Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > New Edition

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mig (last edited May 31, 2012 12:48AM) (new)

Mig (minzo) | 18 comments Can anyone explain to me how to make new editions?
Step by Step? I'm a new Librarian here.. so i really don't know how. I've been trying and trying but just kept deleting the new (supposed to be) edition. It just converts into a new book..

Please, i really want to learn how.
Step by step..

message 2: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10805 comments A new editions needs to be combined manually with the other editions, so you're not doing that wrong.

message 3: by Mig (last edited May 31, 2012 01:45AM) (new)

Mig (minzo) | 18 comments But, why doesn't it show up on the "Other Editions" section on the right?

Oh and i've never tried combining.. i though that's only for Super-Librarians?

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 106 comments I don't know why clicking on "add a new edition" doesn't automatically combine the new edition with the others but it doesn't. You'd think it would - it would save a lot of extra time. I guess they don't want people accidentally clicking "add new edition" when they mean to create a new book entirely.

As Renske says, after creating the new edition, it will be created as a stand alone book so you then have to go to "combine" and manually combine it with the other editions.

message 5: by Mig (new)

Mig (minzo) | 18 comments Robin wrote: "I don't know why clicking on "add a new edition" doesn't automatically combine the new edition with the others but it doesn't. You'd think it would - it would save a lot of extra time. I guess they..."

Oh. that explains a lot more.. thanks.

message 6: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10805 comments Paperworm wrote: "But, why doesn't it show up on the "Other Editions" section on the right?"
Other editions are the editions that are combined with the edition you are viewing.

message 7: by Mig (new)

Mig (minzo) | 18 comments Finally i got it!
Thank you very much, Renske and Robin. :)

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "I don't know why clicking on "add a new edition" doesn't automatically combine the new edition with the others but it doesn't."

It's a technical limitation.

FYI, there is a help item about this issue: http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/23...

message 9: by Bradley (new)

Bradley (bradleyc) | 1 comments I appreciate you all addressing this concern, as I've had this problem already and had given up until I figured it out on my own. This discussion saved me the trouble, and it is greatly appreciated.