Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > If you've seen "Australia" (The Moulin Rouge divide emerges)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny (mannyrayner) On the way home, we tried to reconstruct Baz Luhrmann's elevator pitch. Any advance on "Jean de Florette and Out of Africa meet Fanny and Alexander at Pearl Harbor Down Under"?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 05, 2009 06:08AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I didn't see Australia. Was it any good, sir? I hardly noticed it was released. It seems like the kind of movie I would watch on fast forward, if at all, on DVD. Plus I heard it was crazy long, and I don't have the attention span for crazy long movies anymore.

message 3: by Manny (new)

Manny (mannyrayner) The story was over-the-top silly, but entertaining and sometimes quite moving. Definitely should have been edited down to size though. Some stunning photography from the Australian Outback.

Would probably work quite well as a date movie... women seem unanimous about Hugh Jackman, and Nicole Kidman is on reasonable form. The kid is great.

message 4: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (lolosrun) | 347 comments Baz Luhrmann makes some very pretty movies, but I'm never sure that there's anything else there but gloss and candy filling.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17294 comments Mod
I like Baz Luhrman. I feel like he is a modern Cezanne or perhaps VanGogh. Messy and atypical. Perhaps with a bit of Pound and a pinch of DH Lawrence.

message 6: by Dave (last edited Jan 05, 2009 09:56AM) (new)

Dave Russell After paying to see Moulin Rouge I'd like to give Luhrmann a bit of a pounding. It wasn't even bad in an interesting way.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh, I loved Moulin Rouge. I had just gone to Paris a couple of times and had gone to Montmarte to go dancing, albeit 20th c. techno in glitter pants kind of dancing. And I adore Ewan McGregor. I'd pay money to watch him techno in glitter pants.

Wait, have I? *off to Google "glitter pants McGregor"*

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Did Velvet Goldmine come up?

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have a Moulin Rouge poster in my home office, and I still watch it every now and then...if I want to scare my children in the car I'll put on the soundtrack and sing along.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

That would be scary. Is it good for embarrassing situations?

message 11: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 05, 2009 10:15AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm hoping it'll be good for embarassing them as they get older...

would you recommend glitter pants and techno? And does Sweeter wear those?

:)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Have to agree with Dave here - couldn't watch Moulin Rouge to the end, probably didn't make it half way.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.