Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Dragon Keeper (Rain Wild Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Dragon Keeper
Realms of the Elderlings Series > The Dragon Keeper - planning to read?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Thanks to Jon for moving this folder up to where we can see it. I plan to start reading this some time next week. Who's joining me?

Helen I shall be joining, no rewards for guessing that.

message 3: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I just realized I actually own this book as an ebook on my Nook. However, not having read any of the previous novels in the Realms of the Elderlings series, I'm not sure I could just jump in and catchup.

For those of you who have read the previous novels and this one, what do you think?

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I think it would be fine. From what I've seen it takes place in the same world but in another place and with new characters.

message 5: by Mach (last edited Jun 02, 2012 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mach | 41 comments Jon, if i were you i would read the Liveship Traders first before this one. The whole premise of this story is what happens in the previous books so you are pretty much ruining the Liveship Traders for yourself, and the Liveship Traders are better then these. I have read all the published books in the Realm of the Elderlings in the order they were published and that is the best way.

message 6: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (jennyc89) Hmm, I was going to try to read this but I don't think I'll be able to if it's better to read the Liveship Traders first. I'm adding it to my TBR shelf.

message 7: by Mach (last edited Jun 09, 2012 01:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mach | 41 comments Btw this series is called The Rainwild Chronicles not The Realm of the Elderlings. That is the collective name of all the trilogys in that world like Farseer, Liveship Traders, Tawny Man and Rainwild Chonicles.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Mach wrote: "Btw this series is called The Rainwild Chronicles not The Realm of the Elderlings. That is the collective name of all the trilogys in that world like Farseer, LIviship Traders, Tawny Man and Rainwi..."

I know. It would be nice if we had put all the discussions in this folder.

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I can only move the threads that I started.

message 10: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Marvello (drmarvello) I did not read Liveship Traders before reading this book. How did I accidentally ruin Liveship Traders for myself? Or would that require spoilers to explain? ;-)

Helen Spoilers I'd guess, although I haven't started this yet.

Sue-Ellen (suejuddo) | 11 comments Have before read a book that was not the first in the series. If the series is good, it is good and you can overcome that discretion. But then Dragons of Pern is my favourite.

Helen I've not read any of them, are they good?

Carolyn (seeford) I really enjoyed this series, and I'm looking forward to #4!
I read all the other books in this world before I read the Liveship Traders series and I do not think at all that you have to read them first, or that there is some major spoiler that 'ruins' anything about them from the other books. They are great books, all on their own.
I say go ahead and read the Dragonhaven books; as someone said above, it is a new setting and all new characters, from the other books.

Helen #4? Is it not a trilogy?

message 16: by Mach (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mach | 41 comments It was supposed to be a trilogy but the "third" one was so big she decided to split it. Last book is coming out in the beginning of next year, March 2013 i think.

Helen I'm swearing! hate waiting for an ending! I like your picture.

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Helen wrote: "I'm swearing! hate waiting for an ending! I like your picture."

Yeah, and I hear #3 is a cliffhanger. Bummer.

message 19: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Marvello (drmarvello) Well, at least Robin's being consistent. #1 ends without an ending at all, never mind a cliffhanger. I got to the last page and said, "What? That's it? Where's the rest of it?"

message 20: by Mach (last edited Jun 10, 2012 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mach | 41 comments Thanks Helen. Yeah i agree Daniel these books should be read in one go. You guys are lucky that don't have to wait for each book except the last one of course. Before even starting it's best to have the others handy.

Helen I went on the book page and someone said it was already out in their country and were expressing that it was unfair on the UK and US. What a ridiculous situation the copyright system has become.

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Helen wrote: "I went on the book page and someone said it was already out in their country and were expressing that it was unfair on the UK and US. What a ridiculous situation the copyright system has become."

Amen.

message 23: by Oj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oj Stapleton | 6 comments I just happened across this group and saw y'all were reading this. I only have 100 or so pages left in it and am looking forward to joining the discussion!

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Spear | 9 comments Ok I talked to someone who read 4 in Dutch and it sounds like it leaves aot of questions about dragons and Elderlings acting politically. One. Haracter also seems to be taken over by a violent personality from the city's memories. Do you see any hints of this I missed earlier? What would the fool make of it? Wish I could read it for myself.