Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > May, in Barryland

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2940 comments Stolen Prey: John Sanford
Another witty and entertaining procedural with a bit more humor, and a bit more blood. (B+)

The Silent Bride: Leslie Glass
Maybe she ran out of “Time” titles, but this is April Woo and Mike Sanchez solving another grisly series of murders, this time of brides, as they are about to get married. (B)

Lullaby: Ace Adkins (A Spenser novel)
On the one hand, the book shows the strength of the characters. Adkins suses the right people,treats them much as Parker did, and manages to use many of the expressions and idioms we have come to expect. On the other hand, there was maybe a little something of the soul of Parker missing from the book. The Jesse Stone was almost indistinguishable from the original, this was a little longer, a little harder, but worth the read. (B)

Boca Mournings: Steven Forman
Our retired Boston Hero policeman returns, a bit more mellow, just as funny, and with the keeen sense of humor that made the first book so appealing. (B+)

They Shoot Puppies, Don’t They?: Christopher Buckley
The master of political satire strikes again, as a lobbyist and conservative commentator team up to foster war with China in the hopes of selling more weapons to the military industrial complex. (B+)

Wild Thing: Josh Bezall
The Dr of Death comes back again, lightly hidden in the witness protection program, but still bent on mayhem and mystery. (B+)

Unhinged: Sarah Graves
Chick lit for sure. The woman just wants to renovate her house in Maine, but bombers and murderers get in the way. (B-)

Prepared for Rage: Dana Stabenow
This would be her post 9/111 book, almost a techno thriller about the hunt for an elusive terrorist with malice in his heart. (B)

Prime Witness: Steve Martini
His second Paul Madriani novel. Nobody can make things more hopeless than Martini and then pull off the win. (B)

Catch Me: AJ Holt
A somewhat unoriginal tale, vengeful ex lawperson brought back to solve “the one she put away”, with the addition of a criminal whose mission in life is to kill the lawperson. The story lurches around for a few hundred pages and then quickly and improbably ends. (C+)

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3587 comments I really enjoyed LULLABY!

message 3: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1113 comments I love the Barryland lol. Spenser was pretty good, I don't know if the spirit wasn't there or if I just thought it was't, because it wasn't Parker

message 4: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1113 comments I love the Barryland lol. Spenser was pretty good, I don't know if the spirit wasn't there or if I just thought it was't, because it wasn't Parker

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1113 comments Sorry lol

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments I can't wait to get my hands on Stolen Prey!

And I liked Lullaby.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Good month in Barryland! You visited with several familiar character friends. ;)
I love the Stabemow series books but haven't been motivated for her stand-alones - I am generally not a fan of books that feature terrorism.

message 8: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments I am also not a fan of books that feature terrorism unless they are from an unusual perspective and/or focus on cultural motivations for terrorism that I feel the need to know about. I say that because I recently read a mystery from the perspective of a Palestinian who is very opposed to terrorism for the F2F mystery group and I was impressed with it. I intend to read the rest of the series. I also downloaded a short story dealing with the same character for my Kindle. The book I read was Fourth Assassin: An Omar Yussef Mystery. Of course that was OOO which didn't bother me. If you want to start at the beginning of the series, you need to read The Collaborator of Bethlehemwhich is waiting for me at the library.

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Good month, Barry. I liked Flowers in the side plot in Stolen Prey.

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments A great month in Barryland ;) I just finished Lullaby and I think Mr. Parker would be proud! Trying to catch up on the Jesse Stone series.

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2940 comments I can't wait to get my hands on Stolen Prey!... I thought that was what the library called your visits.

message 12: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1181 comments I'm looking forward to listening to both Wild Thing: A Novel and They Eat Puppies, Don't They?: A Novel so I am glad to see that you enjoyed them both.

message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments Barry wrote: "I can't wait to get my hands on Stolen Prey!... I thought that was what the library called your visits."

Oh now, see....

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7781 comments Daniel wrote: "Good month, Barry. I liked Flowers in the side plot in Stolen Prey."

Do I detect a pun, Dan?

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14201 comments Good points for when books of that type are more appealing, Shomeret.
I have read and appreciated some books with terrorism in the plot, some because they are part of a series or from a favorite author, some related to 9 - 11 that I felt I needed to read.
The pov is important, similar to my being a bit uncomfortable rooting for or identifying with a mc like Dexter, who is a serial killer; I need only somewhat limited, third-person-like contact with a terrorist character.
Shomeret wrote: "I am also not a fan of books that feature terrorism unless they are from an unusual perspective and/or focus on cultural motivations for terrorism that I feel the need to know about.."

message 16: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Dan wrote: I liked Flowers in the side plot in Stolen Prey."

Do I detect a pun, Dan?"

A pun? Me?