Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Dragon Keeper (Rain Wild Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Dragon Keeper
Realms of the Elderlings Series > The Dragon Keeper - Finished reading? How did you like it? SPOILERS AHEAD

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Post here when you have finished reading.

Helen Finished earlier. I enjoyed the story but never felt as involved with the characters as I did in previous trilogies. Interesting ending, I want to know why the blood swirls, also quite like the will they won't they.

I feel as though we've only just got started in the book and then we finished, but from the page count I guess it is quite a short opening book.

Can't state how pis cross I am about the final part not being available!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I must say it took me a bit of time to get into this book, which I was a bit surprised at given how much I love the previous Hobb books in this universe.

However, once you get to know Alise, the dragons and everybody, it does set up nicely for a good series, so I'm excited to see what unfolds and whether we ever find Kelsingra, or whats become of it.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I haven't been able to get beyond the prologue so far. Too many other things distracting me. Plus, it seems to pick up where Live Ships left off and those books were not my favorites. I'd rather read about Fool.

Evilynn | 68 comments I haven't been enamoured with the Dragon Keeper series so far, it feels a little too predictable and like Hobb's running on empty.

message 6: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Marvello (drmarvello) I like this series the least of the Hobb books I've read. I was on vacation when I read it, so I was able to blaze through it in a couple of sittings. If not for that, I think I would have put it down about half-way through. It dragged on too long in the depressing mire of the dragons' lives and none of the characters were very engaging. The ending-that-wasn't was the last straw for me. I don't think I'll keep reading the series because I don't really care that much about what happens to the characters or the insufferable dragons.

Sorry to be so negative about it. The world-building was good, but the story? Not so much. I did like the descriptions of the village in the trees and learning about the liveships.

message 7: by Oj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oj Stapleton | 6 comments I liked the book okay, but I have a feeling that if this were the first every Hobb book I had read, I would not be so kind to it. But, since I loved the previous 9 books in this series, I am giving it a little extra benefit of doubt.

It almost reads like one huge prologue because it pretty much just sets everything up and then once things start to get going - it ends.

I fully expect the pace to pick up a lot with the next book though, so as long as it does - that should be fine.

Helen I know what you mean. Her books are usually much longer and I wondered whether that was my problem, perhaps I expected more in it?

Mach | 41 comments I personally think everyone should read all the books in the Raiwild Chronicles in one go.

Helen Given the last part isn't out till next year, we don't have the luxury. I would've gone on otherwise.

message 11: by Oj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oj Stapleton | 6 comments I've always had the luxury of reading Hobb's trilogies all in one go. I read all six books of the Farseer and Tawny Man series back-to-back.

Then I went a few years and picked up the Liveship books (I wish I had read them in between the other two series, but oh well, I didn't know they were connected at all) and then went straightaway into this one.

I'm taking a break from the series at the moment (and giving Christopher Moore a go) and will come back to it later - hopefully not too long before Hobb finishes it up.

Helen I've always done them back to back, still annoyed about this part 4 as I didn't know about it.

Serenity | 11 comments I think part of the reason people don't love this series right away is because the characters are all so annoying and/or despicable (dragons and people). Tats is the only one not getting on my nerves so far. However, I think this is pretty typical of RH character development - the characters suck in the beginning, but some of the redeem themselves and things end on a high note. Think Liveship Traders, Malta, etc. I think it'll be worth going through the less-good parts for the inevitable kick-ass conclusion. (view spoiler)

I also read that Dragon Keepers and Dragon Haven are actually 2 halves of one book that got split, and the last 2 books make up the second part of the plot, but were also split. So there should be a proper ending for Dragon Haven, less abrupt. I think I will stop after Dragon Haven, and read the last 2 books together next year.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Serenity wrote: "I think part of the reason people don't love this series right away is because the characters are all so annoying and/or despicable (dragons and people). Tats is the only one not getting on my nerv..."

Sounds like that's a good idea.

Helen That's a good point, I couldn't stand Althea initially either.

Wastrel | 51 comments Helen wrote: "That's a good point, I couldn't stand Althea initially either."

I didn't like her immediately, but by halfway through the book (ie in the sealers chapter) I was loving her. By the end of the series? Not so much. Though to be fair that's in large part because she got more and more relegated to the brooding periphery of the plot.

Evilynn | 68 comments Wastrel wrote: "I didn't like her immediately, but by halfway through the book (ie in the sealers chapter) I was loving her. By the end of the series? Not so much. Though to be fair that's in large part because she got more and more relegated to the brooding periphery of the plot. "

Yeah, that was one of my biggest problems with Live Ship, why on earth did she get relegated to the periphery by the end of the series?

I heard the Dragon books were supposed to be first 1 stand alone, then 2 books and now it seems it's bloating even more, so the plan now is for 4 books in total?

Angela (asaciuk) | 5 comments I felt that the first three books should have been wrapped up into two instead, with some editing out of some of the mundane that bogs each book down. They are shorter, but also feel like they are lacking in some of the substance. Too many characters, I wonder? Looking back at other trilogies written by Hobb, she doesn't flesh out that many characters, but we usually don't notice the same because they come in and out of the book, and are not there throughout - like Molly and Verity in the Farseer books, Vivacia in the Liveship books (she's there but after the first book not really fleshed out any more), and the companions on the adventure to find the dragon in the Tawny Man series. Just my thoughts...