Writers' Bloc discussion

Ideas for our first read?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (elemenopew) | 6 comments Mod
Does anybody have a book in mind?

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 2 comments I just finished reading Natalie Goldberg's WRITING DOWN THE BONES and look forward to reading another by her. I'm not sure if that is what you had in mind in terms of what to read.

message 3: by Tanya (new)

Great! Thank you! We'll put up a poll once we've got a few more members and decide what our first read is going to be.
Meanwhile, do you have a blog we can link back to from ours?

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin | 2 comments No, I don't blog.

message 5: by Apostolia (new)

Apostolia | 1 comments Hello! Well, I'm about to read Jonathan Coe's 'The House of Sleep' for a second time, because it's our next book in the local (Island of Kos, Greece) Reading Club. I liked this book very much the first time I read it, so much that I consider myself lucky to have done so. The reasons are many: tight, interesting plot, well and convincingly constructed characters, psychological and social issues to reflect upon, are only some of them. It is considered one of Coe's masterpieces, but anyway it appealed to me and I would enjoy the opportunity to discuss and share my views and feelings about it. Let me add a short summary of the plot and, if you feel like it, consider it as a suggestion.

'Ashdown, a beautiful but bleak manor on the English coast, is the main setting of this story. Initially, a group of university students including Sarah Tudor, Gregory Dudden, Robert, and Terry reside at Ashdown. Some of these same students return there years later as either patients or staff when the building is converted into the Dudden Clinic where individuals with all sorts of sleep disorders are treated.

Sarah is a disturbed young woman suffering from narcolepsy. She is sometimes unable to differentiate her dreams from the experiences of real life. Robert is infatuated with her and will do literally anything to please her. Gregory is Sarah’s first lover, later a psychiatrist in charge of the sleep clinic, and finally a man gone mad who decides to self-experiment. Dr. Cleo Madison is a sleep psychologist whose true identity is a surprise. In this novel, reality appears more surrealistic than most dreams.'
from http://litmed.med.nyu.edu/Annotation?...

message 6: by Pallavi (new)

Pallavi (bookfetisher) Hi... I am currently reading "The SnowMan" by Jo Nesbo.... its a serial killer mystery.... i have just started.. and i felt it interesting:)

message 7: by Sindhu (new)

Sindhu (sindhurao22) | 4 comments Mod
Okay, I have two suggestions. One is to read one of the Harry Potter books and go nuts talking about it. (I got this idea from a Facebook friend.)Or you know, read it if you haven''t already.
Or... How about Animal Farm?

message 8: by Mabs (new)

Mabs (astarteia) | 3 comments Reading one of the Harry Potter books together would be fuuun!
I´m interested in reading the book you mentioned on the blog, Bird by Bird, perhaps we could discuss that one too. (Trying to find a copy over here.)

message 9: by Tanya (new)

Oh, that's a good idea. I need to read Bird By Bird, too. *shameface*

message 10: by Sindhu (new)

Oh yes. Maybe you could get it off Amazon or something? I'd love to do a reread!

message 11: by Mabs (new)

Mabs (astarteia) | 3 comments It is being shipped as we speak! (Still 3-5 weeks, though.)

message 12: by Durga Priya (new)

Durga Priya | 4 comments The House of Sleep sounds very interesting. But I think for now, a Harry Potter book would be better since almost everyone has a copy. Which one do you think we should read? I was thinking of book 3. Even LOTR-1 or The Hobbit would be a good read .

message 13: by Sindhu (last edited Jun 06, 2012 11:14AM) (new)

@ Mabs: Oh, that's great! :D
@Durga! : Three or four. I like three the best though.
LOTR1! I have been trying to make myself read that for the longest time.
Besides, I was thinking, Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. And The Ode Less Travelled by Stephen Fry

message 14: by Durga Priya (new)

Durga Priya | 4 comments Oooh. Curious Incident!! I love that book!

message 15: by Durga Priya (new)

Durga Priya | 4 comments or even Making History by Stephen Fry. That would provide for a meaty discussion.

message 16: by Sindhu (new)

Yes! Making History! :D Ode Less Travelled is a writing book. :)

message 17: by John (new)

John Fuller (johnandrewfuller) | 3 comments I really like the idea of reading The Hobbit again. It's been so long that I had forgotten it was written in first person. Knowing now how hard that is to accomplish (and have it not suck) an analytical re-read would be fun :)

The first book of the Wheel of Time (The Eye of the World) is still badass.

Book 1 of Paradise Lost would provide some serious debate material. It's a bitch to read though, being an epic poem and all. But.. man... Satan is just so convincing.

Any sort of writing instruction book.

My roommate has been trying to get me to read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World for years. Sounds pretty awesome.

message 18: by Tanya (new)

I'd love to re-read The Hobbit. Haven't read a single Stephen Fry, and should probably start.

Also, if we're talking fantasy, maybe The Name Of The Wind? Everywhere I look, people are giving it five stars and I'm itching to get my hands on it.

And. Maus?

message 19: by Durga Priya (new)

Durga Priya | 4 comments Stephen Fry is brilliant.
I've read the first book of the Wheel of Time series, but I didn't really like it much. But I think I'll give it another shot because there are SO many people who love the series.

message 20: by Matt (new)

Matt | 2 comments I can definitely encourage reading any of Stephen Fry's fiction works (which are vastly outnumbered by his nonfiction, but still...). As I said on the blog I still need to read The Hobbit and, erm, all of the Harry Potter books. Hahaha. :/ But yeah I would be keen on Animal Farm too, haven't read it for a long time...

message 21: by John (new)

John Fuller (johnandrewfuller) | 3 comments Did a decision get made?

message 22: by Tanya (new)

Oops.
I think we're sort of leaning towards The Hobbit. To begin with, at least. Is that okay with everyone?

message 23: by Mabs (new)

Mabs (astarteia) | 3 comments Yes! I have a borrowed copy here somewhere.

message 24: by Matt (new)

Matt | 2 comments Works with me! I have a copy here waiting, begging, grovelling with me to be read! :)

message 25: by John (new)

John Fuller (johnandrewfuller) | 3 comments Starting The Hobbit after my next book is done :)

message 26: by Tanya (new)

Done. The Hobbit it is! :)
We start in a week? Give everyone interested a chance to get their hands on a copy?