Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matko (new)

Matko (mali_mate) | 26 comments I'm interested in reading Snyder. From what you posted it seems that "The Black Mirror" can be read as a standalone.

Delving into DC continuity (pre-New 52) is a bit too much for me right now :)

message 2: by Thameera (new)

Thameera Senanayaka I'm interested in The Black Mirror as well.

message 3: by Joshlynn (last edited May 31, 2012 10:29AM) (new)

Joshlynn | 10 comments Other good Batman standalones include the classics like Arkham Asylum, The Killing Joke, Year One, etc. Another one I like is Sword of Azrael (requires serious suspension of disbelief, but has some fantastic Bruce/Alfred moments and dovetails nicely into the Knightfall arc). The New 52 The Court of Owls is also a pretty good read, though there are some annoying printing errors therein.

At the moment I'm reading Batwoman: Elegy, which I'm finding quite fascinating.

message 4: by Matko (new)

Matko (mali_mate) | 26 comments NYKen wrote: "Matko and Thameera, when do you guys want to read Batman: The Black Mirror? This way we can create a thread for it."

Anytime is more or less fine with me...so create away :)

message 5: by Thameera (new)

Thameera Senanayaka Matko wrote: "NYKen wrote: "Matko and Thameera, when do you guys want to read Batman: The Black Mirror? This way we can create a thread for it."

Anytime is more or less fine with me...so create away :)"

Yeah, same here. Let's read it in the weekend so we can start discussing next week?

message 6: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments Hey there.

I'm looking to re-read a short-story collection and it would be great to discuss it here. I'm going either with Breakdowns: Portrait of the Artist as a Young %@&*! or Good-Bye.

Anybody is interested in doing a Buddy Read?

message 7: by Elissa (new)

Elissa Ferguson | 28 comments Sérgio wrote: "Hey there.

I'm looking to re-read a short-story collection and it would be great to discuss it here. I'm going either with Breakdowns: Portrait of the Artist as a Young %@&*! or Good-Bye.

Anybody..."

Sure, I love early Spiegelman, haven't read everything in there, but I have read some of it. Does it have Ace Hole in it?

message 8: by Sérgio (last edited Jun 26, 2012 02:12PM) (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments Jay wrote: "Sure, I love early Spiegelman, haven't read everything in there, but I have read some of it. Does it have Ace Hole in it? "

Yes. It has his best stories published in the 70's, mainly in the anthology Arcade and also a new 30-pages comic-form introduction that gives interesting insights about how Spiegelman became a comic artist. If you haven't read all the stories, you can still join the discussion of the ones you've read.

Before starting the buddy read I'll mention all the stories we'll talk about.

NYKen wrote: "Guys I'm down with reading Spiegelman's "Breakdowns: Portrait of the Artist as a Young %@&*!" but I won't be able to join your discussion until the weekend after July 4th. I've got a lot of backrea..."

I'm OK with that, we can start that discussion on that weekend starting day 7th. Are you OK with it Jay?

About dividing the discussion, how about discussing a new segment of the book every 2/3 days? I think that way we have plenty of time to read it and discuss it slowly.

These little short comics are really dense, so I think there's plenty to talk about even in a few pages.

What do you guys think?

ps: Of course anyone else that wants to join this can do so.

message 9: by Elissa (new)

Elissa Ferguson | 28 comments Sounds fine, I have a copy waiting for me at the library and I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

message 10: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments OK then. We'll start this discussion next Saturday. I'll open up the thread sometime next week.

If anyone else wants to join us then, please do so.

message 11: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments Hey there folks.

Anybody interested in doing a Pinocchio buddy read?

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul | 286 comments I'll probably be getting it come mid-January

message 13: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments Great! If we can get someone else for this we'll do it then.

message 14: by Court (new)

Court | 14 comments I'd like to read this one!

message 15: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments Ok. You guys let me know when you'll get a copy of it and then we can start our buddy read. :)

When do you think we could start this?

message 16: by Mike (new)

Mike | 289 comments I might be up for it too. Earliest I could start is mid-Jan.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul | 286 comments I've just ordered it, but Amazoon says it should get here by Jan. 29

message 18: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments Sounds like the best time for this is early February, right?

message 19: by Court (new)

Court | 14 comments Early Feb. sounds like a good idea. I just put my order in and it won't arrive for at least three weeks.

message 20: by Paul (last edited Jan 02, 2013 11:57AM) (new)

Paul | 286 comments Surprise, just checked my Amazoon account and it is marked as shipped, I'll probably get it next Tuesday or Wednesday.

OK then, just received it today (Wednesday)
First Impression, woah, it's bigger than I thought it would be!
(yeah, yeah, insert that's what she said joke here)
First flip-thru... doesn't look like it has all that much text; the art looks like early underground stuff.
Will be reading it this evening...

message 21: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments Hi there guys.

I'm sorry to say but I won't have much time to participate in a buddy read in the next few months.

It would be cool if you guys would still do it, though.

message 22: by Meran (new)

Meran | 115 comments I'm interested in buddy reads, but no superheroes though...

Pinocchio looks good! Let me see if my local comic store can get it for me (hard to spit at 25% off ;) )

Is the buddy read for it still active?

(this thread looks dead)