The Riyria Revelations discussion

Book 1: The Crown Conspiracy > Favorite Scene

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) | 18 comments I don't know that I can pick my favorite but here are some I really liked.

- Outside the prison when Royce is trying to figure out how to get in

- Myron talking about his friend that died and is buried

- Hadrian fighting with the Pickering boy

- Alric charging the gate recklessly

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments A favorite scene? Gosh, I loved the whole book! LOL I would have to agree on Hadrian fighting the Pickering boy and Alric charging the gate. I'll have to think some more on others I would call favorites!

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 268 comments Mod
I liked he scene in the prison when the guards are rushing across the bridge...Alric is deciding whether he should read the inscription - Hadrian is poised in a narrow section ready to fend off as many as he can...calculating each footfall of the approach masses. Then pooof...they all stop dead. It was GREAT!

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 34 comments I liked the scene where Royce and Arista are trying to descend the stairwell of her tower and the dwarf is critiquing Royce's style and ingenuity.

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I liked when they were at the burnt out monastary... it was a rather touching scene.

message 6: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cswagner) | 6 comments I though the whole prison scene was really great. From the beginning, when Royce was trying to get in, all the way to the end when they were escaping with Esrahaddon. I really enjoyed it.

message 7: by Robin (new)

I'm going to add another "favorite scene" - I really like at the Pickering's Drondil fields where Hadrian and Mauvin spar.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 56 comments Chris wrote: "I liked the scene where Royce and Arista are trying to descend the stairwell of her tower and the dwarf is critiquing Royce's style and ingenuity. "

I'm surprised that Royce didn't off that darned dwarf, but now I know why! I imagined in my head that Royce was going to completely go postal on someone for that if he couldn't get to the dwarf.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 56 comments My favorite scene was actually more in the beginning, when Royce and Hadrian are floating down the river with Alric contemplating their futures after they retire. Of course, a recurring theme throughout the series, but that first sequence was a great lead in to the rest of the book and series, as a matter of fact.

message 10: by Ridan (new)

Ridan | 41 comments I too like the recurring theme of ... maybe we should try ... xyz ...I also like the running gag with refernces to the play "The Crown Conspiracy".

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 2 comments I like the parts where Royce tries to figure out how to get into the tower and when Hadrian fights with the Pickering brothers.

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) **waves** Hi Courtney. I think there's an intro thread. Did you visit? Sorry, I let Court join Goodreads, finally and what is the first group she joins?

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 347 comments Mod
Courtney! Is that THE Courtney? My favorite fan Courtney?

**waves frantically**

The place wasn't complete without you. Interesting picture. I really pictured you differently.

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Haha! It is THE Courtney. Her mother finally gave in and let her come over to Goodreads. She has such a pretty face in person, her pictures just don't do her justice. Sigh.

message 15: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 2 comments Nope they don't. And I am a big fan of your books.

message 16: by Robin (new)

Welcome Courtney,
I hope you don't mind but Michael talks about you often in face-to-face book clubs. He really gets a kick out of your enthusiasm. Glad you have enjoyed the series.

And thank Mom for letting her come join us.

message 17: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) Well, I figured a site that encourages her to read and discuss can't be all that bad. Although, she gets limited internet time. She's nagging me for the next book. Sigh. Impatient little bugger.

message 18: by Robin (new)

I think my favorite scene is when in Guitaria - Hadrian and Royce are bracing for the on slaught of guards and they just "stop". Then Esrahaddon walks by and says...basically...are you coming?

message 19: by Mattie (new)

Mattie | 24 comments I really loved the whole book, but I have to say I especially liked the scenes with Royce trying to get Arista out of the tower and Hadrian fighting Mauvin. :) They were intense and exciting.

message 20: by Krud (new)

Krud | 6 comments I loved every scene. Very cinematic. I can easily see these becoming a series of six movies, with Joseph Fiennes as Royce, and Ryan Reynolds as Hadrian. (Is there a thread for casting ideas for the different roles?)

message 21: by Michael (new)

Who would play whom come up often...I always find it interesting. I'll make sure the casting director gets all the feedback as I'm sure they'll give me complete control over such decisions...they will right? Well considering the chances of landing a deal are so miniscule I guess not worrying about this level of control is a moot.

message 22: by Riki (new)

Riki (grifter730) | 9 comments You know, all the covers have Hadrian with black hair, but I don't recall ever reading anywhere in the descriptions what color hair he has.

message 23: by Mattie (new)

Mattie | 24 comments I can't see Ryan Reynolds as Hadrian. I think Reynolds is too...eww.

message 24: by Krud (last edited Jun 28, 2012 06:58PM) (new)

Krud | 6 comments I'll admit I haven't seen enough of his acting to have an opinion one way or the other, and my suggestion was based largely on a Google image of him that vaguely resembled what I imagined Hadrian looked like. Anyway, I think if it ever becomes a movie, I will be fine with whomever they choose. (As long as it's not, like, Chris O'Donnell or something.)

message 25: by Michael (new)

I'm not sure if I actually ever said the color of Hadrian's hair - but I always considered it a sandy, light brown/dirty blond color.

message 26: by Riki (new)

Riki (grifter730) | 9 comments Not sure why, I always pictured him like Russell Crowe during his Gladiator days. That was one morose character, but he had the badassness that was Hadrian, maybe that's why.

message 27: by Mattie (last edited Jul 01, 2012 12:58PM) (new)

Mattie | 24 comments If it became a movie, I don't know who I would choose to play Royce and Hadrian, but I would be LIVID if, say, one of the Hemsworth brothers were chosen,or Taylor Lautner or some other annoying "heartthrob". Yuck.

message 28: by Michael (new)

Haha - I always find discussions on casting very entertaining and probably the closest I'll ever get to discussing Riyria and "movie" together.

message 29: by Jax (new)

Jax | 6 comments Riki wrote: "You know, all the covers have Hadrian with black hair, but I don't recall ever reading anywhere in the descriptions what color hair he has."

My complaint there was that the features of the guy on the front seemed more like how I saw Royce (minus the weapons of course! :D)
I decided to take it that the Artist came up with an idea to have "both" Hadrian and Royce on the cover with only one person! :D

message 30: by Jax (new)

Jax | 6 comments As for my favorite scene... there are way too many! the whole Book was Fantastic...

But I did have a chuckle at Royce rescuing Arista from the Tower, And "not doing such a good job of it"... :D

message 31: by Pete (new)

Pete Nardone | 1 comments Jax wrote: But I did have a chuckle at Royce rescuing Arista from the Tower, And "not doing such a good job of it"... :D"

"SPOILER ALERT" some of us haven't gotten that far yet. Though I did see some rescue coming...

message 32: by Michael (new)

@Jax - you brought a smile to my face with that line. It's been a while since I've thought of it.