Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Lonely Planet's Top Ten Destinations of 2009 (baseball/ spring training talk)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/trav...

What do you think? Where do you want to go?

I guess I wouldn't mind visiting Norway(#9)...

message 2: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Ugh, nowhere that the Lonely Planet is sending people, that's for sure. Though I do love Laos. I don't know, currently topping my list of places I want to travel to is Mumbai followed closely by Vietnam. Depending on the political situation, Vietnam may happen sooner. I have no wish to get caught up in sectarian warfare.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i am leaving for india the 17th of this month for 2 weeks so that is being checked off my list. i would love to return to west africa and am working on an opp for that later on in the year. i have never been to australia or new zealand so they are very high on my list. i will check out the Lonely Planet top ten destinations and see if any interest me.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Wouldn't mind going to France because I have ancesters from France but I did my traveling in the Navy long ago and don't really want to go anywhere else except here in the US of A. I have been to the Big Island of Hawaii already and I loved it. my fave island was Maui though.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (last edited Jan 05, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I would love to go to any of those places. I'm dying for a trip and it is beginning to dawn on me that I married a non-traveler.

Except we did go to Kauai this year. And that was heavenly.

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 4 comments "Traveling"...period....is on my 'bucket list'. So the site gives me some ideas.

I have been to the Big Island...wouldn't mind going back and discovering some different places.
Tasmania, also, sounds like an interesting 'side trip' to Australia. OZ is at the very top of my list, anywho.

There's a book, which I requested from my local library, titled Novel Destinations....sounds like an interesting read....about the birthplaces/hometowns of famous authors. Haven't recieved it, as yet. Figure there will be a number of them from the area where I live (N. California)...Steinbeck, J. London, M.F.K Fisher....I'll start with those, I guess.
Probably don't list any 'living' authors....can't you picture a busload of people showing up and peeking through their windows and waving at the author?! HA!

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh, I've heard of that.

I'd like to go to Southern France and tour the Troubadours land with some Ezra Pound and TS Eliot.

message 8: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments South Dakota.

:)

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

It is not

*punches Mindy in the arm*

Wait, it is, isn't it. Aren't you the Sturgis fan?

message 10: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 3 comments I would love to tour the wineries in Tuscany. See Australia, China and Ireland and the english country side.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (last edited Jan 05, 2009 11:44AM) (new)

I'd like to go to China. Absolutely.

Sometimes I fantasize about going to teach English there for a year or two and pay back my student loans in 6 mos. Then just save money. That would rock.

message 12: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments HEY! I bruise easy!

*sniffles and rubs arm*

Not Sturgis for the rally. (NO THANKS. Although it is an amazing sight.) Just the Black Hills. And the Badlands.

message 13: by Erica (new)

Erica DuBois i would go anywhere on that list. i love their bluelists, i buy that book every year. i can't help it, i love to fantasize about travel..

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments china is very cool. not sure for a year though unless you REALLY like being around lots of people. i have been there twice and it is sorta like going to the State Fair....forever.

Italy and Spain are on my next list

message 15: by Erica (new)

Erica DuBois i love the state fair - do they have all the food on a stick?

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yup. you can find food on a stick. nothing quite like eating carp on a stick while riding on the same bicycle as 3 of your closest new friends. if you use both chopsticks you can have all your food on a stick

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

OH my stars, Kevin. "The state fair for a year?" What state's fair reminds you of China?

What cities did you visit whilst there?

message 18: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy | 3 comments Been to Italy 2 times. First was the northern areas. It was wonderful anbd the foor is good too.
The south of Italy is the best in my opinion. Fodd is better and the sites and cities were friendly and very interesting.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

I found that the North was much ... colder ... people and the weather. Not as much smiling, not as much hugging or wine imbibing. North = fashion and safety. South = good food and gypsies.

message 20: by Kevin (last edited Jan 05, 2009 12:22PM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments well, not exactly because of the cool state fair excitement (like corn husking competitions or fried dill pickles although those would go over good) but more because of the wall to wall people everywhere where you go. in crowds you don't walk, you sorta levitate as you move in a herd. i was in Beijing, Shanghai, Weifang City and the some smaller places also.

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh that does make sense. I've heard that. Also, didn't you feel like a giant?

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Have people noticed how cheap flights have been lately? Midwest (Milwaukee's most prominent airline) is having a massive sale...you can get to just about anywhere they fly in the country for under 300 round trip, and most places are a lot cheaper.

I also read yesterday that cross-Atlantic flights from the east coast were going for 400...not bad.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I got a Spring Break ticket to New York for $440.

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 4 comments This reminds me to look into flight for NOLA...for JazzFest...thanks.

If you are interested in N'awlins and 'literary' fests....the end of March is the Tennessee Williams Festival! Sounds like fun and a hoot!

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Sally - yeah, i was pretty much bigger than most people there. i am a people person and i found that so many people in china were helpful, friendly and fun. (lots of people are like that all over the world). they love culture and history. i also like how they sort of live for the day.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 06, 2009 05:06AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome to TC, Obisbooks....

I think I'm going somewhere domestic mid-March...the flights are too reasonable to skip, and I'll have a little time...and I haven't traveled for a while for a variety of reasons...

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

We're going to San Francisco for Spring Break, so I'm glad to hear tickets are affordable.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I love San Francisco!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I go to Hawaii every two-three years, but to Oahu, not the other islands. I should branch out.

message 30: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 4 comments For those going to S.F. and get into the 'literary' mood...BookPassages (Ferry Building and N. of S.F. in Corte Madera, Marin County) has author readings. There is another store, the name escapes me momentarily, in the Opera Center that offers 'readings', too.
Others to visit are
City Lights in North Beach
The Mystery Bookstore in Noe Valley
JapanCenter has a terrific bookstore on alll things Japanese...I don't read the language, though the graphics are pretty darn cool!
I believe there are many, many writers (some on Goodreads!) that live in the Bay Area.
Some coffeeshops and bars in the City and in Berkeley have 'open mike' poetry on different nights.
In Salinas, near Monterey, is the Steinbeck Museum, South of San Jose. To the north, is Jack London's home/State Park...in Sonoma County.
Thought I'd pass all that along, just in case!

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jackie, the big island is the best, IMO. Take a helicopter tour of the active volcano. Stay at the Four Seasons -- get massages at the best spa on Earth. Drink mai tais on the beach at sunset.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Larry wrote: "Jackie, the big island is the best, IMO. Take a helicopter tour of the active volcano. Stay at the Four Seasons -- get massages at the best spa on Earth. Drink mai tais on the beach at sunset."

That all sounds wonderful, Larry, and very expensive. I'd need to do what I do on Oahu, where I get a rental in Kailua with a kitchenette, so I can afford to stay for a whole week. I would be happy to just visit the Four Seasons for that mai tai. I don't need to stay there.

I have been to the Big Island once, when I was ten, and saw Kilauea erupt. Do they have good malasadas and shave ice on the Big Island? They must...

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I was able to do all that once -- probably never again. I'm not familiar with malasadas and shave ice.

message 34: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Jan 06, 2009 05:37PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Larry wrote: "I was able to do all that once -- probably never again. I'm not familiar with malasadas and shave ice."

Shave ice is a snocone that's actually delicious. I get mine, from the very place in the image, Matsumoto's, with ice cream in the bottom:

Malasadas are basically doughnuts without holes. The word comes from the Portugese for "badly cooked". :D

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ooh looks great! Badly cooked indeed!

message 36: by Sally, la reina (new)

My favorite in Hawaii is saimin noodles.

message 37: by Cyril (new)

Cyril The places on the list seem to be good especially for outdoor sightseeing, which is fine, but I would like to visit spots with a lot of history. My list would include Istanbul, Rome, and Kyoto.

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) What are saimin noodles like?

message 39: by Sally, la reina (last edited Jan 06, 2009 05:46PM) (new)

When ordered to go they come in a typical asian food box with sides of sauces and goodies:
IMG_0460.JPG

They're deliciously salty soupy noodles.
IMG_0459.JPG

and they come from a place that looks like a 50s lunch counter:

IMG_0456.JPG

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I would like that. I always like noodles.

message 41: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Looks like Ramen to me.

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

It is akin to Ramen, but not quite. It is a distinctly Hawaiian food made from the blending of Japanese and Hawaiian cuisine/flavas.

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hey! Let's all go get some!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments What, right NOW?

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) NOW!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Okay, I'm ready....

Where ARE you, Larry?

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) On the way to the airport. Aren't you?

message 48: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm tossing around some ideas for what to do over spring break. I thought about:

1. Going to Phoenix, because I've never been there, and I'm fascinated with southwestern art,
2. Going to South Dakota, since I haven't been in three years, and
3. Going to Chicago for a few days.

I think I'm going with #3. I'm not keen on #1 because I think I need to do more research, and March isn't the best time to walk the Badlands.

On the other hand, I grew up in Chicago and feel like every visit is a mad dash from morning until night trying to fit everything into one day. If I go for a few days I might splurge on a downtown hotel and take the El everywhere, like when I was growing up, and not have to rush the visits. I'll be on my own (my wife and kids' spring break is different than mine) and I won't be too far away, either.

I have a window up for hotels.com. I think it'll work.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments What, you're not picking me up? What kind of invitation is this, Larry?
And now I'm starving!

:::stomach growls:::

message 50: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I vote for SD, RA! I bet the Badlands are extra eerie in the snow! And the Black Hills in the snow... Oh, man!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.