Ian Somerhalder Foundation Book Club discussion

Benefits of an e-reader

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ThinkinginMiss (new)

ThinkinginMiss | 13 comments This was my first time using an electronic reader. Although I don't have an e-reader, I downloaded the Kindle App for PC at Amazon.com for free. I decided to do this because I thought it would save time in getting the book (instant gratification as it were) and also save paper, shipping, space, etc. I found that I really liked using the electronic version. My place was always saved. I could highlight or make notes at will. In addition, I could look up any unfamiliar words. I didn't have to do this too much, but Kim Falconer did have a few things in there that I had never heard of. Some terms from Australia I found in the dictionary included in the e-reading program, and some very specific terms from quantum theory I looked up on the Internet from the e-reader program. I found it very helpful to go back using the note function to see where certain ideas were mentioned. I was very pleased with the e-reader program. I think how wonderful it would have been to have had this as a student. I think about as a teenager reading books like Ivanhoe and The Scarlet Letter, having the dictionary at my side for look-up constantly. The e-reader's dictionary would have been so much easier. As a teacher, I wish every student could have one.

message 2: by E. (new)

E. Milan (EMilan) | 1 comments I agree. I was at first leery of ereaders. I love printed books and have lost count of how many I have. But once I started using my Kindle I was hooked. I love the fact that I can cross device my books. I have two Kindles (a keyboard and a fire) my phone, and my computer that I read on and it always stays up to date. And right now I found the Fire to be invaluable when reading Shakespeare. Press and hold a word and all the definitions pop up, the poetic uses, etc. It's great. I never thought I'd be a fan but I love it.

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariatortilla1) | 7 comments I fought against getting a kindle forever but because I like to read so much I was starting to run out of space! Now I have a keyboard and a fire as well and it was one of the best purchases/gifts I've ever gotten! Especially when I was reading A Song of Ice & Fire series! There is no way you can just throw one of those books in your purse and go LOL I agree that I think it would be beneficial for all students to have one but it in a way it makes me sad and a little old because then I think students would miss out on that scrappy feeling of lugging a bag of books around and having to go to your locker in between classes. Sorry its late and I think I just rambled on in the end there LOL

message 4: by Barnyard (last edited Jun 07, 2012 04:26AM) (new)

Barnyard ISF (barnyardisf) | 121 comments I listened to Game of Thrones on CD. Definitely a nice way for some books. 1984 is super good on CD, Young Stalin, a History of Britain series, Harry Potter series, The Road, The Reader, Heart of Darkness, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. There are many out there, kind of hit & miss though depending on if you click with the reader. I think Catch-22 would be really fun to listen to, potentially very entertaining.

My Dad has a kindle & it was nice to have when he was sick, because we didn't have to figure out books for him to read, he could just go online & get exactly what he felt like reading. My sister has been borrowing it to read Hunger Games & she really liked it. Her & her friend read the whole series aloud to each other. =) I think it would be great to have a combo option audio/ebook that you can read, & if you get tired or busy set it down & push play to start it on that chapter or page.

message 5: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (ravenacres) | 30 comments I'm still holding out. About the only way I'd get one is if I won it, and even then it would probably be more for older esoteric readings that I enjoy, or free books.

My dream is a real library in my own home. A very big room, maybe two stories. Right now I have about 3,000 books, and there's no way I'd give them up, or stop buying.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim Falconer (kimfalconer) | 297 comments Kendra wrote: "I'm still holding out. About the only way I'd get one is if I won it, and even then it would probably be more for older esoteric readings that I enjoy, or free books.

My dream is a real library..."

Your library sounds amazing already! And real. Very inspiring.

I have both physical books and a kindle. When I'm immersed in the story, it takes me 'in' no matter what the format. I see advantages in both.

Like ThinkingMiss said, the 'look up' capabilities of the Kindle are handy, and I love to control the font size. Great for travel or totting around. Then I have a set of classic books, from Bronte to Austen, London to Joyce, that are leather bound with gold gilded pages. It's a very beautiful experience to read that way as well.

I love books. Any format. No exceptions (so far) :).

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather McCorkle (heathermccorkle) | 68 comments ThinkinginMiss wrote: "This was my first time using an electronic reader. Although I don't have an e-reader, I downloaded the Kindle App for PC at Amazon.com for free. I decided to do this because I thought it would sav..."

I agree too, though I didn't always feel that way. As an avid reader and book lover I vehemently opposed ereaders for the longest time. My husband happened to get me one for Valentine's day though so I gave it a try. I'm completely converted. Not only is it more convenient than I ever could have imagined, it helps reduce the use of paper products.

Heather McCorkle

message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonbri) | 11 comments Maria wrote: "I fought against getting a kindle forever but because I like to read so much I was starting to run out of space! Now I have a keyboard and a fire as well and it was one of the best purchases/gifts ..."

I am currently lugging ASOIAF #3 around everywhere I go! My bag would feel so empty without a book in it lol not sure if I will ever transition to ereader but you never know

message 9: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (ravenacres) | 30 comments Thanks Kim, I joke that if my parents have been crack-addicts, I would have too. Fortunately, they were book addicts, and I got that from them. They have about 2,000 books, as well, and both had a fair collection when they married 38 years ago. The books are always an underlying joke/game in my family, between jokes of having to add more bookcases, to funny squabbling over authors. I got dad started on Clive Cussler, and we are always joking over who the books belong too. :-)

Adore books, and while I'm still not sure on e-readers, I do admit, if it gets people reading more, that's fantastic!

Leather bound, mmm! Sounds lovely! And I bet they smell great too! LOL!

message 10: by KaSonndra (last edited Jun 10, 2012 12:42PM) (new)

KaSonndra Leigh (alestasia) | 2 comments I love books no matter what the format. I recently broke down and bought a Nook. Just as others have said, I started running out of space for my physical books on the shelves. I have started renovating a room to make into a library. Hopefully that will help.

I'll always love a book I can hold, smell, feel, and love (I'm talking about BOOKS here. Let me emphasize that. LOL). Since I've begun giving reviews on a professional level, I've moved on to the kindle on my iPhone (which I still prefer over my heavy NOOK). I was one of the ones who stated that I'd never buy an e-reader. Oh how the temptation of conveniently modern technology has taken over me. **sighs and picks up Nook**

message 11: by Kim (last edited Jun 10, 2012 04:49PM) (new)

Kim Falconer (kimfalconer) | 297 comments Kendra - They do smell good! Like Christmas night winter.

KaSonndra - That's why they say, Never say never . . .

message 12: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (areia) | 9 comments I also never say never,
So at the moment I have not succumed to the ereader, I read alot as it is.I would become one of people of habit that i dont like, you know the ones that have to type a text while walking in the street that bump into you, that in turn dont look at you while they mutter sorry with no meaning, I would be one of those people but with an ereader lol.
I love the feel and smell of paper new and old far to much. I love curling up in some corner be it in a book store, under a tree, beside at least with a book you can rest,look up take time to breathe. besides im trying to life without a home of flashing green lights of various charging materials.
I think I will say I will never ever buy one, but if I was bought one as a gift ...... would be rude not to use it wouldnt it ?

message 13: by Barnyard (new)

Barnyard ISF (barnyardisf) | 121 comments How are e-readers charged? Is there a solar panel option? A 'green reader'?

message 14: by Kim (last edited Jun 11, 2012 04:21PM) (new)

Kim Falconer (kimfalconer) | 297 comments Oh, good Q. Mine (kindle) charges through my computer or wall socket, so if I was on a solar panel system, solar battery connection, I could charge that way.

The green eReader! I'll google it.

Okay, short overview here. Going Green with eReaders and this one, How Green is my iPad? It concludes with:

So, how many volumes do you need to read on your e-reader to break even?

With respect to fossil fuels, water use and mineral consumption, the impact of one e-reader payback equals roughly 40 to 50 books. When it comes to global warming, though, it’s 100 books; with human health consequences, it’s somewhere in between.

Interesting!

message 15: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (sociallyawkwardbookworm) Also a hold out. I cannot imagine reading and not holding a real book! I very rarely buy books thanks to my local library and when I do buy books I buy used copies from Amazon, Half.com, or from my library's book sale.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather McCorkle (heathermccorkle) | 68 comments I've made it a habit to buy the ebook first and then if I love it, I buy a physical copy for my personal library to help support the author further.

Heather McCorkle

message 17: by ThinkinginMiss (last edited Jun 12, 2012 05:11PM) (new)

ThinkinginMiss | 13 comments Wow! There have been a lot of interesting comments on this subject since I made the first post.

I did an Internet search to see if e-readers are being used in schools. I found two articles about a three year study being conducted in the Dallas, Texas, area to see how e-readers affected reluctant readers. One article http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/0... said that boys "valued" reading more with an e-reader while girls said they "valued" reading less with an e-reader as opposed to a paper book. Another article
http://goodereader.com/blog/electroni...
listed the reasons the boys said they liked the e-reader more than the paper book. The boys gave these reasons for liking the e-readers:

"The books are always available, the letter size can be enlarged, and the device can often read-aloud the text depending on publisher and author preference. Perhaps the most profound argument for the use of e-readers in this type of setting is the fact that the other students are not aware of what book their neighbors are reading, minimizing the embarrassment that may come from having to read a book well below the student's grade level."

message 18: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Jade (goodreadscomlillianjade) | 3 comments I also buy the ebook first,then buy the print version so support the author and their writing. I like to have the physical copy of anything I really like, or an author I enjoy following.

message 19: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 3 comments Lillian wrote: "I also buy the ebook first,then buy the print version so support the author and their writing. I like to have the physical copy of anything I really like, or an author I enjoy following."

I totally understand, like I have two copies of every single Jane Austen book one in ereader format and another in print because I just love the feel of paper between my fingers and the noise of rustling pages.

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim Falconer (kimfalconer) | 297 comments Cassandra wrote: "Lillian wrote: "I also buy the ebook first,then buy the print version so support the author and their writing. I like to have the physical copy of anything I really like, or an author I enjoy follo..."

I admit to also being a two media reader. If I love a book, I want it on my shelf AND on my Kindle.

Of course, this is music to any author's ears! :)

message 21: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (areia) | 9 comments mmm I need someone to argue the Green benifits better, whats the expectant life expectancy of a ereader kindle etc, how are the parts recycled, alot of people will just throw on landfill and buy another, who lends there kindle, when books are easier to lend,

Paper=recycled, will decompose if dumped via landfill, and no doubt last longer than an e reader, ( I currently own 1500+ books ageing between, 1 month to over hundred years old )

I can see the benifits, size and weight and space, increase of free reads. but in the long run I dont see it as green as makers are making out.
All the energy to make the item, cheap labour to manafacture, the energy to charge the items all the time.

message 22: by Barnyard (last edited Jun 14, 2012 04:24PM) (new)

Barnyard ISF (barnyardisf) | 121 comments The two times I read the most in my life were on the road, read Moby-Dick, Homer's The Iliad & The Odyssey, etc, and in the woods reading Roots: The Saga of an American Family, Lord of the Rings series, & many more that I can't think of. I was never a very inspired reader in school once they started forcing us to read things I didn't feel like reading at that moment. Mainly things that didn't have animals as the characters.

In both instances which started me to read again, battery power, or power in general was a major lack there of. Video camera batteries & cell phone batteries in the woods were top priority. Eventually we got a Solar Panel out in the Mattole but it was stashed miles away on a non-hot mountain since it was more valuable than food. On the road I rarely thought about the need of power (pre-laptops.)

I love flashlights that are either gear-crank powered or have their own little solar panels. What if car dash-boards had solar panels that you can plug your devises into? Or solar panels on our mobile phones? The problem with most 'green technology' is that it tends to not be affordable to the layman. There would be solar panels everywhere if we knew how to make them or could afford them. One thing I don't understand is how batteries work.

message 23: by Heather (last edited Jun 15, 2012 02:42PM) (new)

Heather McCorkle (heathermccorkle) | 68 comments Zoe wrote: "mmm I need someone to argue the Green benifits better, whats the expectant life expectancy of a ereader kindle etc, how are the parts recycled, alot of people will just throw on landfill and buy an..."

Good point Zoe. From an environmental stand point, I love my ereader because of the trees it saves. I'm not a fan of how the big publishers print and send hundreds, and often thousands, of books out just 'hoping' they'll sell. I worked in a book store long ago and the books that don't sell, many publisher have a policy of returning only the cover. Which means you tear the cover off, tear the book in half and throw it in the trash. Heartbreaking.

The revolution of small presses who are embracing print on demand (books that are printed only after they are ordered by the customer) is incredibly encouraging though. I only wish the big publishers would embrace this much more environmentally conscious way of selling physical books.

I only have to charge my ereader maybe once a week and I can store more books on it than I'll ever read. On top of that, I hear they are working on a solar charger for ereader, which would be fantastic!

I didn't want to convert because I love physcial books, but things stacked up until I couldn't resist any longer. ;)

Heather McCorkle

message 24: by Syahira (new)

Syahira theres a solar powered kindle which cost the same as a kindle so I opted out. Its useful if you always use your book light case.

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Lighted-C...

I read at an average 20 books per month (I realized it now since last year) and having an ereader saves me from buying too many physical books that read them once before storing. I have a small family house so having loads books does clutter the house. I do read from my laptop but I dislike having to keep it charged all the time.

Since 2009, I usually splurge on books on end of the year from 90% off annual warehouse sales and once in a month I would buy from bookshops that sells overprinted books. I faced less temptation to buy newer and popular physical books ever since I had an ereader. I do read newer books but I get them in digital.

With an ereader, you can get free books rather easily with daily deals or out-of copyrights or arcs. I rarely charge my kindle 4 since the battey does last for weeks unless you kept surfing via the kindle. I never keep my Kindle at zero battery but I do notice it took less than 10 minutes to charge it back to full via the pc or even faster with wall plug.

And sometimes I read a couple of books at the same time so having one is definitely a plus if you got bored and want something else.

Not everyone is able to afford spending more on physical books and spaces or maintenance for older/damaged (mildew, termites, paint, oil, etc) books or near enough to travel to a library frequently. I do find an e-reader to be a worthy investment in long run since a kindle usually last a year (on warranty) or two if you're careful with it.

message 25: by Barnyard (new)

Barnyard ISF (barnyardisf) | 121 comments Syahira wrote: "theres a solar powered kindle which cost the same as a kindle so I opted out. Its useful if you always use your book light case.

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Lighted-C......"

Wow, cool. Thanks! Yeah, I live in a small space above the barn. The books definitely have a nice percentage. =) Maybe someday. Saw my brother's ipad this week for the 1st time, pretty amazing!

message 26: by Debby (new)

Debby (debbyfeo) Guess I'm going to have to get an e-reader, because some books are not available in print.
Looking forward to reading "Path of the Stray", when it comes in the mail.
But, joy is a good hardcover book in my hands!

message 27: by Debby (new)

Debby (debbyfeo) I "bit the bullet" and bought a Kindle Touch from Amazon. Now I can do even more reading, hopefully not at the expense of writing! I'm in poetry mode at the moment, with some short stories percolating.

message 28: by Kim (new)

Kim Falconer (kimfalconer) | 297 comments Debby wrote: "I "bit the bullet" and bought a Kindle Touch from Amazon. Now I can do even more reading, hopefully not at the expense of writing! I'm in poetry mode at the moment, with some short stories percola..."

Oh let us know when Path of the Stray arrives. Soon I hope! Congrats on the Kindle Touch! The best advice to writers is to read, read, read. I remember Stephen King saying: 'Four hours of writing a day, four hours of reading.' It feeds the Muse!

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina | 2 comments Zoe wrote: "mmm I need someone to argue the Green benifits better, whats the expectant life expectancy of a ereader kindle etc, how are the parts recycled, alot of people will just throw on landfill and buy an..."

I actually do lend my kindle because I got an iPad for Christmas so i figure someone else can read on my kindle. My 19 year old loans her kindle to her younger siblings. We have the kindle app on our phones and and use It to read while getting pedicures. I have had my kindle for 2 years and I really do love it for the storage.

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim Falconer (kimfalconer) | 297 comments Tina wrote: "Zoe wrote: "mmm I need someone to argue the Green benifits better, whats the expectant life expectancy of a ereader kindle etc, how are the parts recycled, alot of people will just throw on landfil..."

Good point, Tina. I've a few friends that I swap kindles with. It is amazing for storage!

message 31: by Debby (last edited Jul 04, 2012 11:22AM) (new)

Debby (debbyfeo) Kim wrote: "Debby wrote: "I "bit the bullet" and bought a Kindle Touch from Amazon. Now I can do even more reading, hopefully not at the expense of writing! I'm in poetry mode at the moment, with some short s..."

Update: "Path of the Stray" hasn't arrived yet. Got my new Kindle yesterday and I am thrilled with it! Downloaded books from: Kim Falconer, Astrid Cooper, Rachel Olivier, Tyree Campbell, J. Alan Erwine, Bertena Varney, Chuck Barrett, and the list goes on...

message 32: by Kim (new)

Kim Falconer (kimfalconer) | 297 comments Debby wrote: "Update: "Path of the Stray" hasn't arrived yet. Got my new Kindle yesterday and I am thrilled with it! "

Yay for Kindle! Wow, you went to town! Love that! I am sure Path of the Stray will arrive soon. They are shipping from New Zealand, I think, so there is a bit of time laps if the stocks run down and they have to reorder from the publisher . . . Let us know when it lands!

message 33: by Debby (new)

Debby (debbyfeo) Kim wrote: "Debby wrote: "Update: "Path of the Stray" hasn't arrived yet. Got my new Kindle yesterday and I am thrilled with it! "

Yay for Kindle! Wow, you went to town! Love that! I am sure Path of the Stray..."

"Path of the Stray" arrived yesterday, and I immediately started to read it.

message 34: by Kim (new)

Kim Falconer (kimfalconer) | 297 comments Debby wrote: ""Path of the Stray" arrived yesterday, and I immediately started to read it. "

That's excellent, Debby! Let us know how you go, and thank you for supporting #ISF! Hope you love the journey :)

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veronicabuhl) | 23 comments I, too, have been holding out for so long on getting an e-reader but my fiance finally convinced me and I have purchased an iPad with the iBook and Nook apps downloaded and I have bought a few books too. I am still getting used to it because I am very much a romantic, traditionalist and love the feel of paper when turning the pages and the smell of a new book. But I travel a lot and as a consequence we move a lot and this last move convinced me that until I settle down and buy a house that has a library in it I don't want to pack up and move another box of books again. LOL!

I am really liking the iPad and got it rather than a Kindle or Nook because I like to be able to email and use it as a computer when traveling and not have to carry my laptop all the time. So I got a keyboard for it and it's a nice mini laptop. I also wanted to be able to share the movies that I have in my iTunes with the iPad because you can't really do that easily with the Nook. When I fly I need my movies, shows, games, and books to keep me busy during the flight. So this seemed like the perfect solution for me. I think it's going to work out just fine.

message 36: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (ravenacres) | 30 comments A friend of mine upgraded to a newer Kindle, and is passing me her older one. I've been pulling random freebies off Amazon, since work can get slow, but I can read online. So I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how the Kindle works out.

message 37: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (areia) | 9 comments Ok this is a little childish but when someone sent me this link for a bit of fun, i decided to type in books vs kindle result :D

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?...

I was so pleased untill i typed in e-reader dag-nam-it
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?...

battle lost, knickers!!

but still fun to play around with names etc

message 38: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (ravenacres) | 30 comments Hey Kim! When are you going to get your books on Amazon?! :-) I'm gonna snag them on the Kindle when I get the ereader, and have been recommending them to friends, but even with getting the ereader, I'd still like them in book format!

Thanks!

message 39: by Kim (new)

Kim Falconer (kimfalconer) | 297 comments Kendra wrote: "Hey Kim! When are you going to get your books on Amazon?! :-) I'm gonna snag them on the Kindle when I get the ereader, and have been recommending them to friends, but even with getting the erea..."

Thanks for asking, Kenda. I have a new series being 'shopped' in the USA right now and all the QE books too so fingers crossed a publisher falls in love with them and zoosh, they are up on Amazon in physical book form (and for a very reasonable price!)

message 40: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (ravenacres) | 30 comments Yeah! I'll keep an eye out!