 04, 2009 10:27AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments Cameron Diaz needs a mute function installed on her. Jude Law does nothing for me. Keanu Reeves bores me. Kicole Kidman looks freakish to me - I have a hard time watching her newer stuff (despite the fact that she's a great actress), but I loved her older movies.

J'adore:

Javier Bardem (heh!)
Juliette Binoche
Cate Blanchett
Cuba Gooding, Jr.
Ryan Gosling
Alan Tudyk
Jake Gyllenhaal
Maggie Gyllenhaal
Kate Hepburn (Love Affair remake - worth watching to see her as Warren Beatty's older auntie)
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Greg Kinnear
Heath Ledger (... :( ...)
Clive Owen
Natalie Portman
Giovanni Ribisi
Mark Ruffalo
Liev Schreiber
Julia Stiles
Naomi Watts
Renee Zellweger

And I don't ever get tired of laughing at/with:

Steve Carell (loveable in Dan in Real Life)
Jack Black

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

I think Nicole sold her soul. Her hair is turning white!!! The year she had a baby!!!

message 16: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (lolosrun) | 347 comments Ack! How could I forget Naomi Watts! She's in consistently mediocre films but I love her completely in everything. Same with Clive Owen. He does "smoldering" like it's nobody's business.

I've only recently come around to Maggie Gyllenhaal. I loved her in Secretary then she did a string of "meh" films. Still, I realized that I no longer loathed her when The Dark Knight made me sad.

message 17: by Jude (last edited Jan 05, 2009 10:43AM) (new)

Jude (jude42) phonebookers over 40/50/60 ( i would watch them read):

vanessa redgrave
nicol williamson
imelda stanton
helen mirren
denzel
emma thompson & her ma Phyllida Law& sister Sophie too come to think of it.
Ciarán Hinds
Lena Olin

in other news i appreciate Mr Willis in teh occassional shaven-headed fist-fest and Ms. Roberts more than it is fashionable to say. Roberts in NottingHill escpecially - that movie has snuck up on me due to its remarkable support cast & Julia does just fine...

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

I like Keira Knightley. And Don Cheadle. Russel Crowe isn't usually in sucker films.

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Oh, how stupid! I left out Emma Thompson, Helen Mirren and Derek Jacobi. Rule Brittania?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I don't think I've ever seen an Angelina Jolie movie, and I'm good with that. Brad Pitt bugs me - he's okay in physical roles, like in Fight Club, but he never convinces me when he tries to do introspective.
I thought I hated Tom Cruise, until I saw his movie executive character in Tropic Thunder, and realized I would love him in more roles like that, where he isn't the hero.

I love:
Chris Cooper,
Philip Seymour Hoffman,
John Cusack,
Greg Kinnear,
Alan Rickman,
Colin Firth,
Michael Caine,
Robert Downey, Jr.,
Emma Thompson,
Kate Winslet,
Maggie Smith,
Susan Sarandon,
Geena Davis,
Amy Adams,
Holly Hunter,
Jodi Foster (though not the thriller stuff she's been doing lately),
and Frances McDormand.

message 21: by Heidi (last edited Jan 05, 2009 11:14AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments I forgot... Kate Beckinsale. I will watch a movie if she's in it.

I "discovered" her in Haunted about 12 years ago. Sir John Gielgud and Aidan Quinn were also in that movie. They were all sufficiently creepy and suspicious.

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

That was a great movie. Wasn't Lily Tomlin in that too?

message 23: by Jude (new)

Jude (jude42) amen to Jackie's list. and the sad and wondrous thing ( in reverse order) that is Nicole Kidman. the plastic surgery breaks my heart. she is a truly gifted actor and i wish that were enough for her. hell - for all of the Stepford stars - so many lost individualites...

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

Nicely put, Jude.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Jackie, Philip Seymour Hoffman was the guy I couldn't remember, and I agree on Jodie Foster.

message 26: by Heidi (last edited Jan 05, 2009 12:01PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments ::stomps::

::stomps some more::

::pouts::

Hmmph! PSH was on my list, too.

message 27: by Jude (last edited Jan 05, 2009 12:09PM) (new)

Jude (jude42) thanks. i think miss Cher's face most of all - still remember the lawyer movie where i realized she was a cutter... sigh. oooh. here's a lovely woman who kept her nose : (Anna Patrick)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPisnn...

wish i could find her speech to Desdemona bout men - it's lovely...

eta- sorry for the lil highjack but that's very dark:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgur...

and now back to reg programming....

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

Allriiiiiight, The Heidi. Lets all just take a deep breath of air. We all love Neil Patrick Harris as much as you do. The NPH rules.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry, Heidi, I meant to say thanks to Jackie, but a very special thanks to Heidi. ;-).

message 30: by Heidi (last edited Jan 05, 2009 12:15PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments Sally, Lily Tomlin wasn't in that movie. I'm sad to say that. She's great. :)

Jackie, you have a great list. We seem to have similar taste in actors/actresses. I waffled over whether or not to add John Cusack to my list. I decided against it, but I'm glad you added him! Chris Cooper and Susan Sarandon are two others I wish I'd thought to add.

OH! And I almost forgot another three - Rachel Weisz, Eva Green, and Daniel Craig.

message 31: by Meen (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments I don't think I would just refuse to see something b/c a certain actor was in it, especially if the film as whole was getting raves. However, I've never liked Tom Cruise. And Keanu Reeves annoys me. BUT, I really liked Valkyrie and A Scanner Darkly. So, yeah, I wouldn't rule anything out just b/c of its cast.

message 32: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments Thanks Sally and Jim! I've met my tantrum quota for the day, so I'm good now. :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

That's what we're here for.

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

It WAS cute, I kind of want to buy you candy now.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Heidi, your list helped spark mine. Yeah, what IS Cameron Diaz's appeal?

message 36: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Forget Heidi! Give her no credit whatsoever!

:)

Is it true that Anna Faris is supposed to be imitating Cameron Diaz in her "spacy actress" act in "Lost in Translation"? It sure sounds like it.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Wasn't that Scarlett Johannson in "Lost in Translation"?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, RA, I think you're right about Lost in Translation, that being a Cameron Diaz impression.

Oh! I also like Toni Collette, who played opposite Cameron Diaz in that In Her Shoes movie, I think.

Wow, was that movie calculated to be a date movie. I can just hear the promotional meeting now - "Women love shoes, so let's have the main character have great shoes! And put "shoes" in the title. Okay, we've got Toni Collette for the women to relate to, but we need someone for their dates to look at. It doesn't matter what she sounds like, she just has to LOOK hot..."
meow

message 39: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes, she was the star, Jim, and I don't blame you for focusing on her (heh), but Anna Faris was also in it playing an actress staying at the same hotel...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

May have to re watch that one, this is not ringing a bell with me.

message 41: by Heidi (last edited Jan 05, 2009 02:18PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments RA, this is what I copied and pasted off the IMDB website about the Anna Faris character... in short, to answer your question - yes, but not officially.

Sofia Coppola wrote a lot of the film based on her life. The character of John (Giovanni Ribisi) was loosely based on her husband Spike Jonze. Rumor has it that the Anna Faris' character, Kelly, was supposedly Cameron Diaz, with whom Spike Jonze worked with on Being John Malkovich (1999), though Coppola denied the connection in an Entertainment Weekly interview.

Of course Sophia denies any connection; I would do the same. But seriously... I wonder if it bothered Cameron Diaz that one of the hottest directors in Hollywood totally blasted her in a movie. But not really. :) I'm just amused.

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

I think Sopia Coppola is kind of a hoot. Her Kiersten Dunst movie was underrated.

message 43: by Heidi (last edited Jan 05, 2009 02:36PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments I'd just like to go on record saying that I think that Alan Tudyk is easily THE most underrated actor working in Hollywood (he was on my earlier list, but I think he deserves more attention). He gives a standout, unforgettable performance in every movie he's in, and somehow he makes his over-the-top character roles seem seamless and believable.

Oh, and another to add to my ever expanding greedy list - Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He does creepy morally corrupt characters so well, it makes me giddy.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oy. JRM - I'd eat broken glass to be able to have sex with him.

message 45: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments Ouch.

message 46: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments RE: 37

RA, I will eat your soul for that.

message 47: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Which one is JRM? I'm scanning back and can't figure it out.

message 48: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments Jonathan Rhys Meyers. :)

message 49: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh. I wouldn't eat broken glass to have sex with him. But I'm picky.

message 50: by Heidi (last edited Jan 05, 2009 02:32PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10824 comments And for the record, Sally... I happen to like candy. And Marie Antoinette (the movie) was GOOOOORRGEOUS! The screen adaptation was brilliant! And the sets/props/costumes - exquisite.

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.