Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Journey to the Center of the Earth
Jules Verne Collection > Journey...NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Trisha | 492 comments I have always enjoyed books by Jules Verne and find them to be fun action stories, so I am looking forward to reading this one. Somehow I missed reading this one growing up!

message 2: by Mo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mo | 53 comments How did I miss there was a 2008 movie version? I'm about 2/3 of the way through the novel. Maybe I'll watch the movie when I'm done.

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I just finished Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, imagine my suprise at reading the wrong Jules Verne book. Oh well, if I have time I will read it before the end of the month, but I have already started G W T W.

message 4: by Mo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mo | 53 comments I finished this book a week or so ago. I can see why it was important, but I'd have to say I kept comparing it to War of the Worlds, which I also read recently. I liked War of the Worlds better.

Jenny (jennyc89) I'm a third through the book and I'm enjoying it. I'll definitely check back in when I finish which will hopefully be in a few days.

message 6: by Jenny (last edited Jul 13, 2012 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny (jennyc89) I finished this on the plane to Vegas on Thursday. I enjoyed it but it was different than I was expecting, although I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting. Did anyone else read this?

I actually didn't enjoy The War of the Worlds at all. In my opinion there was no personality in Worlds where as in Journey although it was mostly scientific description the reader still got a clear sense of the personality of the three main characters. I thought that Hans was a hoot, nothing phased him. I thought that the uncle was melodramatic but that's not surprising considering the era the book was written in.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (The Litertarian) (emmaleighbug) I read Journey to the Center of the Earth right after I got my first Nook, because it was a cheap (maybe free) classic (I'd already spent too much money on the other books I'd bought for it!). I hadn't seen the movie with Brendan Frasier, but I watched it after.

I actually really liked the book...I'd never read Verne before, but knew he had influenced countless authors. I can see why, now. He had such an imagination! I've got Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days downloaded to read. Perhaps I'll read one of those soon.

Trisha | 492 comments I am halfway through, but it seems to be moving a little slow. There is SO much discussion of mineralogy that I feel like I am in an Earth Science class. I'm just waiting and waiting for something exciting to happen. It's a little disappointing to be halfway through and STILL not have made it to the center of the earth yet. I hope we get there soon!!

Jenny (jennyc89) I agree with you Trisha, I skimmed over some of the mineralogy discussion. I was surprised to find that the book is more about the journey than the center of the Earth.

Trisha | 492 comments I was a little disappointed with this novel because I was expecting more action and adventure, but it really seemed to get bogged down with pages and pages of minerology, archeology, paleontology, and the word "antediluvian". It was a fun concept, but the storyline was slow. I also got annoyed by Henry's character. If anything stressful happened, he was whiney and belligerent, blaming his uncle for dragging him along, but if things were going well, he was all to eager to go first and exclaimed that it was the best adventure ever. He reminded me more of a spoiled teenager than an adult on a scientific expedition. My favorite character was Hans, the stoic Icelander who saved their lives multiple times but only said 5 words throughout the whole book. If not for his calm, practical attitude, the two explorers never would have made it to the mountain, let alone back home again. I remembered it being alot more exciting when I read it as a child....perhaps because I read the condensed children's version with illustrations! Haha!

Tracy | 22 comments Jenny, I also enjoyed the three main characters. They were each clearly defined and developed. Hans was indeed funny as he kept right on plugging along for that weekly salary regardless of the danger and adventures he was going through. Hah! I would have been long gone! I'm not a big science fiction fan, but I must admit that I enjoyed most of this book. It moved along and I could let the author take me on an otherwise unbelievable journey because of his talented writing style. -- It is interesting to me that other books such as "The Hollow Earth" have claimed to be real experiences when they so blatantly follow Jules Verne's imaginary journey to the center of the earth. I guess a lot of people have not read this book. Too bad for them!

message 12: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9437 comments Mod
And I love the scenes when Hans gets his weekly pay. Just makes me smile as they have usually gone through some harrowing experience and then just as normal as can be, Hans gets his pay.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Tangen I agree with you Trisha - Henry was a whiner. But his uncle was a bit bullish and stubborn. Hans was my favorite - stalwart and brave. (I smiled too at the weekly payday. Where is he going to spend it?)

There were some lines of Latin or Greek from ancient (or make-believe) authors that I enjoyed. I used one of the lines in a goodbye card for someone at work.

Trisha | 492 comments Hans was definitely my favorite too! If not for him, they never would have made it to the crater, let alone to the center and back. He says very little, but has such presence in the story.

Jenny (jennyc89) I forgot how awesome Hans was. He definitely cracked me up. Maybe one day I'll reread this story. I think I'd enjoy it more going in with a better understanding of what it's about.