The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus> discussion

Mod: Question to the Group Re: July's book

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsay (last edited May 30, 2012 08:20PM) (new)

Lindsay (linkeepsitreal) So, many of you may have noticed that the poll for July's book is pretty tight right now. Wuthering Heights and Dracula aren't separated by that many points, so the mods have been kicking around the idea of going for two books for the month of July.

The other idea we had was that we could give people a choice. Select two official (in this case, probably Dracula and Wuthering Heights), and suggest reading one for participation on the boards and such. I like this idea, personally (if we decide to go for two at all, that is) because people could always read both if they feel inclined, but if not, they can continue reading one a month.

We thought we'd throw the idea out there and see what the general consensus was. Thoughts? Do we feel up for two books in one month? Will having two make things cluttered and unfocused, or do you guys think it might add some nice variety?

Based on feedback, we'll get back to you guys on how to proceed. It won't affect June's book.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim I also have read and would be willing to re-read both. Since I am familiar with them already, it feels fun to discuss each individually or compare/contrast etc. However, I think if they were both new to me it might feel overwhelming.

Stephen Hegedus | 205 comments Mod
Kim, that's why we have the option to CHOOSE between Wuthering Heights or Dracula. We're not forcing you to read both novels, we're giving you the option to either choose one OR read both.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited May 31, 2012 07:14AM) (new)

I think I can handle reading both in one month, I already own copies. But in my case, reading several books at once makes me feel unfocused. I'll read one, discuss, then read the other and join discussion on it even if I miss the start of it.
I don't feel I can choose between one option or other.. if Wuthering Heights is chosen as only option.. I'll probably nominate "Dracula" for next :)
Whatever you decide it will be fine for me.

message 5: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (linkeepsitreal) Upon further consideration, for now we're going to stick with one book, but will consider upping it to two in future months. Thanks to all who replied.

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise I didn't comment earlier because I've read both books concerned already and if I wasn't going to take part in July it seemed unfair to try and influence how it was set up. I think you made the right choice though - while the group is still relatively small it's probably a good idea to keep group reads to a managable one book a month. Once we get big and have a fair number of people participating in discussion threads, then I think we could go up to two novels a month if people want that. If there's a tie the voting already closes enough in advance that another poll could be put up to decide between the winning two.

There's nothing stopping people from reading the others books afterall and starting a discussion thead about non-group-reads.

What I think might be nice though is perhaps doing one novel/novella a month and one (optional) short story. I know the title of the group is 'gothic novel', but there is a lot of great gothic short fiction as well that doesn't always get a lot of attention. Just a thought.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 02, 2012 09:40AM) (new)

Louise wrote: "I didn't comment earlier because I've read both books concerned already and if I wasn't going to take part in July it seemed unfair to try and influence how it was set up. I think you made the righ..."

I'd second the short stories/novella option. For example , "Carmilla" would fit perfectly on it, it's quite a short work.

message 8: by Alyne (new)

Alyne Winter | 30 comments I used to read Dracula every winter for years. Tells you a lot doesn't it? I find Van Helsing annoying, but I also now know the Lyceum Theater and think it might be worth another read knowing that Dracula was somewhat based in the actor Henry Irving.

message 9: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (paulinabibliophile) | 192 comments Short stories! Yes! We could read some Lovecraft!

message 10: by Stephen Hegedus (new)

Stephen Hegedus | 205 comments Mod
I actually just bought his short story anthology - well, once of them.

message 11: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (paulinabibliophile) | 192 comments Oh, nice. Enjoy!

message 12: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Piazza | 23 comments I like the idea of the short stories!

message 13: by Leah M (new)

Leah M (leahmw) | 27 comments Yeah i absolutely LOVE Dracula heaps my favourite!! but YEs short stories are more managable....